Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What would I use to fix this?

I'm not even sure what to call this. It's a 2' high wall thingy in my
back garden. A couple of the pillars have come loose and the top bit has
come off.

You can see a photo he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204575@N04/2440648953/

The pillars and the top bit are in good order, they just need "sticking"
back together.

My question is, what would I fix this with? Just cement or is there
something a bit more specific I should use?

Does the residue of the previous fixing material need hacked off first?

Any advice gratefully received.

- Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin .@. wrote:

I'm not even sure what to call this. It's a 2' high wall thingy in my
back garden. A couple of the pillars have come loose and the top bit
has come off.

You can see a photo he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204575@N04/2440648953/

The pillars and the top bit are in good order, they just need
"sticking" back together.

My question is, what would I fix this with? Just cement or is there
something a bit more specific I should use?

Does the residue of the previous fixing material need hacked off
first?
Any advice gratefully received.

- Robin

It's called a balustrade - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balustrade

Carefully clean off the old mortar, and re-assemble using new mortar.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
I'm not even sure what to call this. It's a 2' high wall thingy in my
back garden. A couple of the pillars have come loose and the top bit has
come off.

You can see a photo he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204575@N04/2440648953/

The pillars and the top bit are in good order, they just need "sticking"
back together.

My question is, what would I fix this with? Just cement or is there
something a bit more specific I should use?

Does the residue of the previous fixing material need hacked off first?

Any advice gratefully received.

- Robin

Car body filler. Done it many times. Make sure the surfaces are clean
and dust free though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Robin wrote:
I'm not even sure what to call this. It's a 2' high wall thingy in my
back garden. A couple of the pillars have come loose and the top bit
has come off.

You can see a photo he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204575@N04/2440648953/

The pillars and the top bit are in good order, they just need
"sticking" back together.

My question is, what would I fix this with? Just cement or is there
something a bit more specific I should use?

Does the residue of the previous fixing material need hacked off first?

Any advice gratefully received.

- Robin

Car body filler. Done it many times. Make sure the surfaces are clean
and dust free though.

ALMOST the same, but epoxy 'mortar' is slightly cheaper and a slightly
better color.