Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drinking hot water from a Combi (revisited)

I remember reading this fairly recently (although Google Groups suggest it
was posted in 2002)!

Concensus seemed to be that it should be O.K. as the water came more or
less straight from the mains.

[Water from header tanks is not so good - as I realised after extracting
the decaying remains of a mouse from the shower pump. Yech! ]

I went to look back, but couldn't find a recent post.

I was reminded of this when recharging the combi protector - the little
unit that treats the water before it goes to the combi to stop it furring
up from hard water.

I assume that adding a treatment to hot water might make it less
attractive to drink; it is some kind of ion exchange I think. I also
assume that combis in hard water areas have to have some kind of water
pre-treatment.

It is called a 'Combimate'.

So no, I wont be making tea from the combi.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

I assume that adding a treatment to hot water might make it less
attractive to drink; it is some kind of ion exchange I think. I also
assume that combis in hard water areas have to have some kind of water
pre-treatment.

It is called a 'Combimate'.

A combimate is a phosphate dosing unit. It does not soften the water but
simply adds a trace amount of a food grade phosphate to the water to
stop the scale precipitating out of the water when it is heated (it will
still come out on cooling and evaporation)

So no, I wont be making tea from the combi.

Won't do you any harm. When I plumbed mine I allowed two routes to the
kitchen cold tap (controlled by service valves) to allow the combimate
to be included or excluded from the feed. I was interested to see if it
would also reduce kettle scale etc. (the answer seems to be "no"). There
is no detectable difference it taste etc between the two.

See the combimate FAQ:

http://www.cistermiser.co.uk/faq/combi_faq.shtm

--
Cheers,