Posted to uk.d-i-y
ja ja is offline

Default Building over a private sewer

We're considering building an extension at the rear of the house but
there is a private sewer serving more than one property (including ours)
that runs along the whole width of the back garden, and about two metres
out from the back wall of the house. Therefore, we would need to build
over the private sewer (but fortunately not over the inspection chamber
which is in the adjacent driveway). Is this something commonly done for
situations like this? From what I understand any footings would need to
be dug lower than the depth of the sewer but is there also a minimum
horizontal distance that needs to be kept between sewer and the
footings? Anything else I should be taking into consideration?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ja" wrote in message
We're considering building an extension at the rear of the house but there
is a private sewer serving more than one property (including ours) that
runs along the whole width of the back garden, and about two metres out
from the back wall of the house. Therefore, we would need to build over
the private sewer (but fortunately not over the inspection chamber which
is in the adjacent driveway). Is this something commonly done for
situations like this? From what I understand any footings would need to be
dug lower than the depth of the sewer but is there also a minimum
horizontal distance that needs to be kept between sewer and the footings?
Anything else I should be taking into consideration?

Try the Hepworth site for info, contact them, they will give you
professional advice.

I have no connection with Hepworth, we merely used their products approx
16yrs ago for drainage in and around a new laboratory building.
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Apr, 11:53, ja wrote:
We're considering building an extension at the rear of the house but
there is a private sewer serving more than one property (including ours)
that runs along the whole width of the back garden, and about two metres
out from the back wall of the house. Therefore, we would need to build
over the private sewer (but fortunately not over the inspection chamber
which is in the adjacent driveway). Is this something commonly done for
situations like this? From what I understand any footings would need to
be dug lower than the depth of the sewer but is there also a minimum
horizontal distance that needs to be kept between sewer and the
footings? Anything else I should be taking into consideration?

building regs part H (section H4 - building over sewers !)

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADH_2002.pdf

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 11:53:24 +0100, ja wrote:

We're considering building an extension at the rear of the house but
there is a private sewer serving more than one property (including ours)
that runs along the whole width of the back garden, and about two metres
out from the back wall of the house. Therefore, we would need to build
over the private sewer (but fortunately not over the inspection chamber
which is in the adjacent driveway). Is this something commonly done for
situations like this? From what I understand any footings would need to
be dug lower than the depth of the sewer but is there also a minimum
horizontal distance that needs to be kept between sewer and the
footings? Anything else I should be taking into consideration?

Talk to your local planning/building control people. They are the ones you
will need to satisfy, not the posters here, no matter how knowledgeable
they may be.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
[...]

Ja, You will undoubtably have to satisfy planning and building control when
you apply for PP, in the meantime I suggest you collect information so you
are well informed on the subject.
Good Luck
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ja, in article 2PydnZ80hYg0NmXanZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@metronet,
says...
We're considering building an extension at the rear of the house but
there is a private sewer serving more than one property (including ours)
that runs along the whole width of the back garden, and about two metres
out from the back wall of the house. Therefore, we would need to build
over the private sewer (but fortunately not over the inspection chamber
which is in the adjacent driveway). Is this something commonly done for
situations like this? From what I understand any footings would need to
be dug lower than the depth of the sewer but is there also a minimum
horizontal distance that needs to be kept between sewer and the
footings? Anything else I should be taking into consideration?

I did something similar to this some years ago. The building
inspector at that time required brick piers either side of the
sewer pipe, to well below the level of the pipe, to support
the footings. The intent was that there would be no load from
the building, down through the footings, into the soil and
directly compressing the pipe. The load above the pipe was
being carried by the piers to the ground below the pipe level.

Best suggestion is to check with your local BCO.
--
JohnW.
Replace the obvious with co.uk in 2 places to mail me.

PRIVATE PLACES Hint Home Repair 1 December 9th 07 02:52 PM
ripoff - building "over" public sewer [email protected] UK diy 9 September 28th 05 05:02 PM
Sewer Vent - Building Regs Requirement Peter Hemmings UK diy 5 July 17th 04 12:00 AM
Shared private sewer question pse UK diy 6 July 6th 04 05:38 PM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM