Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling onto 18mm plywood

Hiall.
Should I treat this wood before aplying tiles to it?
And..vot vid?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hiall.
Should I treat this wood before aplying tiles to it?
And..vot vid?

I never bothered.

Just use a thick (6mm) stiff bed of quality FLEXIBLE adhesive.

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Natural Philosopher"wrote

Should I treat this wood before aplying tiles to it?
And..vot vid?

I never bothered.

Just use a thick (6mm) stiff bed of quality FLEXIBLE adhesive.

I'd be inclined to give it a weak PVA coat, to stop the moisture being drawn
out of the adhesive before it sets.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"The Natural Philosopher"wrote

Should I treat this wood before aplying tiles to it?
And..vot vid?

I'd be inclined to give it a weak PVA coat, to stop the moisture being
drawn out of the adhesive before it sets.

Be very careful some tile adhesives warn you off using PVA on wood (even
plaster) as the PVA stops the adhesive soaking into the wood, thus fails to
grip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"The Natural Philosopher"wrote

Should I treat this wood before aplying tiles to it?
And..vot vid?

I'd be inclined to give it a weak PVA coat, to stop the moisture being
drawn out of the adhesive before it sets.

Be very careful some tile adhesives warn you off using PVA on wood (even
plaster) as the PVA stops the adhesive soaking into the wood, thus fails
to grip.

Ardex, a company whos products I have grown to respect, seems to imply a
sealer (P51) is in order, so I guess thats the fullk monty. I didn't
bother though, and all is fine here.

I did PVA the screed tho IIRC..

http://www.ardex.co.uk/pdfs/sat%20brochure.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-28 13:34:47 +0000, "TheScullster" said:

"The Natural Philosopher"wrote

Should I treat this wood before aplying tiles to it?
And..vot vid?

I never bothered.

Just use a thick (6mm) stiff bed of quality FLEXIBLE adhesive.

I'd be inclined to give it a weak PVA coat, to stop the moisture being drawn
out of the adhesive before it sets.

Phil

Can be a bad idea. Discuss with the adhesive manufacturer first.
Ardex and BAL both advise against it because it weakens the bond.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-28 18:04:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher said:

Ian_m wrote:

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"The Natural Philosopher"wrote

Should I treat this wood before aplying tiles to it?
And..vot vid?

I'd be inclined to give it a weak PVA coat, to stop the moisture being
drawn out of the adhesive before it sets.

Be very careful some tile adhesives warn you off using PVA on wood
(even plaster) as the PVA stops the adhesive soaking into the wood,
thus fails to grip.

Ardex, a company whos products I have grown to respect, seems to imply
a sealer (P51) is in order, so I guess thats the fullk monty. I didn't
bother though, and all is fine here.

I did PVA the screed tho IIRC..

http://www.ardex.co.uk/pdfs/sat%20brochure.pdf

I used their P82 epoxy primer on ply for my cloakroom project.
This has large format limestone tiles which are very heavy.

Tiling onto Plywood DavidM UK diy 0 February 8th 08 11:29 AM
Tiling onto Plywood Andy Hall UK diy 0 February 7th 08 10:58 PM
Tiling onto Plywood The Natural Philosopher UK diy 0 February 7th 08 08:14 PM
Tiling onto Plywood Stuart Noble UK diy 0 February 7th 08 05:26 PM
Can you screw into exterior grade 18mm plywood? dog-man UK diy 18 August 15th 06 01:44 PM