Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Meter noises

My gas meter - Schlumberger R5 - makes squeaking/creaking noises with
gas flow, not loud but annoying as its in the sitting room !

Is this normal ? A common feature of gas meters ? Worth the hassle of
asking for a replacement ?

Are gas meters all as large as this model ?

Thanks

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robert" wrote in message
My gas meter - Schlumberger R5 - makes squeaking/creaking noises with gas
flow, not loud but annoying as its in the sitting room !

Is this normal ? A common feature of gas meters ? Worth the hassle of
asking for a replacement ?

Are gas meters all as large as this model ?

Get the gas board in

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Apr, 21:16, robert wrote:
My gas meter - Schlumberger R5 - makes squeaking/creaking noises with
gas flow, not loud but annoying as its in the sitting room !

Is this normal ? A common feature of gas meters ? Worth the hassle of
asking for a replacement ?

Are gas meters all as large as this model ?

Thanks

Robert

Mine is a Parkinson Cowan and it makes similar sorts of noises, plus a
sort of ticking sound when there's gas going through it (it's in the
cellar, so not a problem in this case).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robert" wrote in message
My gas meter - Schlumberger R5 - makes squeaking/creaking noises with
gas flow, not loud but annoying as its in the sitting room !

Is this normal ? A common feature of gas meters ? Worth the hassle of
asking for a replacement ?

Are gas meters all as large as this model ?

Thanks

Robert

It's not uncommon for meters to creak and moan whilst going about their
business. It is quite normal.

It is worth asking for a replacement. A no is not going to hurt as much as a
smack in the teeth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:16:35 +0100, robert wrote:

My gas meter - Schlumberger R5 - makes squeaking/creaking noises with
gas flow, not loud but annoying as its in the sitting room !

Is this normal ? A common feature of gas meters ? Worth the hassle of
asking for a replacement ?

Are gas meters all as large as this model ?

Thanks

Robert

Excessive noise could indicate the meter is not doing too well.
Is the R5 meter a commercial sized unit?
Ask them to come and check it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is the R5 meter a commercial sized unit?
Ask them to come and check it.

Thanks Ed
What is a commercial size ?
Are there significantly smaller meters available ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:57:45 +0100, robert wrote:

Is the R5 meter a commercial sized unit? Ask them to come and check it.

Thanks Ed
What is a commercial size ?
Are there significantly smaller meters available ?

I can't remember if an R5 is simply a Schlumberger version of a normal
domestic gas meter or something bigger. Post a link to a picture and I'll
tell you straight away. Or measure it and I'll tell you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:57:45 +0100, robert wrote:

Is the R5 meter a commercial sized unit?
Ask them to come and check it.

Thanks Ed
What is a commercial size ?
Are there significantly smaller meters available ?

Off the top of my head anything up to 6 cubic metres per hour (should say
on it) is domestic.

--
John Stumbles

Blamestorming
Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed
or a project failed, and who was responsible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:57:45 +0100, robert wrote:

Is the R5 meter a commercial sized unit? Ask them to come and check it.

Thanks Ed
What is a commercial size ?
Are there significantly smaller meters available ?

I can't remember if an R5 is simply a Schlumberger version of a normal
domestic gas meter or something bigger. Post a link to a picture and I'll
tell you straight away. Or measure it and I'll tell you.

The meter (without the regulator?? on top ) is 25hx20dx20w cms.
Marked in tiny letters "212ft^3/hr " which I make 6m^3/hr.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robert wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:57:45 +0100, robert wrote:

Is the R5 meter a commercial sized unit? Ask them to come and check it.

Thanks Ed
What is a commercial size ?
Are there significantly smaller meters available ?

I can't remember if an R5 is simply a Schlumberger version of a normal
domestic gas meter or something bigger. Post a link to a picture and
I'll tell you straight away. Or measure it and I'll tell you.

The meter (without the regulator?? on top ) is 25hx20dx20w cms.
Marked in tiny letters "212ft^3/hr " which I make 6m^3/hr.
Thanks

Think yourself lucky. My old one, which might be one of those from the
description, whistled under load.

Andy

Electricty to flat: Powercard meter, coin meter, or what? Frank UK diy 21 April 20th 07 08:42 PM
UPDATE: 11 Meter to 10 Meter Yagi Antenna Conversion Brad Electronics Repair 0 June 19th 06 06:37 PM
UPDATE: 11 Meter to 10 Meter Yagi Antenna Conversion Brad Electronics Repair 1 June 18th 06 08:49 PM
Boiler noises Bart C UK diy 1 December 23rd 05 03:51 PM
cistern noises Mart.C. UK diy 5 September 2nd 03 12:10 AM