Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leveling a shed site

I want to put a 12x12ft shed on a paved area at the end of my garden.
The shed installers tell me they need a level area on which to do
this, preferably with no more than a 1cm variation over the site.

I've put a couple of pix of the situation at

http://www.dthorpe.net/viewing/

How would I approach this? I am assuming I'd need to level up as I
can't envisage taking up all the flagstones!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

lemmy used his keyboard to write :
I want to put a 12x12ft shed on a paved area at the end of my garden.
The shed installers tell me they need a level area on which to do
this, preferably with no more than a 1cm variation over the site.

I've put a couple of pix of the situation at

http://www.dthorpe.net/viewing/

How would I approach this? I am assuming I'd need to level up as I
can't envisage taking up all the flagstones!

How would you approach what?

The setting up of levels? - Length of clear pipe, fill it with water
and as water finds its own level both ends of the water will be
perfectly level if you make it into a U shape. Just measure down from
the water's level at each end, but keeping one end always at the same
reference point. Use several 2x2's tapped in to the ground so that you
have multiple reference level points to work from.

If I were putting the shed up myself, I would simply arrange piles of
bricks perfectly level - so that they matched the timbers in the floor
but if you are getting them to build it for you it is not so easy to
know where to place them. Could you perhaps heck out where the timbers
are located before they turn up and set them out appropriately?

What ever, the hut floor needs to have some air space under it to
permit it to remain dry and prevent rot. The bricks need to be well
tamped down into undisturbed ground, but you can still expect them to
sink a little way in time. Make the piles no more than about 2 feet
apart. Perhaps you could set the piles up on the slabs?

The other way would be to lay some level concrete, but then arrange the
bricks on top of the concrete to provide the air space. Don't set the
timber straight down onto the concrete without the air space, it will
encourage rot.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 06:37:04 -0700 (PDT), lemmy wrote:

How would I approach this? I am assuming I'd need to level up as I
can't envisage taking up all the flagstones!

Looks flat enough to me, is the paved area big enough? Just relay the
buckled pair.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 06:37:04 -0700 (PDT), lemmy wrote:

How would I approach this? I am assuming I'd need to level up as I
can't envisage taking up all the flagstones!

Looks flat enough to me, is the paved area big enough? Just relay the
buckled pair.

TEST
(posts not appearing in this group)

Leveling up plaster F UK diy 3 August 3rd 07 12:45 PM
see the most hot new site of 2007see the most hot new site of 2007 mote UK diy 1 March 21st 07 02:40 PM
leveling floor david Home Repair 4 June 20th 05 01:33 PM
Toilet leveling jch Home Repair 4 July 17th 04 02:58 PM