Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default [OT] Police and Mosquito Devices

Following various recent threads that mentioned and discussed the
mosquito devices, I thought the story below (from my local newspaper's
web site) relevant.

I can't help thinking that if I wanted to install a significant noise
making device that would affect the public, the planning department
would be required to approve rather than the police.

Given the usual quality of reporting, take large pinches of salt as you
read... The responses (on the same page) have their own interest.

Police crack down on teen noise device
By Oliver Evans

POLICE have pledged to crack down on the use of controversial devices
which emit high pitch sounds only audible to teenagers.

Thames Valley Police chief constable Sara Thornton said guidance will be
produced to specify when the mosquito' devices can be installed.

The devices sent out an ear-splitting noise which only those under 25
can hear.

Shopkeepers, including one at Greenway Parade, Chesham hope the devices
cause troublemaking youngsters to disperse.

It comes after a campaign by the children's commissioner for England and
backed by civil liberties groups called for them to be banned.

One Chesham youngster told the Bucks Free Press the device had left him
bedridden for three days.

In a report to Thames Valley Police Authority, Ms Thornton said: "We are
aware that mosquito devices have been used to good effect to target
anti-social behaviour and minor crime caused by some young people.

"However, we are concerned about the indiscriminate nature of these
devices."

She said: "We will therefore create guidance to specify the limited
types of scenario where these devices could be used."

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/localnews/display.var.2225531.0.police_crack_down_on_teen_no ise_device.php
--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Following various recent threads that mentioned and discussed the
mosquito devices, I thought the story below (from my local newspaper's
web site) relevant.

I can't help thinking that if I wanted to install a significant noise
making device that would affect the public, the planning department
would be required to approve rather than the police.

Why? You don't need such approval to install a bloody great outside
floodlight - and that can be even more of a public nuisance!

Given the usual quality of reporting, take large pinches of salt as
you read... The responses (on the same page) have their own interest.

Read it all, disregard half as irrelevant, a quarter as heresay, an eighth
as sensationalism to sell the paper, a sixteenth as possible fact and the
rest as the truth - and that is the level of competance of the content of a
newspaper. Cynical I know, but there we are!

Police crack down on teen noise device
By Oliver Evans

POLICE have pledged to crack down on the use of controversial devices
which emit high pitch sounds only audible to teenagers.

As usual, it's easier and less trouble for them to 'crack down' on the
victims rather than patrol the streets on foot to eradicate the cause of the
problem!

Thames Valley Police chief constable Sara Thornton said guidance will
be produced to specify when the mosquito' devices can be installed.

They can only issue guidance - there is no law preventing the owners of
these things from installing them.

The devices sent out an ear-splitting noise which only those under 25 can
hear.

It's not a "ear-splitting" noise - it's an irritation that disappears when
the person moves away - their ears are damaged more quickly by using MP3
players and the ilk with earphones at a high volume! Also, the noise cannot
be that damaging, as some 'children' are downloading the sound onto their
mobile phones so that they can be surreptitiously used in the classroom.

Shopkeepers, including one at Greenway Parade, Chesham hope the
devices cause troublemaking youngsters to disperse.

That's what they are designed for and a very effective they are too - that's
why the kiddies don't like 'em!

It comes after a campaign by the children's commissioner for England
and backed by civil liberties groups called for them to be banned.

I have a better idea - ban the Children's Commissioner and the Civil
Liberties groups!

One Chesham youngster told the Bucks Free Press the device had left
him bedridden for three days.

That is a load of old cobblers and just attention seeking - as well as
lying!

In a report to Thames Valley Police Authority, Ms Thornton said: "We
are aware that mosquito devices have been used to good effect to
target anti-social behaviour and minor crime caused by some young
people.
"However, we are concerned about the indiscriminate nature of these
devices."

I am even more concerned at the uncontrolled and undiscriminate rowdiness
and violence of some of these kiddies - and perhaps the police really should
be targetting the cause of the problem!

She said: "We will therefore create guidance to specify the limited
types of scenario where these devices could be used."

Guidance that cannot be legally enforced - so a waste of time. I'm sure
that time would be better spent by putting an effective 'bobby' or a hundred
or so back on the beat - ah, I forgot, they then have to walk and that's
against their 'human rights'!
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/localnews/display.var.2225531.0.police_crack_down_on_teen_no ise_device.php

If the the civil liberties groups, the Human Rights idiots and the damned
'do gooders' allowed parents - and others (teachers, police et-al) - to
discipline the children to teach them right from wrong, then there would be
no need for such devices.

