Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default nothing to fix cabinet to

wall cabinet that's going next to window. The old one was right in the
corner of the last brick (rawlbolt) after that its just filler and a
scrappy wooden lintel and gaps. The new fixing needs to be right in
the "hole". What do I do? Cut a brick to fill the space and cement it
in? If so how long will the cement next to go off?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike......." asked;
wall cabinet that's going next to window. The old one was right in the
corner of the last brick (rawlbolt) after that its just filler and a
scrappy wooden lintel and gaps. The new fixing needs to be right in
the "hole". What do I do? Cut a brick to fill the space and cement it
in? If so how long will the cement next to go off?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email

Mortar is normally used to bed a brick to other bricks in a wall. You could
possibly use concrete (cement and sand) to fix a brick in place. Mortar
should have set after 24 hours at the most, and concrete should have set
after 48 hours at the most.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Following up to "DIY" wrote:

Mortar is normally used to bed a brick to other bricks in a wall. You could
possibly use concrete (cement and sand) to fix a brick in place. Mortar
should have set after 24 hours at the most, and concrete should have set
after 48 hours at the most.

thanks, I was thinking concrete as its going to be a essentially
bodged up repair of a space left by badish DIY 30 tears ago. Would
concrete give more strength?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Following up to Mike....... wrote:

Would
concrete give more strength?

my inclination looking at the hole is that putting a third of a brick
in would give something to fix to but how secure will it be with a bit
of mortar poked in as best you can? If I push a load of cement in it
will conform to the irregular shape and wont be able to fall out
because of it shape?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Following up to Mike....... wrote:

Would
concrete give more strength?

in meant cement
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 5:15 pm, "DIY" wrote:
"Mike......." asked;

wall cabinet that's going next to window. The old one was right in the
corner of the last brick (rawlbolt) after that its just filler and a
scrappy wooden lintel and gaps. The new fixing needs to be right in
the "hole". What do I do? Cut a brick to fill the space and cement it
in? If so how long will the cement next to go off?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email

Mortar is normally used to bed a brick to other bricks in a wall. You could
possibly use concrete (cement and sand) to fix a brick in place.

What is mortar if not cement and sand? (OK, it might be lime mortar,
but I wouldn't recommend that here).

To the OP:
What do I do?

The Natural Philosopher will be along shortly to say "car body filler"
- and this might well be a good application.

I can't visualize the situation, but I would hesitate to use concrete
in any application that requires tensile strength - it is very strong
in compression, but if you pull it even a tiny bit, it will crack.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2008 15:56, Martin Bonner wrote:

The Natural Philosopher will be along shortly to say "car body filler"
- and this might well be a good application.

In similar circumstances, when hanging a row of cupboards, there was
nothing substantal to bite into for one of them, so I hacked out the
loose stuff and filled and drilled with

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...polyfilla.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Following up to Martin Bonner wrote:

The Natural Philosopher will be along shortly to say "car body filler"
- and this might well be a good application.

never thought of that!

I can't visualize the situation, but I would hesitate to use concrete
in any application that requires tensile strength - it is very strong
in compression, but if you pull it even a tiny bit, it will crack.

its in an irregular shaped hole that should have been a half brick, if
fancy polyfilla did the job, im hoping cement will. It has nowhere to
go so shouldnt crack?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 4:18 pm, Mike.......
wrote:
Following up to Martin Bonner wrote:

The Natural Philosopher will be along shortly to say "car body filler"
- and this might well be a good application.

never thought of that!

I can't visualize the situation, but I would hesitate to use concrete
in any application that requires tensile strength - it is very strong
in compression, but if you pull it even a tiny bit, it will crack.

its in an irregular shaped hole that should have been a half brick, if
fancy polyfilla did the job, im hoping cement will. It has nowhere to
go so shouldnt crack?

Ah right. That should be fine.