DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help with theft prevention (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/248578-help-theft-prevention.html)

SantaUK May 3rd 08 09:38 PM

Help with theft prevention

I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of £250 worth
of glasses. Basically the stands that the glasses are stored on, the small
rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need a solution like this. I'm
after something like a straw, but a very thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in
diameter, with a core running through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It
needs to be flexible to bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the
glasses cant be squeezed out.

Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do the job?

Regards

SantaUK

Colin Wilson May 3rd 08 10:54 PM

Help with theft prevention

I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of £250 worth
of glasses. Basically the stands that the glasses are stored on, the small
rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need a solution like this. I'm
after something like a straw, but a very thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in
diameter, with a core running through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It
needs to be flexible to bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the
glasses cant be squeezed out.
Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do the job?

It's a little hard to imagine your method of securing them, but would
cheap foam pipe lag make it hard / awkward enough to stop them
disappearing in a hurry ?

[email protected] May 3rd 08 11:01 PM

Help with theft prevention

SantaUK wrote:
I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of �250 worth
of glasses. Basically the stands that the glasses are stored on, the small
rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need a solution like this. I'm
after something like a straw, but a very thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in
diameter, with a core running through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It
needs to be flexible to bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the
glasses cant be squeezed out.

Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do the job?

Regards

SantaUK

not very clear there - but maybe a flexible water pipe inside another,
eg the stuff used for fishtanks & cars

George May 3rd 08 11:04 PM

Help with theft prevention

"SantaUK" wrote in message

Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do the job?

Regards

SantaUK

Yes, A pic of the stand would help considerably ie none of us have a crystal
ball.

Doki May 3rd 08 11:15 PM

Help with theft prevention

SantaUK wrote:
I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of £250
worth of glasses. Basically the stands that the glasses are stored
on, the small rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need a
solution like this. I'm after something like a straw, but a very
thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in diameter, with a core running
through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It needs to be flexible to
bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the glasses cant be
squeezed out.
Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do the
job?

IME the more expensive frames are kept behind glass. The cheaper stuff is on
free display much as it would be in specsavers, but your Lindbergs etc. are
behind glass and you only get to fondle them if you're actually picking a
set of glasses.

Frank Erskine May 3rd 08 11:16 PM

Help with theft prevention

On Sat, 3 May 2008 21:38:29 +0100, "SantaUK"
wrote:

I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of £250 worth
of glasses. Basically the stands that the glasses are stored on, the small
rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need a solution like this. I'm
after something like a straw, but a very thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in
diameter, with a core running through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It
needs to be flexible to bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the
glasses cant be squeezed out.

Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do the job?

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.

--
Frank Erskine

The Medway Handyman May 4th 08 02:06 AM

Help with theft prevention

wrote:

I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of
£250 worth of glasses. Basically the stands that the glasses are
stored on, the small rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need
a solution like this. I'm after something like a straw, but a very
thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in diameter, with a core running
through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It needs to be flexible to
bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the glasses cant be
squeezed out.

Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do
the job?

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.

They caught the guy who stole them - he claimed he had been framed.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Rod May 4th 08 09:13 AM

Help with theft prevention

wrote:

I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of
�250 worth of glasses. Basically the stands that the glasses are
stored on, the small rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need
a solution like this. I'm after something like a straw, but a very
thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in diameter, with a core running
through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It needs to be flexible to
bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the glasses cant be
squeezed out.

Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do
the job?

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.

They caught the guy who stole them - he claimed he had been framed.

So they put him in gaol. Finished sentence and let out. Went and did the
same again.

Obviously refractory to punishment. :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Andy Hall May 4th 08 09:28 AM

Help with theft prevention

On 2008-05-04 09:13:42 +0100, Rod said:

wrote:

I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of
�250 worth of glasses. Basically the stands that the glasses are
stored on, the small rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need
a solution like this. I'm after something like a straw, but a very
thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in diameter, with a core running
through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It needs to be flexible to
bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the glasses cant be
squeezed out.

Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do
the job?

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.

They caught the guy who stole them - he claimed he had been framed.

So they put him in gaol. Finished sentence and let out. Went and did
the same again.

Obviously refractory to punishment. :-)

Unless he claimed discrimination as a result of chromatic aberration....