Mind you, after being in hundreds of different dwellings in my working life,
I am of the opinion that many of the parents of these children could do with
a little discipline themselves!

Controversial some of the above may be, but it is fact and I make no
apologies.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:
Rod wrote:

POLICE have pledged to crack down on the use of controversial devices
which emit high pitch sounds only audible to teenagers.

As usual, it's easier and less trouble for them to 'crack down' on the
victims rather than patrol the streets on foot to eradicate the cause
of the problem!

Rubbish. Someone who deliberately targets other people with a device
intended to cause indiscriminate distress in a public space is not a
'victim'. If a device like this was marketed to target pensioners, blacks
or left-handed people there would be an outcry, so why would it be OK to do
it to kids?

Thames Valley Police chief constable Sara Thornton said guidance will
be produced to specify when the mosquito' devices can be installed.

They can only issue guidance - there is no law preventing the owners
of these things from installing them.

But their use is probably illegal, and should be vigorously prosecuted :

Environmental Protection Act 1990
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990...00043_en_4.htm

79.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) to (6) below, the
following matters constitute "statutory nuisances" for the
purposes of this Part, that is to say—

[...]

(g) noise emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to
health or a nuisance;

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Tanner-'op wrote:
Rod wrote:

[...]

Problem is - the police all look young enough to be able to hear these
things nowadays ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod writes:
Following various recent threads that mentioned and discussed the
mosquito devices, I thought the story below (from my local newspaper's
web site) relevant.

I can't help thinking that if I wanted to install a significant noise
making device that would affect the public, the planning department
would be required to approve rather than the police.

Given the usual quality of reporting, take large pinches of salt as you
read... The responses (on the same page) have their own interest.

I am amazed these devices haven't already been banned.
I can certainly imagine legal cases for damage to health
being brought against the manufacturers and installers.

One Chesham youngster told the Bucks Free Press the device had left him
bedridden for three days.

I think that teenage ailment well predates mosquitos ;-)

OTOH, some kids seem to have turned the tables by downloading
the mosquito as a ring-tone, which is ideal as everyone in the
classroom except the teacher can hear it. ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

geoff wrote:
snip
Problem is - the police all look young enough to be able to hear these
things nowadays ...

Ah! So it's a way if keeping the police away! Or getting your own back
for their bloomin' sirens.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
OTOH, some kids seem to have turned the tables by downloading
the mosquito as a ring-tone, which is ideal as everyone in the
classroom except the teacher can hear it. ;-)

I'd be very surprised if a mobile phone is capable of reproducing those
sort of frequencies at the power needed.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's not a "ear-splitting" noise - it's an irritation that disappears when
the person moves away - their ears are damaged more quickly by using MP3
players and the ilk with earphones at a high volume! Also, the noise cannot
be that damaging, as some 'children' are downloading the sound onto their
mobile phones so that they can be surreptitiously used in the classroom.

I rather doubt that they'd be able to handle those frequencies on such
devices!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
OTOH, some kids seem to have turned the tables by downloading
the mosquito as a ring-tone, which is ideal as everyone in the
classroom except the teacher can hear it. ;-)

I'd be very surprised if a mobile phone is capable of reproducing those
sort of frequencies at the power needed.

Then you'll be very surprised.

I rather suspect manufacturers would have been ensuring it
does work in all phones aimed at that market for last 18
months or so, since the ringtone appeared.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 00:28:04 +0100, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

Rubbish. Someone who deliberately targets other people with a device
intended to cause indiscriminate distress in a public space is not a
'victim'. If a device like this was marketed to target pensioners, blacks
or left-handed people there would be an outcry, so why would it be OK to do
it to kids?

I think it would make more sense to ask owners of such devices to
comply with the standard guidelines of short bursts only when needed.

And when groups of left-handers mill around outside shops causing a
nuisance I think it would be time to invent a device to move them on.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:11:15 +0100, Mogga wrote:

I think it would make more sense to ask owners of such devices to comply
with the standard guidelines of short bursts only when needed.

That's fair enough but surely an issue with the use of these to disperse
gangs is that you don't want them to see it as an active measure - which
could well get a strong reaction. If it's a passive always-on device then
they won't think you're 'picking on them'.

