Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 50V warning on RCD test

Having bought a DiLOG electrical multifunction tester I thought I'd better
give our house installation a quick check over and knock me down wiv a
feavver if the RCD test warns '50V' (do not pass go, do not collect ...).

Checked at different sockets, and did Z1+Z2 type tests L-PE (PFC) and L-N
(PSC) and they're sensible values, and checked continuity between N and PE
at outlet I'm testing and earth at CU and company head, and it all seems
nice and tight so I don't think I really do have an earthing problem. So
what could be causing the tester to complain? (Apart from the tester
itself being NBG, which I hope is not the case.)

--
John Stumbles

I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body
- until I realised what was telling me that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
Having bought a DiLOG electrical multifunction tester I thought I'd better
give our house installation a quick check over and knock me down wiv a
feavver if the RCD test warns '50V' (do not pass go, do not collect ...).

Checked at different sockets, and did Z1+Z2 type tests L-PE (PFC) and L-N
(PSC) and they're sensible values, and checked continuity between N and PE
at outlet I'm testing and earth at CU and company head, and it all seems
nice and tight so I don't think I really do have an earthing problem. So
what could be causing the tester to complain?

Not familiar with the particular instrument, but an o/c neutral
connection in the test lead (etc.) or transposed L & N connections might
be relevant.

--
Andy

SCAM WARNING successn08 Home Repair 0 February 21st 08 04:12 PM
* * * WARNING * * * [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 17th 07 06:57 AM
A warning Roger Shoaf Woodworking 3 January 5th 07 03:05 AM
OT-Warning to men Gunner Metalworking 14 January 11th 05 06:10 AM