Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing a Euro Lock

Thinking about replacing our normal euro lock (in uPVC French doors) with a
snapsafe version. Looking on the web it seems you only have to remove the
one screw which holds the lock in place. However, when the locksmith who
fitted the existing locks (after being burgled), he removed all the flat
brass bars which are on the side of the doors!

Has anyone recently removed a "euro lock"? Is it just a case of removing
screw, aligning the release tab with your key and then pulling the lock out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it just a case of removing screw, aligning the release tab with your key and then pulling the lock out?

Yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 7 Apr, 14:46, "diy-newby" wrote:
Thinking about replacing our normal euro lock (in uPVC French doors) with a
snapsafe version. Looking on the web it seems you only have to remove the
one screw which holds the lock in place. However, when the locksmith who
fitted the existing locks (after being burgled), he removed all the flat
brass bars which are on the side of the doors!

Has anyone recently removed a "euro lock"? Is it just a case of removing
screw, aligning the release tab with your key and then pulling the lock out?

Hi i recently fitted 5 doors worth of these as part of a conservatory
project - just as you describe - no great shakes takes couple of
minutes - unless your locksmith did something odd?

Was he maybe checking the burglars didn't knackr the shoot bolts, cams
etc? As i recall you can adjust the "throw" of the shoot bolts by
removing cover bars and adjusting the alignment of toothed bars found
underneath; also you can grease parts of the mechansim here too...

Or maybe he was a "rogue trader" type who charged by the hour?! :)

Take the old one out and measure it lengthways from "front" to the tab
and then from tab to the "back" then refit it.
Find & order your replacements to suit - there are quite a few
variations to suit various door thicknesses and specs - you need the
same length cylinder with the same tab position for it to work
properly in your door:-

here's a few for eg:-

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hard...rs/d170/sd3082

hope it helps
Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
On 7 Apr, 14:46, "diy-newby" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, probably getting a couple from Screwfix, as they have the snapsafe
variants. Just need to try and get two with the same keys!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-07 14:46:21 +0100, "diy-newby" said:

Thinking about replacing our normal euro lock (in uPVC French doors) with a
snapsafe version. Looking on the web it seems you only have to remove the
one screw which holds the lock in place. However, when the locksmith who
fitted the existing locks (after being burgled), he removed all the flat
brass bars which are on the side of the doors!

Has anyone recently removed a "euro lock"? Is it just a case of removing
screw, aligning the release tab with your key and then pulling the lock out?

Yes.

WHen you replace it, you will need to get one with the same dimensions
each side of the cam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"diy-newby" wrote in message ...

"jim" wrote in message
On 7 Apr, 14:46, "diy-newby" wrote:
[...]

I'd try a local locksmith or security centre myself. We have a good one
locally and apart from excellent advice they are usually cheaper the even
Screwfix.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"diy-newby" wrote in message ...
Thinking about replacing our normal euro lock (in uPVC French doors) with

snapsafe version. Looking on the web it seems you only have to remove the
one screw which holds the lock in place. However, when the locksmith who
fitted the existing locks (after being burgled), he removed all the flat
brass bars which are on the side of the doors!

Has anyone recently removed a "euro lock"? Is it just a case of removing
screw, aligning the release tab with your key and then pulling the lock

out?

On my house it was simply a case of removing a single screw.
OTOH, occasionally the hole into which the cylinder has to slide is a tight
fit and not quite straight, so perhaps that might be a reason for taking off
the bars sometimes, so that the lock can be guided into place.

If you're looking for a supplier that stocks a wide range of sizes, how
about
http://www.ciaalarms.co.uk/acatalog/...er_Double.html
I reckon having the external cylinder exactly flush with the handle's
backplate rather than sticking out a bit might discourage a burglar from
even trying to snap the lock, so having a wide range of sizes to choose from
is a good thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

diy-newby wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

On 7 Apr, 14:46, "diy-newby" wrote:

[...]

Go to a proper locksmith - they will be able to make up anthing you want
and help you with the correct sizing

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Onlooker" wrote in message
"diy-newby" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks to all who replied. The master door is simply a case of removing the
single screw, aligning the cam with the key then removing. The slave door
also has the locks/latch bars down the edge so these need removing first.
Removed the master door and it's 80mm (40/40 split). Cheapest I can find
are around £32 each for the Squire snapsafe ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:32:03 +0100, "diy-newby" wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. The master door is simply a case of removing the
single screw, aligning the cam with the key then removing. The slave door
also has the locks/latch bars down the edge so these need removing first.
Removed the master door and it's 80mm (40/40 split). Cheapest I can find
are around £32 each for the Squire snapsafe ones.

If you search for snap safe ( two words ) on Ebay they do Squires for £24-50
though there is an "Make Offer" option too. They claim to do all sizes.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:32:03 +0100, "diy-newby" wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. The master door is simply a case of removing
the
single screw, aligning the cam with the key then removing. The slave door
also has the locks/latch bars down the edge so these need removing first.
Removed the master door and it's 80mm (40/40 split). Cheapest I can find
are around £32 each for the Squire snapsafe ones.

If you search for snap safe ( two words ) on Ebay they do Squires for
£24-50
though there is an "Make Offer" option too. They claim to do all sizes.

Andy

Cheers for the tip, I had already seen that one. I emailed him last night
asking if he had two which had the same keys and he didn't. Looks like I
may struggle to get two locks that use the same key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

diy-newby wrote:

Cheers for the tip, I had already seen that one. I emailed him last night
asking if he had two which had the same keys and he didn't. Looks like I
may struggle to get two locks that use the same key.

Rather than mucking about trying to get a deal off Ebay you need to go
a proper locksmith who can make up the cylinders to use the same key -
the magic words are 'keyed alike' or 'keyed to pass.'

The CIA Alarms link given by another poster would work for you -
they're
selling the Garrison cylinders I have at home. I quite like the
Garrison and
Mul-T-Lock type because the keys have no sharp edges, and they're an
unusual blank with reasonable control over the cutting of spares.

The Chubb M3 cylinder is possibly a more secure design, but in
practical
terms it doesn't make much odds - a thief isn't going to be trying to
pick
your locks.

Chubb cylinders explained at http://www.safelocks.co.uk/acatalog/...cylinders.html

I bought my Garrisons from Tower Security in London
(www.towersecurity.co.uk)

Note that if you have other locks that use a different type of
cylinder (oval,
or rim/Yale), you can get these made to the same key as well

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
diy-newby wrote:

[...]

I have tried several local to me locksmiths. These are not retail premises
and only do supply and fit. Given he was going to charge £40 to fit the
lock I said no thanks. I have been looking at CIA Alarms and other net
companies. One of the guys I spoke to told me to stay clear of the Squire
Snapsafe cylinders as these are not that great, the Mul-T-Lock is the better
option in his opinion..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 9 Apr,
"diy-newby" wrote:

One of the guys I spoke to told me to stay clear of the Squire
Snapsafe cylinders as these are not that great, the Mul-T-Lock is the
better option in his opinion..

So which ines are the most proof against 'bumping'.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Have been told again since posting that the Mul-T-lock (Break Secure) are
the better choice.