Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12v - 14:4v

Building a deck today with my mate John, who is a hard working intelligent
chap - with no knowledge of power tools at all.

Using a 12v Makita impact driver & a 14:4v Makita drill driver - which share
the same charger.

Spotted that John had inserted a 12v battery into the 14:4v driver - only
used for a short while apparently. I was surprised it fitted, but it did.

Question. Would this have damaged the 12v battery or the 14:4v driver at
all?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Building a deck today with my mate John, who is a hard working intelligent
chap - with no knowledge of power tools at all.

Using a 12v Makita impact driver & a 14:4v Makita drill driver - which
share the same charger.

Spotted that John had inserted a 12v battery into the 14:4v driver - only
used for a short while apparently. I was surprised it fitted, but it did.

Question. Would this have damaged the 12v battery or the 14:4v driver at
all?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Oh use a bit of common sense. Do the items still work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob" wrote in message

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Building a deck today with my mate John, who is a hard working

intelligent
chap - with no knowledge of power tools at all.

Using a 12v Makita impact driver & a 14:4v Makita drill driver - which
share the same charger.

Spotted that John had inserted a 12v battery into the 14:4v driver -

only
used for a short while apparently. I was surprised it fitted, but it

did.

Question. Would this have damaged the 12v battery or the 14:4v driver

at
all?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Oh use a bit of common sense. Do the items still work?

I see you knocked his URL out. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..
Building a deck today with my mate John, who is a hard working
intelligent chap - with no knowledge of power tools at all.

Using a 12v Makita impact driver & a 14:4v Makita drill driver -
which share the same charger.

Spotted that John had inserted a 12v battery into the 14:4v driver -
only used for a short while apparently. I was surprised it fitted,
but it did. Question. Would this have damaged the 12v battery or the
14:4v
driver at all?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Oh use a bit of common sense. Do the items still work?

I'm talking long term, not short term.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Building a deck today with my mate John, who is a hard working intelligent
chap - with no knowledge of power tools at all.

Using a 12v Makita impact driver & a 14:4v Makita drill driver - which

share
the same charger.

Spotted that John had inserted a 12v battery into the 14:4v driver - only
used for a short while apparently. I was surprised it fitted, but it did.

Question. Would this have damaged the 12v battery or the 14:4v driver at
all?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Erm! No

I would expect the charging circuit to limit charge current to a
sensible figure.
If left charging the "end of charge" circuitry might have a bit of
problem determining an end point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Run both units flat and then re-charge.
If they charge up and work then assume both OK

To be honest if I had posted this question my mate would have told me
to put both units back in their boxes and return them to the shop.
Since he would assume I'm to stupid to own power tools :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..
Building a deck today with my mate John, who is a hard working
intelligent chap - with no knowledge of power tools at all.

Using a 12v Makita impact driver & a 14:4v Makita drill driver -
which share the same charger.

Spotted that John had inserted a 12v battery into the 14:4v driver -
only used for a short while apparently. I was surprised it fitted,
but it did. Question. Would this have damaged the 12v battery or the
14:4v
driver at all?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Oh use a bit of common sense. Do the items still work?

I'm talking long term, not short term.

The 12v pack looks like a flat 14.4v pack so the driver won't care.

The battery probably had to supply less current so it wont care either.

I expect the driver and battery to be keyed to prevent putting a 14.4V pack
in a 12V driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robert wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

Hi Robert

The charger will accept either 12 or 14:4v batteries & charge them
accordingly. Its the fact that the 12v battery was used in the 14:4v driver
that oncerns me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ac1951 wrote:
Run both units flat and then re-charge.
If they charge up and work then assume both OK

What do you mean 'both units'? How would I run a 14:4v driver without a
battery 'flat'? How would I charge up a bare 14:4v unit oh wise one?

To be honest if I had posted this question my mate would have told me
to put both units back in their boxes and return them to the shop.
Since he would assume I'm to stupid to own power tools :-)

12v BATTERY inserted in a 14:4v DRIVER.

I suggest you learn to read posts properly before you respond with sarcastic
replies ****wit.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dennis. Thats what I wanted to know. Makes sense.

I expect the driver and battery to be keyed to prevent putting a
14.4V pack in a 12V driver.

Indeed they are, the 14:4v is too big to go into the 12v, but not t'other
way around.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As another poster pointed out, but perhaps it needs more emphasis, the
damaging/dangerous thing to do is put a higher voltage battery in a
lower voltage tool - and that Makita are probably keyed to prevent
that. They didn't key it the other way (low voltage battery in high
voltage tool) because it's harmless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robert wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

If it fitted one way round It would be reasonable to assume the manufacture
realised that some prat at some time would try it! and really it's not some
chinese crap.... The fact they both use the same charger means the
connections are basically the same and the intelligent charger will sense
which battery and charge accordingly.
The 12V battery would work but not deliver the full capability of the tool.
and also as the 14.4V battery loses its charge it will be running at 12v and
lower.
So don't worry and if in a couple of years time when the screwdriver expires
you can always blame it on the day the wrong battery was fitted!
Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:03:03 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Building a deck today with my mate John, who is a hard working intelligent
chap - with no knowledge of power tools at all.

Using a 12v Makita impact driver & a 14:4v Makita drill driver - which share
the same charger.

Spotted that John had inserted a 12v battery into the 14:4v driver - only
used for a short while apparently. I was surprised it fitted, but it did.

I hope he did a risk assessment...

Question. Would this have damaged the 12v battery or the 14:4v driver at
all?

There's probably no difference at all between the motors in the 12v
and 14·4v machines, so no, I shouldn't imagine any damage at all. It's
really all marketing hype, innit.

If you're talking about, say, a 14·4v battery driving a, say, 7·2v
drill there may have been an emission of the magic smoke within a few
moments, otherwise no long-term harm.

Undervoltage, such as you imply, is just the same as a flat(tish)
battery.

Realistically, if Makita is a responsible manufacturer, any harmful
combination of battery/drill should be physically impossible (or
difficult).

You're not thinking of sueing John, are you? :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

There's probably no difference at all between the motors in the 12v
and 14·4v machines, so no, I shouldn't imagine any damage at all. It's
really all marketing hype, innit.

If you're talking about, say, a 14·4v battery driving a, say, 7·2v
drill there may have been an emission of the magic smoke within a few
moments, otherwise no long-term harm.

Undervoltage, such as you imply, is just the same as a flat(tish)
battery.

Realistically, if Makita is a responsible manufacturer, any harmful
combination of battery/drill should be physically impossible (or
difficult).

You're not thinking of sueing John, are you? :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Don't be silly....Daves middle name is John. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Building a deck today with my mate John, who is a hard working intelligent
chap - with no knowledge of power tools at all.

Using a 12v Makita impact driver & a 14:4v Makita drill driver - which
share
the same charger.

Spotted that John had inserted a 12v battery into the 14:4v driver - only
used for a short while apparently. I was surprised it fitted, but it did.

I hope he did a risk assessment...

Of course, in triplicate....

Question. Would this have damaged the 12v battery or the 14:4v driver at
all?

There's probably no difference at all between the motors in the 12v
and 14·4v machines, so no, I shouldn't imagine any damage at all. It's
really all marketing hype, innit.

If you're talking about, say, a 14·4v battery driving a, say, 7·2v
drill there may have been an emission of the magic smoke within a few
moments, otherwise no long-term harm.

Undervoltage, such as you imply, is just the same as a flat(tish)
battery.

Realistically, if Makita is a responsible manufacturer, any harmful
combination of battery/drill should be physically impossible (or
difficult).

You're not thinking of sueing John, are you? :-)

I may dock his biscuit ration....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

There's probably no difference at all between the motors in the 12v
and 14·4v machines, so no, I shouldn't imagine any damage at all. It's
really all marketing hype, innit.

If you're talking about, say, a 14·4v battery driving a, say, 7·2v
drill there may have been an emission of the magic smoke within a few
moments, otherwise no long-term harm.

Undervoltage, such as you imply, is just the same as a flat(tish)
battery.

Realistically, if Makita is a responsible manufacturer, any harmful
combination of battery/drill should be physically impossible (or
difficult).

You're not thinking of sueing John, are you? :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Don't be silly....Daves middle name is John. ;-)

Peter actually. Dearly loved rock - that's me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robert wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

No, in fact, it wouldn't.

Fast nickel chargers do not sense *absolute* voltage at all. They charge
at constant current (more or less) and detect a voltage DROP to
terminate the fast charge regime.

The only problem I can see is that a 12v charger might not have enough
voltage to charge a 14.4v pack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
robert wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

Just will run it a bit slower, that's all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-04 10:44:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

robert wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

With Makita it depends on the charger. I have about 5 different ones
that came with different tools at different times. The chargers that
come with the higher range tools tend to be able to charge older
battery types and that includes lower voltages where needed - so one of
the 14.4 chargers I have will do 9.6, 12 and 14.4v

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:
[...]

Unless you worked the driver really hard, the other way round would
probably not have done much harm either, although the potential (ahem...)
was there.