Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default web sites?

Hello,

A DIY question of a slightly different kind: I'd like to make my own
web site but I've never done one before. Can anyone point me in the
right direction? Can you recommend a decent program to use? It's only
for personal use so I don't want to buy something costing hundreds of
pounds. Also are there any web sites or newsgroups that could give me
some tutorials?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Apr, 13:37, Fred wrote:
Hello,

A DIY question of a slightly different kind: I'd like to make my own
web site but I've never done one before. Can anyone point me in the
right direction?

Try:

http://www.virtualmechanics.com/products/dwarf/

It is very basic though, but if it's just a few pages, it should be OK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 1:37*pm, Fred wrote:
Hello,

A DIY question of a slightly different kind: I'd like to make my own
web site but I've never done one before. Can anyone point me in the
right direction? Can you recommend a decent program to use? It's only
for personal use so I don't want to buy something costing hundreds of
pounds. Also are there any web sites or newsgroups that could give me
some tutorials?

Thanks.

Learn to write proper HTML and all you need is a text editor.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

A DIY question of a slightly different kind: I'd like to make my own
web site but I've never done one before. Can anyone point me in the
right direction? Can you recommend a decent program to use? It's only
for personal use so I don't want to buy something costing hundreds of
pounds. Also are there any web sites or newsgroups that could give me
some tutorials?

Depends what you want - if this is just a hobby site, somewhere to write
about your family/projects/holidays etc, just get yourself a google
pages account:

http://pages.google.com/

Or a hosted wordpress blog:

http://wordpress.com/

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

A DIY question of a slightly different kind: I'd like to make my own
web site but I've never done one before. Can anyone point me in the
right direction? Can you recommend a decent program to use? It's only
for personal use so I don't want to buy something costing hundreds of
pounds. Also are there any web sites or newsgroups that could give me
some tutorials?

I use NAMO Webeditor - version 5 is fine for simple websites although I have
upgraded to version 2006-suite now. About £70 and very good. Book good,
technical help reported not but I have never needed it. Available with
review from Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/4gybgg

Version 6 is available for next to nothing.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote in message
Hello,

A DIY question of a slightly different kind: I'd like to make my own
web site but I've never done one before. Can anyone point me in the
right direction? Can you recommend a decent program to use? It's only
for personal use so I don't want to buy something costing hundreds of
pounds. Also are there any web sites or newsgroups that could give me
some tutorials?

Thanks.

If you google for web page/HTML tutorials and learn some simple basics
You can then use this free program
http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dont use dreamweaver its much too powerful
nor frontpage which uses HTML for InternetExplorer only,

www.nvu.com

is good and free and opensource.

If you spend time learning how to use it
then whatever computer you're on,
mac pc or ubuntu
you can download NVU and get webbing..

design your website on paper with coloured pens..

i try to spend longer on the images than the text

[george]

(I use wordpad but thats cos i spent years learning HTML, dont bother)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:37 pm, Fred wrote:
Hello,

A DIY question of a slightly different kind: I'd like to make my own
web site but I've never done one before. Can anyone point me in the
right direction? Can you recommend a decent program to use? It's only
for personal use so I don't want to buy something costing hundreds of
pounds. Also are there any web sites or newsgroups that could give me
some tutorials?

Thanks.

Learn to write proper HTML and all you need is a text editor.

MBQ

Context is quite nice: It understands HTML.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 11:44*pm, "Mark" wrote:
Fred wrote in message

Hello,

A DIY question of a slightly different kind: I'd like to make my own
web site but I've never done one before. Can anyone point me in the
right direction? Can you recommend a decent program to use? It's only
for personal use so I don't want to buy something costing hundreds of
pounds. Also are there any web sites or newsgroups that could give me
some tutorials?

Thanks.

If you google for web page/HTML tutorials and learn some simple basics
You can then use this free programhttp://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

-

I prefer HTML-kit http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A DIY question of a slightly different kind: I'd like to make my own
web site but I've never done one before. Can anyone point me in the
right direction? Can you recommend a decent program to use? It's only
for personal use so I don't want to buy something costing hundreds of
pounds. Also are there any web sites or newsgroups that could give me
some tutorials?

Where are you going to host the site ? - many servers offer front-end
applications often known as CMS - content management systems - but
require the server to have a database or two available for managing
the content. Many hosts offer a variety of CMS systems free as part of
their normal hosting packages.

These let you add content without having to worry about the logistics
of knowing how the website does it all in the background.

Try looking into PHPnuke and Joomla amongst others... One little
proviso i'd add is that some may be susceptible to what is known as
SQL injection, where a site may be subverted / taken over by a
specially crafted URL sent by a hacker. If you use a CMS, consider
checking the directory structure on the web server end on a regular
basis to make sure the site isn't being used to host phishing attacks.

KIT Sites zd Electronics 1 September 22nd 07 11:20 PM
More sites and... Koirehip Home Repair 0 March 19th 07 01:59 PM
Bad Sites Gigi Home Ownership 0 August 17th 05 07:32 PM
Sites Gigi Home Ownership 0 August 10th 05 01:05 AM
Bad Sites Gigi Home Ownership 0 August 5th 05 11:39 PM