Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling holes in uPVC windows

Is there any practical reason why I shouldn't drill small holes in the
inside of 15-year-old uPVC window frames, to attach fittings for light
curtain rails using self-tapping screws?
The warranty on the windows has expired.
It's a bay window, so expanding poles won't fit.
While not quite old enough to fit nets by choice, I'm a screw sort of
person rather than a glue sort of person.

I apologise for apparently repeating an old topic, but previous
questioners specifically wanted to avoid drilling holes whereas I
would prefer to.

I also apologise for mentioning uPVC windows and net curtains. The
nets (or violes) will be discrete & non-flowery, allowing me to
indulge my new hobby of waving at double-decker buses while stark
naked. And I apologise for that mental image.

Thanks for any help,
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al, Cambridge, UK wrote:
Is there any practical reason why I shouldn't drill small holes in the
inside of 15-year-old uPVC window frames, to attach fittings for light
curtain rails using self-tapping screws?
The warranty on the windows has expired.
It's a bay window, so expanding poles won't fit.
While not quite old enough to fit nets by choice, I'm a screw sort of
person rather than a glue sort of person.

I prefer glue in this situation myself TBH - self-tapping screws *will*
work OK, but I always avoid drilling fitting holes into uPVC window
frames because really, once they're drilled, that's it - you can't
really fill them and start again as you can with timber, if there's ever
a problem, as in the screws pulling out and stripping the hole. They
don't take much load either, given the thickness of the extruded frame
which is where your likely to be drilling.

I use those plastic self-adhesive cuphooks for this job, with an
variable-length-rod type curtain rail; however I scrape off the adhesive
pads as they are crap for this task, and use evostik impact adhesive
instead.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Al, Cambridge, UK wrote:
Is there any practical reason why I shouldn't drill small holes in the
inside of 15-year-old uPVC window frames, to attach fittings for light
curtain rails using self-tapping screws?
The warranty on the windows has expired.
It's a bay window, so expanding poles won't fit.
While not quite old enough to fit nets by choice, I'm a screw sort of
person rather than a glue sort of person.

I apologise for apparently repeating an old topic, but previous
questioners specifically wanted to avoid drilling holes whereas I
would prefer to.

I also apologise for mentioning uPVC windows and net curtains. The
nets (or violes) will be discrete & non-flowery, allowing me to
indulge my new hobby of waving at double-decker buses while stark
naked. And I apologise for that mental image.

Have done just that - the tiny white plastic bits I used have two screw
holes - just drilled a very small diameter hole and tighten the screws
into them. No problem. Lasted years without any issue.

Previous attempts using sticky pads doomed to failure despite thorough
cleaning. Tubes of glue always seem to have the possibility of trailing
wet glue strands or squidging out in unwanted places.

Be careful - waving at the bus while stark naked AND screwing your
window is seriously to be avoided. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Be careful - waving at the bus while stark naked AND screwing your
window is seriously to be avoided. :-)

Yes, it could be curtains ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
Chris J Dixon typed:
Rod wrote:

Be careful - waving at the bus while stark naked AND screwing
your window is seriously to be avoided. :-)

Yes, it could be curtains ;-)

Even more dangerous if it's someone elses window!

Drilling Peg holes dnoyeB Woodworking 9 February 9th 06 09:32 PM
Drilling 21/32" holes in blown-out 5/8-11 holes Tom Gardner Metalworking 10 November 29th 04 08:37 AM
drilling 1" (or so) holes knob Metalworking 27 August 10th 04 03:01 AM
Drilling holes in HHS Tom Thorsen Woodturning 7 October 31st 03 09:20 PM
Drilling holes John Edgar UK diy 5 September 8th 03 04:47 PM