Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default damp concrete floor ?

ever since i bought my maisonette i have had problems with mould
appearing on the outside corner walls and along the ceiling edge. as
far as i could tell it was just condensation and lack of ventilation
causing damp then mould.

yesterday i took up the carpet in the bedroom and noticed the underlay
had some darker patches, which upon inspection were wet. underneath
the underlay is the original thin lino type tiles which i'm sure were
there from when the flat was new.

so i reckon somehow damp has saturated the underlay and carpet and
whenever the heating is on its evaporating into the room, ending up on
the walls and ceiling. this would make sense and explain the mould
growth which has seemed excessive.

so i'm asking anyone here what would my next step be ? how could the
damp have soaked the underlay? from the concrete or from the room
being cold and moisture drawn to the cold concrete floor? it should
all be damp proofed as its part of the flat and not an extension or
anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
[...]

Is this room on the northeastern corner of the building? Do you use and heat
this room much? Is it collecting much moisture from the bathroom/ kitchen.
Is the door to the hall kept open. I'm just wondering if it is acting as the
moisture trap. I think my first action would be to get hold of a
dehumidifier and try to draw the excess moisture out of the room. Once you
have got the humidity down to a reasonable level, then you could try to
explore where the moisture is coming from. If the moisture was coming
through the floor then the underlay would like continue to get wet whilst
the rest of the room *walls( kept comparatively dry.

Damp - should we lift a concrete floor Bitstreams UK diy 7 September 22nd 07 05:30 PM
Damp Wall / Concrete Floor Ed_Zep UK diy 3 January 7th 07 10:26 PM
concrete floor sealer? to prevent damp before laying vinyl tiles jim Home Repair 10 December 7th 06 07:28 PM
Damp ? Concrete Floor Dabbler UK diy 9 October 24th 06 12:48 PM
Damp proof paint for concrete floor Simon Hawthorne UK diy 0 November 10th 05 07:25 PM