Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chopping up a wardrobe

I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under the
sloping roof.
Depending on where I'm putting it, I'll either have to chop the corner off
or chop the back.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under
the sloping roof.
Depending on where I'm putting it, I'll either have to chop the
corner off or chop the back.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

I once had to cut down 6 brand new IKEA double wardrobes for a lady - her
husband had measured the ceiling height incorrectly :-(

Took about 4" off the height.

Is it flatpack or pre assembled?

Picky of proposed location?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under
the sloping roof.
Depending on where I'm putting it, I'll either have to chop the
corner off or chop the back.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

Chainsaw

Angle Grinder :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:04:35 -0000, "Steven Campbell"
wrote:

I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under the
sloping roof.
Depending on where I'm putting it, I'll either have to chop the corner off
or chop the back.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

Steven.

Lay it on it's side?

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:

I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under the
sloping roof.
Depending on where I'm putting it, I'll either have to chop the corner off
or chop the back.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

Steven.

circular saw, electric plane. Not jigsaw.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:32:22 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

RW wrote:
"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under
the sloping roof.
Depending on where I'm putting it, I'll either have to chop the
corner off or chop the back.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

Chainsaw

Angle Grinder :-)

Fein MultiMaster

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under
the sloping roof.
Depending on where I'm putting it, I'll either have to chop the
corner off or chop the back.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

I once had to cut down 6 brand new IKEA double wardrobes for a lady - her
husband had measured the ceiling height incorrectly :-(

Took about 4" off the height.

Is it flatpack or pre assembled?

Picky of proposed location?

I've not bought it yet but will probably be from IKEA as my daughter has
furnished the room with everything else from there!!

http://tinyurl.com/yp5oww is the loft.
It would either be to the right of the banister facing the camera so would
need the corner chopped.
Or just before the door on the right so would have to chop the back.

There isn't that much room to play with. The vertical walls start sloping at
1.2m

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under the
sloping roof.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

I chopped the top off a wardrobe-like thing (part of a huge horrible
built-in furniture item left behind by the previous owners) in order to
use it in my shed. Circular saw straight through it in-situ worked fine,
but then again I wasn't looking for anything especially neat - is this
for an inhabited loft?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under
the sloping roof.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

I chopped the top off a wardrobe-like thing (part of a huge horrible
built-in furniture item left behind by the previous owners) in order to
use it in my shed. Circular saw straight through it in-situ worked fine,
but then again I wasn't looking for anything especially neat - is this
for an inhabited loft?

Pete

Usually no problem if you ditch the KD fittings and replace them with screws

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Verdon" d wrote in
message ...
Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under the
sloping roof.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

I chopped the top off a wardrobe-like thing (part of a huge horrible
built-in furniture item left behind by the previous owners) in order to
use it in my shed. Circular saw straight through it in-situ worked fine,
but then again I wasn't looking for anything especially neat - is this for
an inhabited loft?

Yes is it will be a bedroom for a teenager so needs to be presentable.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 10:37 am, "Steven Campbell" wrote:
"Pete Verdon" d wrote in

Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under the
sloping roof.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

I chopped the top off a wardrobe-like thing (part of a huge horrible
built-in furniture item left behind by the previous owners) in order to
use it in my shed. Circular saw straight through it in-situ worked fine,
but then again I wasn't looking for anything especially neat - is this for
an inhabited loft?

Yes is it will be a bedroom for a teenager so needs to be presentable.

Bedroom? Teenager? Presentable? That's an odd combination of words!
(I know, Dad's slightly rough DIY is on a par with placing him/her in
Guantanamo. His/her dirty ?socks?, and last weeks' supper plate are
irrelevancies).

On a more serious note, the problem you will have, is that the whole
thing is structural. You will need to fit some bracing otherwise the
whole thing will shake like a jelly (or just fall apart). You will
also need something to cover the bare chipboard where you make the
cut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm looking to *******ize a wardrobe so it can fit in the loft under
the sloping roof.
Depending on where I'm putting it, I'll either have to chop the
corner off or chop the back.
Anyone done anything similar and offer any advice?

I once had to cut down 6 brand new IKEA double wardrobes for a lady
- her husband had measured the ceiling height incorrectly :-(

Took about 4" off the height.

Is it flatpack or pre assembled?

Picky of proposed location?

I've not bought it yet but will probably be from IKEA as my daughter
has furnished the room with everything else from there!!

http://tinyurl.com/yp5oww is the loft.
It would either be so
would need the corner chopped.
Or just before the door on the right so would have to chop the back.

There isn't that much room to play with. The vertical walls start
sloping at 1.2m

How about 'to the right of the banister facing the camera' & trim the bottom
off to lower the height, leaving the corner as is. That would be easier &
leave it structurally sound. If you cut the corner off, the doors gonna ba
a problem I reckon.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk