Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MDF vs softwood

Given that MDF doesnt cup and bow like softwood (particularly cheaper
softwood that hasnt been handled properly), what are the disadvantages
of using it for skirtings an mouldings over normal wood? Is it less
resistant to knocks etc. on external corners for e.g.?? Cheers!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:

Given that MDF doesnt cup and bow like softwood (particularly cheaper
softwood that hasnt been handled properly), what are the disadvantages
of using it for skirtings an mouldings over normal wood? Is it less
resistant to knocks etc. on external corners for e.g.?? Cheers!

IMO, too soft, and if it gets wet, it is knackered.
I had to have a look at a shower that was 'sagging' recently, the fitter
had rested the tray on 18mm MDF. The shower had leaked, the MDF had
turned into cardboard, and the shower tray stated to lean into that
corner.
If it isnt going to be knocked, or get damp, them it is fine for light
usage.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
Given that MDF doesnt cup and bow like softwood (particularly cheaper
softwood that hasnt been handled properly), what are the disadvantages
of using it for skirtings an mouldings over normal wood? Is it less
resistant to knocks etc. on external corners for e.g.?? Cheers!

Less (or no) resistance to water so not ideal if the floor's going to
get wet.

Possibly a bit less resistant to knocks than softwood? Dunno. Anyway, I
use it a lot for skirtings. Also comes already primed, so if you've got
a lot to fit, that's one less coat of paint to apply!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Richard wrote:

Given that MDF doesnt cup and bow like softwood (particularly cheaper
softwood that hasnt been handled properly), what are the disadvantages
of using it for skirtings an mouldings over normal wood? Is it less
resistant to knocks etc. on external corners for e.g.?? Cheers!

IMO, too soft, and if it gets wet, it is knackered.
I had to have a look at a shower that was 'sagging' recently, the fitter
had rested the tray on 18mm MDF. The shower had leaked, the MDF had
turned into cardboard, and the shower tray stated to lean into that
corner.
If it isnt going to be knocked, or get damp, them it is fine for light
usage.
Alan.

Its not soft at all. Its harder than pine for sure.

Doesn't take well to being soaked, but not a lot does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 29, 8:01*am, Lobster wrote:
Richard wrote:

Possibly a bit less resistant to knocks than softwood? Dunno. *Anyway, I
use it a lot for skirtings. *Also comes already primed, so if you've got
a lot to fit, that's one less coat of paint to apply!

David

Only down side for use as skirtings is you couldn't really stain and
varnish it. (Rather drab grain!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:

Possibly a bit less resistant to knocks than softwood? Dunno. Anyway, I
use it a lot for skirtings. Also comes already primed, so if you've got
a lot to fit, that's one less coat of paint to apply!

David

Only down side for use as skirtings is you couldn't really stain and
varnish it. (Rather drab grain!).

I made a new cupboard door with MDF and varnished it afterwards. It came up
better than the actual pine pacings that were varnished.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
Given that MDF doesnt cup and bow like softwood (particularly cheaper
softwood that hasnt been handled properly), what are the disadvantages
of using it for skirtings an mouldings over normal wood? Is it less
resistant to knocks etc. on external corners for e.g.?? Cheers!

Mines been down 8 years & I've not noticed any 'dongs' anywhere - and thats
with a roller skating granddaughter around twice a week.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Feb, 20:27, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Richard wrote:
Given that MDF doesnt cup and bow like softwood (particularly cheaper
softwood that hasnt been handled properly), what are the disadvantages
of using it for skirtings an mouldings over normal wood? Is it less
resistant to knocks etc. on external corners for e.g.?? Cheers!

Mines been down 8 years & I've not noticed any 'dongs' anywhere - and thats
with a roller skating granddaughter around twice a week.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Thanks all - just wanted to check there was no real downside to the
stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Richard wrote:
Given that MDF doesnt cup and bow like softwood (particularly
cheaper softwood that hasnt been handled properly), what are the
disadvantages of using it for skirtings an mouldings over normal
wood? Is it less resistant to knocks etc. on external corners for
e.g.?? Cheers!

Mines been down 8 years & I've not noticed any 'dongs' anywhere -
and thats with a roller skating granddaughter around twice a week.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Thanks all - just wanted to check there was no real downside to the
stuff.

Richard,

Protect yourself against the dust by wearing a particle filter mask when
cutting it - if I recall correctly, the dust can cause health problems (I
read the warnings some years ago) and to refresh my old brain, I did a quick
'google' came up with the following:

http://www.childrensfurniture.co.uk/mdf.html

BRG

Refinishing softwood floors G Francis Home Repair 4 January 27th 08 04:26 PM
Use of softwood flooring [email protected] UK diy 9 July 21st 07 04:22 PM
softwood floor Fred Woodworking 1 November 12th 06 09:53 AM
Treatment of new softwood gate ? Sean UK diy 5 September 16th 05 10:05 PM
Can softwood windows last as long as hardwood? r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 35 July 23rd 05 04:12 PM