Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing new windows in double-block cavity wall

I'm planning buying new PVCu replacement windows and fitting them myself to
the existing openings.

The walls are double concrete block with a cavity. The windows are
installed within the cavity - between the two walls. I'd like have a clear
understanding of how to go about fixing the new windows in place
(materials/techniques) *before* going ahead and ordering the windows.

Does anybody know of a website explaining/advising or illustrating how to go
about this?

Thanks,
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neil wrote:
I'm planning buying new PVCu replacement windows and fitting them
myself to the existing openings.

The walls are double concrete block with a cavity. The windows are
installed within the cavity - between the two walls. I'd like have a
clear understanding of how to go about fixing the new windows in place
(materials/techniques) *before* going ahead and ordering the windows.

Does anybody know of a website explaining/advising or illustrating
how to go about this?

Thanks,
Neil

Neil,

Are you aware that if you do this works yourself you will need Building
Control approval/inspection before and after the installation so that the
necessary certification can be given to you upon payment of a nice, fat fee?

With regards to fitting these in "cavities", there are fixings for this, but
you will also need to fit 'add-ons' to the backs of the frame to give you
the depth of material to do this without 'loosing' some of the glass area in
certain conditions.

Have a look at this http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28858 for
some answers (I have not read it in its entirety)

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tanner-'op" wrote in message
Neil wrote:
I'm planning buying new PVCu replacement windows and fitting them
myself to the existing openings.

The walls are double concrete block with a cavity. The windows are
installed within the cavity - between the two walls. I'd like have a
clear understanding of how to go about fixing the new windows in place
(materials/techniques) *before* going ahead and ordering the windows.

Does anybody know of a website explaining/advising or illustrating
how to go about this?

Thanks,
Neil

Neil,

Are you aware that if you do this works yourself you will need Building
Control approval/inspection before and after the installation so that the
necessary certification can be given to you upon payment of a nice, fat
fee?

~~~shudder~~~ no I didn't know that but I suppose I should have guessed.
I'd better talk to them then.

With regards to fitting these in "cavities", there are fixings for this,
but you will also need to fit 'add-ons' to the backs of the frame to give
you the depth of material to do this without 'loosing' some of the glass
area in certain conditions.

Is there a proper name for these fixings - if I knew I could google for
them.

Have a look at this http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28858 for
some answers (I have not read it in its entirety)

Okay - thanks,

Neil