Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much materials for shed base?

Hi,

I'm looking to make a base for a shed I want to buy which is 8' x 8'
based upon a layer of hardcore to cover the grass and border, a layer
of sharp sand over the hardcore and a layer of slabs on top of that,
followed by the shed of course once it's all level.

I was thinking a ton of hardcore and half a ton of sand. Does that
sound about right?

Thanks,

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to make a base for a shed I want to buy which is 8' x 8'
based upon a layer of hardcore to cover the grass and border, a layer
of sharp sand over the hardcore and a layer of slabs on top of that,
followed by the shed of course once it's all level.

I was thinking a ton of hardcore and half a ton of sand. Does that
sound about right?

Five eight foot concrete fence posts sound a bit better to me. Lay black
weed control fabric over the grass, space the posts 2' apart, level them up
& Robert is your dads brother.

Cheap, easy & allows ventilation under the base.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Mar, 21:59, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Jon wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to make a base for a shed I want to buy which is 8' x 8'
based upon a layer of hardcore to cover the grass and border, a layer
of sharp sand over the hardcore and a layer of slabs on top of that,
followed by the shed of course once it's all level.

I was thinking a ton of hardcore and half a ton of sand. Does that
sound about right?

Five eight foot concrete fence posts sound a bit better to me. Lay black
weed control fabric over the grass, space the posts 2' apart, level them up
& Robert is your dads brother.

Cheap, easy & allows ventilation under the base.

Thanks for your reply. I like the idea. The only problem with this
(which I omitted from my post) was that it's a corner shed, so it
doesn't fill the full 8x8' square.

Also, if I levelled the posts up with sand, wouldn't that be likely to
be washed away or move from under them over time? I can just picture
the sand moving as the posts aren't very wide.

Thanks,

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jon wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to make a base for a shed I want to buy which is 8' x 8'
based upon a layer of hardcore to cover the grass and border, a
layer of sharp sand over the hardcore and a layer of slabs on top
of that, followed by the shed of course once it's all level.

I was thinking a ton of hardcore and half a ton of sand. Does that
sound about right?

Five eight foot concrete fence posts sound a bit better to me. Lay
black weed control fabric over the grass, space the posts 2' apart,
level them up & Robert is your dads brother.

Cheap, easy & allows ventilation under the base.

Thanks for your reply. I like the idea. The only problem with this
(which I omitted from my post) was that it's a corner shed, so it
doesn't fill the full 8x8' square.

Angle grinder :-)

Also, if I levelled the posts up with sand, wouldn't that be likely to
be washed away or move from under them over time? I can just picture
the sand moving as the posts aren't very wide.

Don't level up - level down. Find the lowest post & dig under the others to
bring them level with it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jon wrote:
[...]

That makes sense. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jon wrote:
[...]

What a brilliant idea - I was just searching for how much sand to buy,
and now I shall be buying concrete posts instead :-)
Just need to make sure the shed joists go the right way

shed base coco[_2_] UK diy 6 August 19th 07 03:29 AM
Shed base repairs Stephen Howard UK diy 2 April 18th 07 10:38 AM
base for new shed Glenn UK diy 3 November 23rd 06 08:57 AM
Shed base help [email protected] UK diy 6 August 28th 06 12:14 AM
Concrete shed base Craig Graham UK diy 4 June 29th 04 06:46 AM