Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roof Tiles and winds

Having been in my new home for just about a year, recent storms have shown
that our roof tiles sound as though they lift and slam back down again,
making one hell of a racket. Is this right? I've never had this before in
any of the homes I've stayed in, and the first night it happened, I moved my
car out of the way just in case, but the noise kept the family awake till
five in the morning.

Usually this happens at night, and I can't see onto the roof to witness
this.

Regards

SantaUK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"SantaUK" wrote:

Having been in my new home for just about a year, recent storms have shown
that our roof tiles sound as though they lift and slam back down again,
making one hell of a racket. I moved my
car out of the way just in case, but the noise kept the family awake till
five in the morning.

Usually this happens at night, and I can't see onto the roof to witness
this.

SantaUK

You've not left the reindeers up there, have you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

;-)))

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Having been in my new home for just about a year, recent storms have shown
that our roof tiles sound as though they lift and slam back down again,
making one hell of a racket. Is this right? I've never had this before
in any of the homes I've stayed in, and the first night it happened, I
moved my car out of the way just in case, but the noise kept the family
awake till five in the morning.

Usually this happens at night, and I can't see onto the roof to witness
this.

Regards

SantaUK

Roof tiles should not lift in the moderate wind we've had over the last few
days. Usually the tiles are lifted by vortex wind, but I've never known them
to lift and slam back down. The only time I've come across tiles rattling is
on vertical tile hanging. What type of tile is on the roof, Rosemary type or
profiled interlocking type. Is the roof a flat or steep pitch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SantaUK wrote:
Having been in my new home for just about a year, recent storms have
shown that our roof tiles sound as though they lift and slam back
down again, making one hell of a racket. Is this right? I've never
had this before in any of the homes I've stayed in, and the first
night it happened, I moved my car out of the way just in case, but
the noise kept the family awake till five in the morning.

Usually this happens at night, and I can't see onto the roof to
witness this.

Sorta rippling noise, like you'd get from a tide on a pebble beach, or
riffling a pack of cards? Seen other houses with that in windy locations -
tiles lift and fall in a gentle mexican wave, but never so far that they
come unattached

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Steve Walker wrote:
SantaUK wrote:
Having been in my new home for just about a year, recent storms have
shown that our roof tiles sound as though they lift and slam back
down again, making one hell of a racket. Is this right? I've never
had this before in any of the homes I've stayed in, and the first
night it happened, I moved my car out of the way just in case, but
the noise kept the family awake till five in the morning.

Usually this happens at night, and I can't see onto the roof to
witness this.

Sorta rippling noise, like you'd get from a tide on a pebble beach, or
riffling a pack of cards? Seen other houses with that in windy locations -
tiles lift and fall in a gentle mexican wave, but never so far that they
come unattached

A while ago this was shown on television related to a whole estate of
houses where the tiles had not been fitted properly. From memory, it was
something like every third row should be nailed - or was it the end ones
of every row? Or...

Wasn't really paying attention at the time. Not sure what channel or
year! Possibly Watchdog within the last three years?

Seem to remember that huge numbers blew off completely when the wind
blew quite strongly one night. And I don't think that was a hurricane or
tornado.

Please someone help me - I am sure I saw something... :-) Anyone else
remember?
--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:14:57 GMT, wrote:

On 22 Feb,
"keith_765" wrote:

"SantaUK" wrote in message
[...]

Mine often rattle in high wind, but they haven't in the recent gales. They
are danum slate (interlocking concrete tiles, there's a redland equivalent).
The builder was a cowboy mass producing one beginning with a B.

Bellend?

I get an awful lot of tile rattle in strong winds (such as on
Thursday) too; although I haven't gone outside to listen specifically,
they sound like the vertical tiles around the north-facing front
dormer of the house. I'm not certain what they are made of, but they
are green-coloured Marley things (possibly concrete) dating from ca.
1973.
The roof has about a 50 degree pitch and the only damage I've
sustained to its tiles (famous last words!) has been caused by
dislocation of a couple of ridge tiles a few years ago.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Having been in my new home for just about a year, recent storms have shown
that our roof tiles sound as though they lift and slam back down again,
making one hell of a racket. Is this right? I've never had this before
in any of the homes I've stayed in, and the first night it happened, I
moved my car out of the way just in case, but the noise kept the family
awake till five in the morning.

Usually this happens at night, and I can't see onto the roof to witness
this.

Regards

SantaUK

You might find it is the wind resonating the gutters! Odd as it might
sound, it does happen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

CUT
Roof tiles should not lift in the moderate wind we've had over the last
few days. Usually the tiles are lifted by vortex wind, but I've never
known them to lift and slam back down. The only time I've come across
tiles rattling is on vertical tile hanging. What type of tile is on the
roof, Rosemary type or profiled interlocking type. Is the roof a flat or
steep pitch.

Mine often rattle in high wind, but they haven't in the recent gales. They
are danum slate (interlocking concrete tiles, there's a redland
equivalent).
The builder was a cowboy mass producing one beginning with a B.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

The danum slate, which is no longer produced, as no nail holes, they should
be fixed with bittern clips and should have verge clips as well. The Redland
one is the Stonewold, not to be confused with the mini stonewold, which is
smaller.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I get an awful lot of tile rattle in strong winds (such as on
Thursday) too; although I haven't gone outside to listen specifically,
they sound like the vertical tiles around the north-facing front
dormer of the house. I'm not certain what they are made of, but they
are green-coloured Marley things (possibly concrete) dating from ca.
1973.
The roof has about a 50 degree pitch and the only damage I've
sustained to its tiles (famous last words!) has been caused by
dislocation of a couple of ridge tiles a few years ago.

--
Frank Erskine

As stated before, vertical tile cladding is prone to tile rattle. The cure
for this is to place a dob of silicone underneath about half way up across
the joint of the two tiles below.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian" wrote in message

"SantaUK" wrote in message
Having been in my new home for just about a year, recent storms have
shown that our roof tiles sound as though they lift and slam back down
again, making one hell of a racket. Is this right? I've never had this
before in any of the homes I've stayed in, and the first night it
happened, I moved my car out of the way just in case, but the noise kept
the family awake till five in the morning.

Usually this happens at night, and I can't see onto the roof to witness
this.

Regards

SantaUK

You might find it is the wind resonating the gutters! Odd as it might
sound, it does happen.

Its not usually the gutter that resonating, but more likely the overhanging
underlay. Modern underlay is very flexible and vibrates in the gutter.

what is the fabric for under the roof tiles? RobertL UK diy 8 September 19th 07 11:16 PM
roof tiles [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 24th 07 10:42 PM
roof tiles asalcedo UK diy 5 August 17th 06 12:58 PM
roof tiles asalcedo UK diy 0 August 14th 06 05:46 PM
Roof Tiles Don Bouchard Home Repair 1 February 10th 05 03:21 AM