Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default will and ordinary gas cooker work on bottled gas?

Hi. I have a 2-year old gas cooker which I want to take to
France. The house in France has no mains gas but they often have
large bottled gas supplies outside the house.

Will any cooker work on bottled gas?

TIA.

H.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howie says...
Hi. I have a 2-year old gas cooker which I want to take to
France. The house in France has no mains gas but they often have
large bottled gas supplies outside the house.

Will any cooker work on bottled gas?

TIA.

H.

Typically yes but it will need new jets. When our new
French cooker was delivered the fitters asked whether we
were on the gas main or on bottled gas - the cooker came
supplied with both types of jets and they just fitted the
relevant ones. In your case you will probably need to
contact the manufacturer and ask them for jets for bottled
(butane) gas.
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
Howie says...
Hi. I have a 2-year old gas cooker which I want to take to
France. The house in France has no mains gas but they often have
large bottled gas supplies outside the house.

Will any cooker work on bottled gas?

TIA.

H.

Typically yes but it will need new jets. When our new
French cooker was delivered the fitters asked whether we
were on the gas main or on bottled gas - the cooker came
supplied with both types of jets and they just fitted the
relevant ones. In your case you will probably need to
contact the manufacturer and ask them for jets for bottled
(butane) gas.

When I had different jets fitted for bottled gas the installer had to
adjust the gas flow to each burner. Had to use a long thin screwdriver
down the centre of the spindles for the control knob. Had to make a
suitable screwdriver.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Mar, 14:22, Howie
wrote:
Hi. I have a 2-year old gas cooker which I want to take to
France. The house in France has no mains gas but they often have
large bottled gas supplies outside the house.

Will any cooker work on bottled gas?

You'll need different jets, some adjustment, and possibly a different
hose. I'd ring the manufacturer. Some cookers can't safely be
converted at all.

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-24, Peter Scott wrote:

When I had different jets fitted for bottled gas the installer had to
adjust the gas flow to each burner. Had to use a long thin screwdriver
down the centre of the spindles for the control knob. Had to make a
suitable screwdriver.

BTDT. It's a Zanussi hob. And the installer was yours truly.

It's easy to make suitable screwdrivers from wire coathangers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-24, Peter Scott wrote:

When I had different jets fitted for bottled gas the installer had to
adjust the gas flow to each burner. Had to use a long thin screwdriver
down the centre of the spindles for the control knob. Had to make a
suitable screwdriver.

BTDT. It's a Zanussi hob. And the installer was yours truly.

It's easy to make suitable screwdrivers from wire coathangers.

That's a brilliant idea. Yet another page in the book 'One zillion
things to do with wire coathangers'.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Howie" wrote in message
Hi. I have a 2-year old gas cooker which I want to take to
France. The house in France has no mains gas but they often have
large bottled gas supplies outside the house.

Will any cooker work on bottled gas?

I recall looking into if a French range could be used in the UK. Their
natural gas is different in make up. Not only injectors had to be replaced,
the whole burner unit. It was just financially not worth it.

That does not mean a cooker cannot work going the other way, with injector
changes. A cooker designed to run on Natural or LPG gas may be suitable as
the burners will be a different design.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 26, 3:18*pm, Peter Scott wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

On 2008-03-24, Peter Scott wrote:

When I had different jets fitted for bottled gas the installer had to
adjust the gas flow to each burner. Had to use a long thin screwdriver
down the centre of the spindles for the control knob. Had to make a
suitable screwdriver.
BTDT. It's a Zanussi hob. And the installer was yours truly.

It's easy to make suitable screwdrivers from wire coathangers.

That's a brilliant idea. Yet another page in the book 'One zillion
things to do with wire coathangers'.

You can make a quite serviceable drill bit from one in an emergency.

MBQ

OT - Bottled Water J T Woodworking 36 October 28th 07 05:07 PM
Bottled Natural gas chris Home Ownership 9 November 16th 06 01:08 PM
Nicad and ordinary battery eswnl Electronics Repair 2 February 18th 06 03:08 PM
OK to use chipboard screws in ordinary wood? Christian McArdle Home Repair 15 May 25th 05 11:52 PM
34 GRAND for a cooker that doesn't work? Witchy UK diy 46 January 26th 04 11:03 AM