Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weight of bath + water+ A Body

I am considering getting a new aquarium to put in my living room and
it could be as large as 44 x 18 x 18 inches .I know how much the tank
weighs and the water ( 234 litres at a lb a litre) and then there is
the weight of rocks and the cupboard that it sits on .
I was trying to compare it with a bath,filled with water plus a body
in the bath . I can calculate the weight of water and my body weight
is easy enough to get but can anyone suggest what a plastic bath might
weigh .?
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:24:40 +0000, wrote:

the water ( 234 litres at a lb a litre)

1kg per litre

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electrical for Visio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:24:40 +0000, stillnobodyhome wrote:

I am considering getting a new aquarium to put in my living room and it
could be as large as 44 x 18 x 18 inches .I know how much the tank
weighs and the water ( 234 litres at a lb a litre) and then there is the
weight of rocks and the cupboard that it sits on . I was trying to
compare it with a bath,filled with water plus a body in the bath . I can
calculate the weight of water and my body weight is easy enough to get
but can anyone suggest what a plastic bath might weigh .?
Stuart

Compared to the rest of it, nothing.

A plastic bath is an easy one man lift - say 20-30lbs depending on
quality.

And a litre of water weighs a kilogram (2.2lbs) not a pound..

I'd guesstimate a 44"x18"x18" aquarium as around 600-650lbs all in. So
that's three big blokes stood close together, one behind the other.

Don't put it in the middle of a suspended floor, but near the walls
should be OK. Don't quote me on that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:27:12 +0000, Paul Herber
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:24:40 +0000, wrote:

the water ( 234 litres at a lb a litre)

1kg per litre

Ah yeah .Thats what I meant :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:33:05 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:24:40 +0000, stillnobodyhome wrote:

I am considering getting a new aquarium to put in my living room and it
could be as large as 44 x 18 x 18 inches .I know how much the tank
weighs and the water ( 234 litres at a lb a litre) and then there is the
weight of rocks and the cupboard that it sits on . I was trying to
compare it with a bath,filled with water plus a body in the bath . I can
calculate the weight of water and my body weight is easy enough to get
but can anyone suggest what a plastic bath might weigh .?
Stuart

Compared to the rest of it, nothing.

A plastic bath is an easy one man lift - say 20-30lbs depending on
quality.

And a litre of water weighs a kilogram (2.2lbs) not a pound..

Ooops ...Ah yeah .Thats what I meant :-)

I'd guesstimate a 44"x18"x18" aquarium as around 600-650lbs all in. So
that's three big blokes stood close together, one behind the other.

Don't put it in the middle of a suspended floor, but near the walls
should be OK. Don't quote me on that...

That sounds about right .It would be up against a wall anyway .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul Herber" wrote in message
ell.net...
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:24:40 +0000, wrote:

the water ( 234 litres at a lb a litre)

1kg per litre

Well not if you use the water you get when you melt dry ice which of course
is dry water which weighs a lot less than wet water.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

( 234 litres at a lb a litre)

A litre weighs a kilo. An Imperial Gallon (not a Yankee gallon) weighs
ten pounds.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

( 234 litres at a lb a litre)

A litre weighs a kilo. An Imperial Gallon (not a Yankee gallon) weighs
ten pounds.

Since the OP quoted his tank in inches a cubic foot of water at 62.4lb
just might be the figure he really needs.

Rocks will probably have a density of somewhere between 2.5 and 3.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:51:42 GMT, Roger
wrote:

The message
from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

( 234 litres at a lb a litre)

A litre weighs a kilo. An Imperial Gallon (not a Yankee gallon) weighs
ten pounds.

Since the OP quoted his tank in inches a cubic foot of water at 62.4lb
just might be the figure he really needs.

Rocks will probably have a density of somewhere between 2.5 and 3.

No.I did actually make a mistake in saying a litre weighs a lb and not
a Kilo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 22:16:03 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

pretended :
I am considering getting a new aquarium to put in my living room and
it could be as large as 44 x 18 x 18 inches .I know how much the tank
weighs and the water ( 234 litres at a lb a litre) and then there is
the weight of rocks and the cupboard that it sits on .
I was trying to compare it with a bath,filled with water plus a body
in the bath . I can calculate the weight of water and my body weight
is easy enough to get but can anyone suggest what a plastic bath might
weigh .?

A plastic bath weighs not a lot.

A body weighs a little less the its same volume of water. You don't
need the weight of a full bath of water plus body, because as soon as
the body enters the water the water would be displaced (down the
drain).

Well that would only be the case if there was enough water in it to
let the water overflow .I was just meaning a normal amount of water
when taking a bath
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
pretended :
I am considering getting a new aquarium to put in my living room and
it could be as large as 44 x 18 x 18 inches .I know how much the tank
weighs and the water ( 234 litres at a lb a litre) and then there is
the weight of rocks and the cupboard that it sits on .
I was trying to compare it with a bath,filled with water plus a body
in the bath . I can calculate the weight of water and my body weight
is easy enough to get but can anyone suggest what a plastic bath might
weigh .?

A plastic bath weighs not a lot.

A body weighs a little less the its same volume of water. You don't
need the weight of a full bath of water plus body, because as soon as
the body enters the water the water would be displaced (down the drain).

Eureka ! - as they say

--
geoff