Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending water & CH to loft.

Hi all.
I have 15mm copper supplying H & C to bathroom and
22mm speedfit to fetch & carry to the rads in the bedrooms.
I will need to branch off from these lines to supply the loft.
So should I branch off and continue with 22m speedfit and 15mm copper
up to
the loft?
Or reduce down the pipework diameters in either or both cases?

When I get around to converting the loft it will only require 2 rads
at the most
And will probably have an ensuite bathroom.

I think my water pressure was a bit iffy when it came to filling the
old
header tank in the past.

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

Hi all.
I have 15mm copper supplying H & C to bathroom and
22mm speedfit to fetch & carry to the rads in the bedrooms.
I will need to branch off from these lines to supply the loft.
So should I branch off and continue with 22m speedfit and 15mm copper
up to
the loft?
Or reduce down the pipework diameters in either or both cases?

When I get around to converting the loft it will only require 2 rads
at the most
And will probably have an ensuite bathroom.

I think my water pressure was a bit iffy when it came to filling the
old
header tank in the past.

Thanks.

Arthur

Pipe size could be the least of your worries!

Is the CH system sealed or vented? If the latter, where is the F&E tank?
This clearly needs to be a suitable distance *above* the highest radiator.
Likewise, where is the cold header tank for the HW system? You obviously
ain't going to get any hot water flowing by gravity to any basin tap (or
shower head, even) which is higher than the level in header tank - and still
not much unless you can raise the tank well above the level of the highest
outlet.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:

[...]

I have a combi system. W-Bosch 28i located below the bathroom.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:

[...]

OK, so the CH is presumably pressurised? That should be ok as long as you've
got enough mains pressure to be able to fill and pressurise the bit in the
loft.

The HW system will also be at mains pressure - but if the mains pressure was
'iffy' when it came to filling the old header tank in the loft, it could be
equally 'iffy' in delivering hot water to basins and showers in the loft.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Davao wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:

[...]

I'm 'supposing' that the combi should be able to send hot water to the
loft at an aceptable pressure. I think its the cold pressure I'm most
concerned about.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote:

I'm 'supposing' that the combi should be able to send hot water to the
loft at an aceptable pressure. I think its the cold pressure I'm most
concerned about.

Arthur

So what do you 'suppose' it is which enables the combi to generate enough
pressure to send hot water to the loft?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:40:22 +0000 someone who may be Davao
wrote this:-

I'm 'supposing' that the combi should be able to send hot water to the
loft at an aceptable pressure. I think its the cold pressure I'm most
concerned about.

How do you suppose that the combination boiler increases the
pressure in the hot water system?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh