Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default F&E tank for a megaflo?

Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo. One
plumber mentioned that I would need an F&E tank for the heating particularly
as one of my options is to retain the old boiler but the other plumber said
nothing about it and it does not appear on his quote.

Does a megaflo need an F & E tank fitted for the heating in all cases or
only if an old boiler is being retained. If not where does the expansion
go?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PC Plod" wrote in message
Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo. One
plumber mentioned that I would need an F&E tank for the heating
particularly as one of my options is to retain the old boiler but the
other plumber said nothing about it and it does not appear on his quote.

Does a megaflo need an F & E tank fitted for the heating in all cases or
only if an old boiler is being retained. If not where does the expansion
go?

It's got nothing to do with the megaflo per se.
That will let you loose the Cold Water Storage tank, if you wish.

The F+E tank is to do with the boiler.

If the existing boiler has an open vented primary, it will already have a
F+E tank.
It will be a smaller tank, usually located close to the larger Cold Water
Storage tank.
If you retain the boiler, you retain the F+E tank.

If you replace the boiler with a sealed system, then the F+E tank becomes
redundant, and can be removed also.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ron Lowe" ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote
It's got nothing to do with the megaflo per se.
That will let you loose the Cold Water Storage tank, if you wish.

The F+E tank is to do with the boiler.

If the existing boiler has an open vented primary, it will already have a
F+E tank.
It will be a smaller tank, usually located close to the larger Cold Water
Storage tank.
If you retain the boiler, you retain the F+E tank.

If you replace the boiler with a sealed system, then the F+E tank becomes
redundant, and can be removed also.

--
Ron

Thanks Ron. My existing tank is a Flowmax thermal store with the header
tank built into it so when the existing tank goes so does the header tank.

Are all boilers capable of being part of a sealed system? My existing
boiler is a Potterton flamingo which is 18 years old. By being part of a
sealed system does than mean the CH pipes and radiators are under pressure
because the expansion has no where to go?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:32:42 +0100 someone who may be "PC Plod"
wrote this:-

Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo.

Why do you want one?

If it is for mains pressure hot water then a thermal store/heat bank
is generally a better bet.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo.

Why do you want one?

If it is for mains pressure hot water then a thermal store/heat bank
is generally a better bet.

More ******** from Dynamo Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:45:29 +0100 someone who may be The Natural
Philosopher wrote this:-

If it is for mains pressure hot water then a thermal store/heat bank
is generally a better bet.

More ******** from Dynamo Dave.

Readers will note that you have not addressed the subject, but have
instead made a personal attack. They may draw their own conclusions
from that.

Do keep it up.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo.

Why do you want one?

If it is for mains pressure hot water then a thermal store/heat bank
is generally a better bet.

It's scaled up, others in our road have had leaks from the seams so it is
time for a change. A direct replacement for my flomax makes a megaflo seem
like a bargain.

Anyway back to my question anyone. Also is it a bad idea to seal an 18 year
old boiler that was once part of an open vented system. Looking at the
boiler manual it would appear that it can be part of a fully pumped sealed
system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:23:44 +0100 someone who may be "PC Plod"
wrote this:-

It's scaled up,

Hard water area presumably. An "unvented" cylinder will also scale
up. With a heat bank the only thing to scale up is the heat
exchanger, which can be cleaned or replaced while leaving the
majority of the system in place.

others in our road have had leaks from the seams

That is not a function of any particular general design of heat
exchanger. All designs can leak at the seams.

so it is time for a change.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PC Plod" wrote in message

[...]

No, not all boilers can be used in a pressurised system.
I don't know about yours.

Your description of a pressurised system is pretty much correct.
The primary loop is filled with mains-pressure cold untill it reaches around
1 - 1.5bar.
When it heats up, the thermal expansion will raise this to a couple of bar.

There will be an expansion vessel on the circuit somewhere, either in the
boiler or mounted externally ( sometimes both ). Otherwise, the water
which has a very low compressibility would raise in pressure so much that it
would crack open the relief valve, and you'd loose the loop pressure, and
the boiler would then shut down for lack of pressure.

If your existing setup has a F+E tank, then the plumber needs to consider
this issue.
Assuming the boiler cannot be used in a sealed system, then some F+E will
need to be provided.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo.

Why do you want one?

If it is for mains pressure hot water then a thermal store/heat bank
is generally a better bet.

It's scaled up, others in our road have had leaks from the seams so it is
time for a change. A direct replacement for my flomax makes a megaflo seem
like a bargain.

Anyway back to my question anyone. Also is it a bad idea to seal an 18 year
old boiler that was once part of an open vented system. Looking at the
boiler manual it would appear that it can be part of a fully pumped sealed
system.

Not at all. Did this - or plumber did - to a neighbours setup when
installing a megaflo.

Works very well.

However I would recommend a water softener on DHW circuits to keep scale
down: obviously the primary will be fernoxed.

Shame to bugger a £600 plus tank in a few years due to scaling..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PC Plod" wrote in message
Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo. One
plumber mentioned that I would need an F&E tank for the heating
particularly as one of my options is to retain the old boiler but the
other plumber said nothing about it and it does not appear on his quote.

Does a megaflo need an F & E tank fitted for the heating in all cases or
only if an old boiler is being retained. If not where does the expansion
go?

Don't buy a megaflow they can do this:
http://www.waterheaterblast.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo.

Why do you want one?

If it is for mains pressure hot water then a thermal store/heat bank
is generally a better bet.

Yep. or a high flow combi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo.

Why do you want one?

If it is for mains pressure hot water then a thermal store/heat bank
is generally a better bet.

It's scaled up, others in our road have had leaks from the seams so it is
time for a change. A direct replacement for my flomax makes a megaflo
seem like a bargain.

Look around. The Flowmaxes did not have enough inhibitor them or have it
re-introduced every 4 years.

Anyway back to my question anyone. Also is it a bad idea to seal an 18
year old boiler that was once part of an open vented system. Looking at
the boiler manual it would appear that it can be part of a fully pumped
sealed system.

If it can, it can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:32:42 +0100, PC Plod wrote:

Had a couple of plumbers around to give me a quote for a megaflo. One
plumber mentioned that I would need an F&E tank for the heating
particularly as one of my options is to retain the old boiler but the
other plumber said nothing about it and it does not appear on his quote.

Does a megaflo need an F & E tank fitted for the heating in all cases or
only if an old boiler is being retained. If not where does the
expansion go?

The scenario which could cause the guy to say this is if the existing
arrangements use a Harcopak "Just add water" (sic).
In which case the existing CH circuit has a small F*E tank built into the
top of the Harcopak unit, so will need to be added if the harcopak is
being traded for a Megaflo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:35:17 +0100, PC Plod wrote:

[...]

No, see FAQ.

My existing
boiler is a Potterton flamingo which is 18 years old.

That boioler is certainly unsuitable for a sealed CH system.

By being part of
a sealed system does than mean the CH pipes and radiators are under
pressure because the expansion has no where to go?

See FAQ.

Draining a Megaflo Hot Water Cylinder GB UK diy 8 September 28th 17 10:25 PM
Megaflo heating system problem [email protected] UK diy 4 June 23rd 07 02:32 PM
megaflo pressure budvar UK diy 1 September 12th 06 08:20 AM
Megaflo, Heatbank or Thermal Store xenelk UK diy 1 September 2nd 04 11:03 AM
Megaflo CL170 usage news-text.dial.pipex.com UK diy 2 December 22nd 03 09:18 PM