I'd go for playing classical music over speakers instead.

And when groups of left-handers mill around outside shops causing a
nuisance I think it would be time to invent a device to move them on.

Agreed. There isn't a device like that because there isn't a *problem*
like that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
OTOH, some kids seem to have turned the tables by downloading
the mosquito as a ring-tone, which is ideal as everyone in the
classroom except the teacher can hear it. ;-)

I'd be very surprised if a mobile phone is capable of reproducing those
sort of frequencies at the power needed.

Then you'll be very surprised.

I rather suspect manufacturers would have been ensuring it
does work in all phones aimed at that market for last 18
months or so, since the ringtone appeared.

I think we'd need some independent tests before I'm convinced. My
technical guess is the speakers and amps etc in a mobile phone simply
can't give the output needed at supersonic (to most) frequencies.
Nor is there some magical age where your hearing looses the upper
frequencies - nor do all start off with the same HF cutoff.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

It's not a "ear-splitting" noise - it's an irritation that disappears
when the person moves away - their ears are damaged more quickly by
using MP3 players and the ilk with earphones at a high volume! Also,
the noise cannot be that damaging, as some 'children' are downloading
the sound onto their mobile phones so that they can be surreptitiously
used in the classroom.

I rather doubt that they'd be able to handle those frequencies on such
devices!...

Be interesting to analyse the actual output of a mobile playing that ring
tone. You in a better position to do this than me?

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wont these anti-teenager noises
make babeies and small children cry
for no apparent reason to their carers?

--

[george]

~ [g] ~
~ ~
~ 07970 378 572 ~
~
www.dicegeorge.com ~
~ (c)2008 ~
~ ~

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
I'd be very surprised if a mobile phone is capable of reproducing those
sort of frequencies at the power needed.

Then you'll be very surprised.

I rather suspect manufacturers would have been ensuring it
does work in all phones aimed at that market for last 18
months or so, since the ringtone appeared.

I think we'd need some independent tests before I'm convinced. My

Um, there are classrooms full of such independent tests.

technical guess is the speakers and amps etc in a mobile phone simply
can't give the output needed at supersonic (to most) frequencies.
Nor is there some magical age where your hearing looses the upper
frequencies - nor do all start off with the same HF cutoff.

Look at something like http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/
where you select the highest frequency you can hear as your
ringtone.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

It's not a "ear-splitting" noise - it's an irritation that disappears
when the person moves away - their ears are damaged more quickly by
using MP3 players and the ilk with earphones at a high volume! Also,
the noise cannot be that damaging, as some 'children' are downloading
the sound onto their mobile phones so that they can be surreptitiously
used in the classroom.

I rather doubt that they'd be able to handle those frequencies on such
devices!...

Be interesting to analyse the actual output of a mobile playing that ring
tone. You in a better position to do this than me?

Might be .. I'll see if one of out lot has it;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
snip
Look at something like http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/
where you select the highest frequency you can hear as your
ringtone.

I'd get killed if I used the highest I can hear! It's horrible.

Age = 52, frequency I can hear = 12KHz.

Unfortunately it is rather close to the (apparent) frequency of my
tinnitus and the two together are unbearable. Also, although I cannot
hear the higher frequencies, I found I got a sensation of some sort with
some of them.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

I'd get killed if I used the highest I can hear! It's horrible.

Age = 52, frequency I can hear = 12KHz.

Unfortunately it is rather close to the (apparent) frequency of my
tinnitus and the two together are unbearable. Also, although I cannot
hear the higher frequencies, I found I got a sensation of some sort with
some of them.

Experiment IV
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZU5nMZ3O5Q

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:16:15 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:11:15 +0100, Mogga wrote:

I think it would make more sense to ask owners of such devices to comply
with the standard guidelines of short bursts only when needed.

That's fair enough but surely an issue with the use of these to disperse
gangs is that you don't want them to see it as an active measure - which
could well get a strong reaction. If it's a passive always-on device then
they won't think you're 'picking on them'.

I'd go for playing classical music over speakers instead.

Des O'Conner was used to empty nightclubs once or twice at the end of
night.

The whole issue of people finding gangs of youths intimidating is a
problem though. How do you deal with it? Getting the youths somewhere
else to hang out would help. Perhaps at their parents house?

