Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Base for metal shed

I have agreed to help someone erect a metal shed ( 10 ft x 6 ft ) but
it doesn't have a floor . Could someone advise on the best option - a
concrete slab , paving slabs ( with timber bearers etc ) I am
concerned about rain water run off and getting inside if it is just
erected on a concrete slab.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy" wrote in message
I have agreed to help someone erect a metal shed ( 10 ft x 6 ft ) but
it doesn't have a floor . Could someone advise on the best option - a
concrete slab , paving slabs ( with timber bearers etc ) I am
concerned about rain water run off and getting inside if it is just
erected on a concrete slab.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Wooden floors can be a haven for rodents underneath.
If poss I would erect direct to the concrete base, cover the inside with a
quality rubber mat and seal around the outside edge with a cement flaunch.

My next door neighbour just lifted his old wooden shed, on a wooden floor of
which there was around a third chewed away and a rat nest underneath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , RW
scribeth thus

"Andy" wrote in message
.. .
I have agreed to help someone erect a metal shed ( 10 ft x 6 ft ) but
it doesn't have a floor . Could someone advise on the best option - a
concrete slab , paving slabs ( with timber bearers etc ) I am
concerned about rain water run off and getting inside if it is just
erected on a concrete slab.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Wooden floors can be a haven for rodents underneath.
If poss I would erect direct to the concrete base, cover the inside with a
quality rubber mat and seal around the outside edge with a cement flaunch.

My next door neighbour just lifted his old wooden shed, on a wooden floor of
which there was around a third chewed away and a rat nest underneath.

Yes same here .. our cat knows where his lunch is...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , RW
scribeth thus
"Andy" wrote in message
I have agreed to help someone erect a metal shed ( 10 ft x 6 ft ) but
it doesn't have a floor . Could someone advise on the best option - a
concrete slab , paving slabs ( with timber bearers etc ) I am
concerned about rain water run off and getting inside if it is just
erected on a concrete slab.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Wooden floors can be a haven for rodents underneath.
If poss I would erect direct to the concrete base, cover the inside with a
quality rubber mat and seal around the outside edge with a cement flaunch.

My next door neighbour just lifted his old wooden shed, on a wooden floor of
which there was around a third chewed away and a rat nest underneath.

Yes same here .. our cat knows where his lunch is...

A concrete base is the recommendation, don't forget that it needs to be
a little larger then the shed itself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
I have agreed to help someone erect a metal shed ( 10 ft x 6 ft ) but
it doesn't have a floor . Could someone advise on the best option - a
concrete slab , paving slabs ( with timber bearers etc ) I am
concerned about rain water run off and getting inside if it is just
erected on a concrete slab.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

I have such a shed, though the base I erected it on was pre-existing and
not ideal.

I would definitely recommend a slab, for three reasons:

1. Structural, though maybe less significant on a smaller shed like
yours. A metal shed on loose paving stones would probably blow over in
the first real wind.

2. Flatness. If the base is not absolutely true, you'll end up with a
nightmare getting the roof together. The "leverage" of the wall height
means that even a small degree of out-of-square-ness puts the roof
components right out of whack. My base is very slightly humped in one
corner (didn't even notice it before) and I had to get very creative
with the final bits of roof.

3. If smooth, best chance of a seal between walls and floor. You're
right to be concerned about this. My base is slabs on cement, sometimes
with sizeable gaps. I sealed the walls to the base with spandy-foam, but
it wasn't entirely successful. I've since added a damp-course and wooden
floor inside; we'll see how well that lasts.

Note that the instructions lay down a specific size of slab which puts
the edges beneath the eaves and hence out of the purely hypothetical
vertical rain. Whether this makes any real difference I don't know. The
company I bought mine from sent the slab-building instructions through
the post a couple of weeks before the shed arrived.

Pete

shed base coco[_2_] UK diy 6 August 19th 07 03:29 AM
base for new shed Glenn UK diy 3 November 23rd 06 08:57 AM
Shed base help [email protected] UK diy 6 August 28th 06 12:14 AM
How do I seal metal shed base? Pedro Popadopolous UK diy 5 October 2nd 05 09:52 PM
Concrete shed base Craig Graham UK diy 4 June 29th 04 06:46 AM