Andy Hall May 4th 08 09:29 AM

Help with theft prevention

On 2008-05-04 02:06:59 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

wrote:

I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of
£250 worth of glasses. Basically the stands that the glasses are
stored on, the small rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need
a solution like this. I'm after something like a straw, but a very
thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in diameter, with a core running
through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It needs to be flexible to
bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the glasses cant be
squeezed out.

Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do
the job?

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.

They caught the guy who stole them - he claimed he had been framed.

Perhaps somebody will bring him a bokeh.

Rod May 4th 08 09:42 AM

Help with theft prevention

On 2008-05-04 09:13:42 +0100, Rod said:

wrote:

[...]

Ended up in a coma.

--
Rod

onset.

Frank Erskine May 4th 08 10:25 AM

Help with theft prevention

On Sun, 4 May 2008 09:28:15 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2008-05-04 09:13:42 +0100, Rod said:

wrote:

[...]

That's a different sphere altogether.

--
Frank Erskine

Mogga May 4th 08 10:47 AM

Help with theft prevention

On Sun, 04 May 2008 10:25:13 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.

They caught the guy who stole them - he claimed he had been framed.

So they put him in gaol. Finished sentence and let out. Went and did
the same again.

Obviously refractory to punishment. :-)

Unless he claimed discrimination as a result of chromatic aberration....

That's a different sphere altogether.

That's a very short sighted way of looking at it.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

geoff May 4th 08 11:52 AM

Help with theft prevention

In message 481d739f@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2008-05-04 09:13:42 +0100, Rod said:

wrote:

I work in a store with an opticians, and we had a theft today of
0 stored on, the small rimmed glasses are easily slid through. I need
a solution like this. I'm after something like a straw, but a very
thick straw, about 20 to 30mm in diameter, with a core running
through it at about 9 or 10mm diameter. It needs to be flexible to
bend about 70 degrees, but rigid enough that the glasses cant be
squeezed out.
Anyone got an idea of any pipe etc that I could get that would do
the job?

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.
They caught the guy who stole them - he claimed he had been framed.

So they put him in gaol. Finished sentence and let out. Went and did
the same again.
Obviously refractory to punishment. :-)

Unless he claimed discrimination as a result of chromatic aberration....

Aren't you just distorting the story ?

--
geoff

[email protected] May 4th 08 12:15 PM

Help with theft prevention

On 2008-05-04 09:13:42 +0100, Rod said:

wrote:

[...]

Or maybe you're the one looking at it through rose coloured glasses

NT

Andy Hall May 4th 08 01:00 PM

Help with theft prevention

On 2008-05-04 09:13:42 +0100, Rod said:

wrote:

[...]

Just making a spectacle of myself.

Grimly Curmudgeon May 4th 08 04:44 PM

Help with theft prevention

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.
They caught the guy who stole them - he claimed he had been framed.

So they put him in gaol. Finished sentence and let out. Went and did
the same again.
Obviously refractory to punishment. :-)

Unless he claimed discrimination as a result of chromatic aberration....

Aren't you just distorting the story ?

Just making a spectacle of myself.

Could he live with a stigma?
--

Dave

Geoff[_3_] May 4th 08 05:15 PM

Help with theft prevention

wrote:

Unless he claimed discrimination as a result of chromatic aberration....

No - CDDS, chromatic deficient disorder syndrome :-))

Andy Hall May 4th 08 06:19 PM

Help with theft prevention

On 2008-05-04 16:44:39 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.
They caught the guy who stole them - he claimed he had been framed.

So they put him in gaol. Finished sentence and let out. Went and did
the same again.
Obviously refractory to punishment. :-)

Unless he claimed discrimination as a result of chromatic aberration....

Aren't you just distorting the story ?

Just making a spectacle of myself.

Could he live with a stigma?

This gets cornea and cornea, cilia and cilia - vitreous humor in fact.
Sclera to me now that we cone retina degree of accuity about this
before we make a rod for our back.

geoff May 4th 08 06:40 PM

Help with theft prevention

In message 481df030@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2008-05-04 16:44:39 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

You'll need a focus group to solve that problem.
They caught the guy who stole them - he claimed he had been framed.

So they put him in gaol. Finished sentence and let out. Went and

the same again.
Obviously refractory to punishment. :-)
Unless he claimed discrimination as a result of chromatic
aberration....

Aren't you just distorting the story ?
Just making a spectacle of myself.

Could he live with a stigma?