Lots of youths often say "we are just hanging about, not doing
anything wrong" seem to ignore they are one of the few sections of
society who do hang about in large groups. It is them that don't
conform to society. As they get older they will find other places to
go, or the thrill of standing about with their mates will wear off.

And when groups of left-handers mill around outside shops causing a
nuisance I think it would be time to invent a device to move them on.

Agreed. There isn't a device like that because there isn't a *problem*
like that

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Tanner-'op wrote:
Rod wrote:

POLICE have pledged to crack down on the use of controversial
devices which emit high pitch sounds only audible to teenagers.

As usual, it's easier and less trouble for them to 'crack down' on
the victims rather than patrol the streets on foot to eradicate the
cause of the problem!

Rubbish. Someone who deliberately targets other people with a device
intended to cause indiscriminate distress in a public space is not a
'victim'. If a device like this was marketed to target pensioners,
blacks or left-handed people there would be an outcry, so why would
it be OK to do it to kids?

So someone who "deliberately targets" members of the public to "cause
indiscriminate distress in a public space" is not a menace that needs to be
moved (eradicated)? Another damn do-gooder!

Thames Valley Police chief constable Sara Thornton said guidance
will be produced to specify when the mosquito' devices can be
installed.

They can only issue guidance - there is no law preventing the owners
of these things from installing them.

But their use is probably illegal, and should be vigorously
prosecuted :

That's the beauty of the device, it is not illegal and can be used - no what
about "vigorously prosecuting" the cause of the problem? If that was done,
there would be no need for the device surely?

Environmental Protection Act 1990
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990...00043_en_4.htm

79.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) to (6) below, the
following matters constitute "statutory nuisances" for the
purposes of this Part, that is to say—

[...]

(g) noise emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to
health or a nuisance;

It's not " prejudicial to health or a nuisance" the noise is not loud enough
to cause damage to the hearing - the noise from boom-boxes is liable to
cause more damage than the poor old mosquito!

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
OTOH, some kids seem to have turned the tables by downloading
the mosquito as a ring-tone, which is ideal as everyone in the
classroom except the teacher can hear it. ;-)

I'd be very surprised if a mobile phone is capable of reproducing
those sort of frequencies at the power needed.

'tis a well documented fact Dave - and cause quite a bit of consternation in
the class-room so it seems.

Clever little beggers these youngsters - now if the troublemakers could turn
these skill to the goog... :-)

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Rubbish. Someone who deliberately targets other people with a
device intended to cause indiscriminate distress in a public space
is not a 'victim'. If a device like this was marketed to target
pensioners, blacks or left-handed people there would be an outcry,
so why would it be OK to do it to kids?

I think it would make more sense to ask owners of such devices to
comply with the standard guidelines of short bursts only when needed.

It amazes me that people can calmly discuss a sonic weapon designed for use
against children, openly on sale to anyone who wants it. The only
explanation I can imagine is that we now regard children as not being
entitled to the normal protection of the law. It's already well-established
that we care little for them (see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6359363.stm), so I suppose this is the logical
next step - sonic repellants for rats, children and other vermin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

OTOH, some kids seem to have turned the tables by downloading
the mosquito as a ring-tone, which is ideal as everyone in the
classroom except the teacher can hear it. ;-)

I suspect this is a comforting myth propagated by the device's
manufacturers, who used to offer it as a download from their sales site at
one time. Eg - "The kids dont really mind, it's all a bit of a laugh
really". I've certainly never heard kids talking about using or
downloading it, and I am 'down wit da yoof' on a daily basis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
wont these anti-teenager noises
make babeies and small children cry
for no apparent reason to their carers?

Yes, obviously. But they're only children, so they get what the deserve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Tanner-'op wrote:
Rod wrote:

POLICE have pledged to crack down on the use of controversial
devices which emit high pitch sounds only audible to teenagers.

As usual, it's easier and less trouble for them to 'crack down' on
the victims rather than patrol the streets on foot to eradicate the
cause of the problem!

Rubbish. Someone who deliberately targets other people with a
device intended to cause indiscriminate distress in a public space
is not a 'victim'. If a device like this was marketed to target
pensioners, blacks or left-handed people there would be an outcry,
so why would it be OK to do it to kids?

