Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH and HW are on : which takes priority

Hi,

I'm trying to further my understanding of my central heating system. I
have read the various FAQ's in this forum but one question I have.

My system is the 'classic' fully pumped gas fired system with a hot
water tank. One radiator is in the HW circuit as a fail safe, along
with some towel rails, to warm them in summer even though the main CH
system may be off.

My Question is when the timer has both CH & HW on, how is this
conflict resolved. Does the controller prioritise HW, or is the switch
in a Tee position where it routes the water from the boiler to both HW
& CH ? IS HW only selected when the CH is OFF i.e in the summer ? I
tend to rely on a timer stat so my CH is always ON and I allow the
programmable stat to determine when the pump gets enabled

My tank has a moulded foam insulation plus an additional lagging
jacket. I'm finding in cold weather the house takes a long time to get
up to desired temperature, if at all. While this may be affected by
insulation etc, I wonder if the conflicting requirements of HW & CH
reduce the responsiveness. perhaps I should schedule HW much earlier
in the day and rely on good tank insulation to keep it hit until
evening ?

[PRIORITY] SPORTS OR YOUR PHONE? MICC UK diy 4 January 23rd 07 06:45 PM
Which stat has priority John UK diy 9 October 26th 06 02:05 PM
Furnace priority switch user22 Home Repair 8 May 4th 06 10:20 PM
CH or DG - priority? Mogweed. UK diy 23 March 27th 06 05:19 PM
Is it possible to change boiler priority? Jon UK diy 16 October 28th 05 11:19 AM