This gets cornea and cornea, cilia and cilia - vitreous humor in fact.
Sclera to me now that we cone retina degree of accuity about this
before we make a rod for our back.

You spent ... minutes working that one out, didn't you

--
geoff

SantaUK May 4th 08 10:50 PM

Help with theft prevention

Oh god, what a bunch we are :-))

F[_2_] May 4th 08 11:27 PM

Help with theft prevention

On 04/05/2008 02:06 The Medway Handyman wrote:

They caught the guy who stole them

Should've gone to Specsavers...

SantaUK May 5th 08 12:24 AM

Help with theft prevention

Okay, heres the pics :-))

http://mmillar0.tripod.com/a.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/b.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/c.jpg

So once again, a flexible, but rigid "straw" type pipe, that will cover the
silver bar to stop the glasses being removed. Ideas?

geoff May 5th 08 12:38 AM

Help with theft prevention

In message , SantaUK
writes
Okay, heres the pics :-))

http://mmillar0.tripod.com/a.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/b.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/c.jpg

So once again, a flexible, but rigid "straw" type pipe, that will cover the
silver bar to stop the glasses being removed. Ideas?

surely people would buy their frames from somewhere like glasses direct
rather than the rip-off prices charged by dispensing opticians

The price of frames is obscene for a bit of bent metal or plastic -
that's why people steal them

--
geoff

Doki May 5th 08 09:03 AM

Help with theft prevention

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , SantaUK
writes
Okay, heres the pics :-))

http://mmillar0.tripod.com/a.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/b.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/c.jpg

So once again, a flexible, but rigid "straw" type pipe, that will cover
the
silver bar to stop the glasses being removed. Ideas?

surely people would buy their frames from somewhere like glasses direct
rather than the rip-off prices charged by dispensing opticians

The price of frames is obscene for a bit of bent metal or plastic - that's
why people steal them

Do **** off. Granted you can buy glasses far more cheaply mail order, but
that's because nobody checks that they fit you or fits them to you. You need
to get the correct bridge width and arm length to have glasses that fit you
properly and work right.

Doki May 5th 08 09:03 AM

Help with theft prevention

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Okay, heres the pics :-))

http://mmillar0.tripod.com/a.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/b.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/c.jpg

So once again, a flexible, but rigid "straw" type pipe, that will cover
the silver bar to stop the glasses being removed. Ideas?

Normal transparent plastic hose should work fine.

geoff May 5th 08 11:37 AM

Help with theft prevention

In message , Doki
writes
surely people would buy their frames from somewhere like glasses
direct rather than the rip-off prices charged by dispensing opticians

The price of frames is obscene for a bit of bent metal or plastic -
that's why people steal them

Do **** off. Granted you can buy glasses far more cheaply mail order,
but that's because nobody checks that they fit you or fits them to you.
You need to get the correct bridge width and arm length to have glasses
that fit you properly and work right.

**** off yourself - the price of frames is a rip off

your philosophy ?

"ITYM people who pocket what they can when they can, much like any other
business. "

--
geoff

dennis@home May 5th 08 01:57 PM

Help with theft prevention

"Doki" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , SantaUK
writes
Okay, heres the pics :-))

http://mmillar0.tripod.com/a.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/b.jpg
http://mmillar0.tripod.com/c.jpg

So once again, a flexible, but rigid "straw" type pipe, that will cover
the
silver bar to stop the glasses being removed. Ideas?

surely people would buy their frames from somewhere like glasses direct
rather than the rip-off prices charged by dispensing opticians

The price of frames is obscene for a bit of bent metal or plastic -
that's why people steal them

Do **** off. Granted you can buy glasses far more cheaply mail order, but
that's because nobody checks that they fit you or fits them to you. You
need to get the correct bridge width and arm length to have glasses that
fit you properly and work right.

You get that on the £10 frames.. the obscene prices of "designer" frames
*are* just a rip-off.
Still its peoples choices if they want to look like a moron with thick
plastic arms obscuring their view. Maybe they will be running in blinkers at
their next race?

Dave May 5th 08 06:03 PM

Help with theft prevention

dennis@home wrote:

You get that on the £10 frames.. the obscene prices of "designer" frames
*are* just a rip-off.
Still its peoples choices if they want to look like a moron with thick
plastic arms obscuring their view.

I couldn't imagine driving with my peripheral vision blocked with that
type of frame.

Maybe they will be running in blinkers at their next race?

:-)

Dave

Doki May 5th 08 07:34 PM

Help with theft prevention

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Doki
writes
surely people would buy their frames from somewhere like glasses direct
rather than the rip-off prices charged by dispensing opticians

The price of frames is obscene for a bit of bent metal or plastic -
that's why people steal them

Do **** off. Granted you can buy glasses far more cheaply mail order, but
that's because nobody checks that they fit you or fits them to you. You
need to get the correct bridge width and arm length to have glasses that
fit you properly and work right.

**** off yourself - the price of frames is a rip off

You're the one advocating theft.

your philosophy ?

"ITYM people who pocket what they can when they can, much like any other
business. "

Depends rather where you go. It is possible to buy glasses relatively
cheaply, retail, but it'll always be more expensive than buying mail order.
Designer frames are much like anything designer - some are far better made,
some are average and some just look better. The best designer frames are
made by people who do nothing but, and the worst are the ones made by big
fashion names, IMO.

Clive George May 6th 08 01:47 AM

Help with theft prevention

"Doki" wrote in message

Do **** off. Granted you can buy glasses far more cheaply mail order, but
that's because nobody checks that they fit you or fits them to you. You
need to get the correct bridge width and arm length to have glasses that
fit you properly and work right.

My current pair was bought from a proper opti-whatsits. Eye test - fine.
Fitting of frame? None of that - the frame is one size only, so you've got
to choose whichever random frame happens to fit your head, and woe betide
you if you want something unfashionable (I like large lenses) - there's
bugger all choice. And the quality of the glasses was cack too - the first
set of posh lenses lost their scratch-resist coating in little over a year,
and the frame itself is not robust at all, despite being one of those bendy
ones - I thought they'd be better at handling knocks etc, not worse.

Grrr.

So given the staggering cost difference, I'm looking at these mail order
ones - worst case I lose a little bit of money for a spare set, and I could
come out quite a lot better.

Or can you persuade me otherwise? Eg recommend what I should be looking for
in a shop?

cheers,
clive

Andy Burns[_4_] May 6th 08 08:18 AM

Help with theft prevention

On 06/05/2008 01:47, Clive George wrote:

My current pair was bought from a proper opti-whatsits. Eye test - fine.

----8----- Tale of woe

Or can you persuade me otherwise?

Not to persuade you, but I'm happy enough to pay for a "proper" one.

I've used the same shop for 19 years, always been seen by the same
partner, plenty of time to discuss things with him (including the state
of my parents' eyes, who are not his customers), he's always been happy
to calculate various thicknesses/prices for different lenses, and
steering away from the latest greatest most expensive for the sake of a
fraction of a mm of thickness.

I've only had two sets of frames and three of lenses in that time, he's
been happy to custom shape lenses and frames (once so that clip-on
sunglasses from one range would fit another range, the other to fit
frameless glasses better to my face shape and avoid the edges being
noticable) no extra charges, and never any charge for popping in for
running repairs.

I need glasses every waking minute, why scrimp?

Dave Liquorice[_2_] May 6th 08 10:40 AM

Help with theft prevention

On Tue, 6 May 2008 01:47:06 +0100, Clive George wrote:

Fitting of frame? None of that - the frame is one size only, so you've
got to choose whichever random frame happens to fit your head,

Our optemetrist shop takes the size information from the existing frames..
The ones on display are just to show the styles and for you try to see
what suits and/or you like.

and woe betide you if you want something unfashionable (I like large
lenses) - there's bugger all choice.

Unfortunately that aplies pretty much everywhere. What is it with this
apparent obsession for looking through a letter box? I wear glasses to
*see* not as a fashion statement.

And the quality of the glasses was cack too - the first set of posh
lenses lost their scratch-resist coating in little over a year,

How do you clean your lenses? Yer average bit of tissue is pretty abrasive
and add in the dust on the "dirty" lens and you have an excellent grinding
mechanisium. Same applies to that hanky in your poecket. I wash mine with
warm water and a little bit of detergent (not soap), rinse, shake off
excess water and dry on kitchen roll. The coating on may last pair is
still 100% after 3 years+. Yes, I did rub the coating of a previous pair
fairly quickly but that was using dry method to clean 'em...

and the frame itself is not robust at all, despite being one of those
bendy ones - I thought they'd be better at handling knocks etc, not
worse.

Surely they is bendy so they bend when knocked and can be repeatedly bent
back without breaking? How on earth do you manage to bend 'em in the first
place, do you need to wear glasses all the time or only for some tasks? I
haven't bent a pair of specs (other than the little arms for the bridge)
for, no I can't remember when. Maybe it's down to how long you've had them
and need to use 'em, in my case it's about 40 years and every waking
hour...

Or can you persuade me otherwise? Eg recommend what I should be looking
for in a shop?

One that will measure your head to check the frame size and order that
size for you. Note this doesn't have to be done every time, the optician
will have checked the fit and position of your existing pair, probably
without you noticing.

One that checks the fit and relationship of your eye to lens on new
glasses, even for single vision, with bi or varifocal this is pretty
important.

One that checks that the prescription, as suplied, is actually correct by
getting you to look at the chart and read out the letters on the bottom
line and that reading small print at a sensible distance is OK.

Depending on your and your parents medical history, one that can take an
image of your retina. I have a photo taken every few years but there is a
familty history of glaucoma, this means I get a free eye test. The photo
is extra but as I'm not paying for the test...

One that will provide free "routine" maintenance of the glasses, so
replacement of screws and small parts, repair of minor damage etc.

I've just got a new pair, £360. Could probably have got them online for
half that but without the checking of fit or prescription on delivery and
I'd still have to have gone to the shop for the test. Even on line I'd
have to have a visit from a travelling optictian(*) as I have varifocals..

I guess if you just need a pair of single vision for occasional use then
online is fine but anything else I'd not take the risk. Vision is your
primary sense, don't take risks with it. Bad glasses can be more than just
a headache.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Clive George May 6th 08 11:27 AM

Help with theft prevention

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
[...]

I thought that. But when the "not scrimping" frames I got aren't actually as
robust as the specsavers cheapies I got while I was a student, and they
don't really do shaping of frames or running repairs, why should I stick
with them?

cheers,
clive

Andy Burns[_4_] May 6th 08 11:36 AM

Help with theft prevention

On 06/05/2008 11:27, Clive George wrote:

I thought that. But when the "not scrimping" frames I got aren't
actually as robust as the specsavers cheapies I got while I was a
student, and they don't really do shaping of frames or running repairs,
why should I stick with them?

Sounds like you *shouldn't* stick with them, but have you tried another
local independant rather than the chainstore opticians?

dennis@home May 6th 08 12:47 PM

Help with theft prevention

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Doki" wrote in message

[...]

Shouldn't have gone to insert express.

They are not what I call opticians.. you can tell as they can't do
retinopathy for instance.

dennis@home May 6th 08 12:56 PM

Help with theft prevention

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...

Surely they is bendy so they bend when knocked and can be repeatedly bent
back without breaking? How on earth do you manage to bend 'em in the first
place, do you need to wear glasses all the time or only for some tasks? I
haven't bent a pair of specs (other than the little arms for the bridge)
for, no I can't remember when. Maybe it's down to how long you've had them
and need to use 'em, in my case it's about 40 years and every waking
hour...

The optical express own brand flexis just don't last, mine fell apart after
a couple of years even though I didn't bend them.

[...]

That sounds a bit steep, are they expensive frames? I went for the most
expensive lenses they did and it cost less with magnetic sun glass clip ons.

Rod May 6th 08 12:57 PM

Help with theft prevention

"Doki" wrote in message

[...]

Partner went to pukka opticians who gave her a test and a prescription -
but did NOT notice serious disease. Despite dramatic deterioration in
sight over a relatively short period. (O - that's age.) And several
signs/symptoms which are highly suggestive of the underlying organic
disease.

We simply cannot expect them to notice signs of disease - because they
don't. Maybe they don't have the experience/training? Maybe they don't
have the time?

To be honest, I think I would rather make do with a cheapie pair of
glasses and spend the difference on an appointment with a consultant if
I think I need more.

--
Rod

onset.

Tim Downie[_2_] May 6th 08 01:10 PM

Help with theft prevention

dennis@home wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message

Shouldn't have gone to insert express.

They are not what I call opticians.. you can tell as they can't do
retinopathy for instance.

I think you'll find that retinopathy (retinal diease) is something that you
do for yourself. ;-)

I think you mean retinoscopy. (Having said that, I've had my retinas
eamined at every opticians I've ever been to, chain or independant).

Tim