So someone who "deliberately targets" members of the public to "cause
indiscriminate distress in a public space" is not a menace that needs
to be moved (eradicated)? Another damn do-gooder!

Come back when you've designed a device which only causes distress to
anti-social youths. This one hurts all children, and it's a disgrace.

Thames Valley Police chief constable Sara Thornton said guidance
will be produced to specify when the mosquito' devices can be
installed.

They can only issue guidance - there is no law preventing the owners
of these things from installing them.

But their use is probably illegal, and should be vigorously
prosecuted :

That's the beauty of the device, it is not illegal and can be used -
no what about "vigorously prosecuting" the cause of the problem? If
that was done, there would be no need for the device surely?

Few prosecutions so far, but the Thames Valley Police line shows the
direction the wind is blowing. If the govt doesn't take action this year,
then it will be forced upon them by judicial review or ECHR. I shall
laugh out loud when the company refuses refunds to all it's disappointed,
child-hating customers.

Environmental Protection Act 1990
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990...00043_en_4.htm

79.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) to (6) below, the
following matters constitute "statutory nuisances" for the
purposes of this Part, that is to say—

[...]

(g) noise emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to
health or a nuisance;

It's not " prejudicial to health or a nuisance" the noise is not loud
enough to cause damage to the hearing - the noise from boom-boxes is
liable to cause more damage than the poor old mosquito!

gasp I'm really beginning to worry about your grasp of logic. It's
expressly *designed and sold* to be a nuisance!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

It amazes me that people can calmly discuss a sonic weapon designed for use
against children, openly on sale to anyone who wants it. The only
explanation I can imagine is that we now regard children as not being
entitled to the normal protection of the law. It's already well-established
that we care little for them (see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6359363.stm), so I suppose this is the logical
next step - sonic repellants for rats, children and other vermin.

Jings Steve, did some of wife's DNA rub off on you? That's almost
exactly one of her rants. She's long had the opinion that the British
really, really hate children.

In the town where we used to live in Surrey, the police used to run
activities for teenagers in the evenings. The place was a sleepy little
market town with no particular problems. In the evening it was a
pleasant place to wander around, have a coffee/beer/meal.

The police were then forced to give up this work because it doesn't fit
with government ideas of how to deal with children and police authority
views of how to spend money. Now kids are simply harassed by the police,
and the police search as hard as they can for reasons to hand out ASBOs
so they can reach their ASBO target each month.

The town is now very unpleasant to spend tim in/around and like many
small market towns after dark the kids gather around the shops, buy
cheap cider and drink themselves horizontal. I can understand why,
there's damn all else provided for them to do and as soon as they gather
somewhere the police will arrive to push them around a bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Steve Walker wrote:
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
wont these anti-teenager noises
make babeies and small children cry
for no apparent reason to their carers?

Yes, obviously. But they're only children, so they get what the deserve.

Obviously noone cares about children. We are British after all. :-)

But what about cute bunnies, squirrels, birds, dogs, cats, bats,
insects, moles, hares, hedgehogs, hamsters, ponies, foxes and all the
rest? Can they hear these things? What effects do they have? Time for
the RSPCA to jump in? (If they have the time after rescuing horses....)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
George (dicegeorge) wrote:
wont these anti-teenager noises
make babeies and small children cry
for no apparent reason to their carers?

Yes, obviously. But they're only children, so they get what the
deserve.

Obviously noone cares about children. We are British after all. :-)

But what about cute bunnies, squirrels, birds, dogs, cats, bats,
insects, moles, hares, hedgehogs, hamsters, ponies, foxes and all the
rest? Can they hear these things? What effects do they have? Time for
the RSPCA to jump in? (If they have the time after rescuing
horses....)

God yes, can you imagine the outcry if someone designed a similar device to
cause distress to any horses that ventured near your property?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tanner-'op"
saying something like:

You really are a ****, aren't you?
--

Dave

DIWANIYA - Gunmen killed two police officers and wounded another on Tuesday night in a drive-by shooting in the southern city of Diwaniya, 180 km (110 miles) south of Baghdad, police said BGKM Woodworking 0 March 15th 07 08:31 AM
mosquito magnet yourname Home Repair 8 August 5th 06 03:17 PM
Mosquito Foggers ClaudCar Home Ownership 1 April 23rd 05 04:12 PM
Mosquito killers Steve Manes Home Repair 27 April 13th 05 05:44 PM