Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable size

What size cable would you install for a Cooker cct.
This is being installed as part of a kitchen re-furbishment and the
current owners do not have and won't be purchasing an Elect Cooker but
want to provide the option. So, I don't have any loading details
because they don't posses a cooker.
I'm not sure of the typical max load of Elect Cookers or what
diversity factor to apply.
The distance from the CU is 16M
My thoughts are either 6mm T&E with a 32A MCB or 10mm T&E with a 42A
MCB ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ac1951 writes:
What size cable would you install for a Cooker cct.
This is being installed as part of a kitchen re-furbishment and the
current owners do not have and won't be purchasing an Elect Cooker but
want to provide the option. So, I don't have any loading details
because they don't posses a cooker.
I'm not sure of the typical max load of Elect Cookers or what
diversity factor to apply.
The distance from the CU is 16M
My thoughts are either 6mm T&E with a 32A MCB or 10mm T&E with a 42A
MCB ?

I install 6mm on a 32A MCB in this case.
I install a single unswitched 13A socket on the flex outlet box,
if there's no electric cooker being installed at the time. This
often ends up with the plug for spark generator on a gas cooker
plugged in to it, or an electric oven with 13A plug, but it's
capable of being upgraded for an electric hob if/when required.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ac1951 wrote:

What size cable would you install for a Cooker cct.
This is being installed as part of a kitchen re-furbishment and the
current owners do not have and won't be purchasing an Elect Cooker but
want to provide the option. So, I don't have any loading details
because they don't posses a cooker.
I'm not sure of the typical max load of Elect Cookers or what
diversity factor to apply.

Not quite what you asked for, but the new range cooker I've just bought
(two largish ovens and grill) specified 6mm^2 for the connection from
wall to cooker. The existing cable in the wall looked bigger; maybe
10mm^2. It's on a 32A MCB.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ac1951 wrote:
What size cable would you install for a Cooker cct.
This is being installed as part of a kitchen re-furbishment and the
current owners do not have and won't be purchasing an Elect Cooker but
want to provide the option. So, I don't have any loading details
because they don't posses a cooker.
I'm not sure of the typical max load of Elect Cookers or what
diversity factor to apply.
The distance from the CU is 16M
My thoughts are either 6mm T&E with a 32A MCB or 10mm T&E with a 42A
MCB ?

6mm with the allowed diversity should be fine for most eventualities.

(diversity on domestic cookers is to take the load as 10A plus 30% of
the remainder of the actual maximum load, then add a further 5A if there
is a socket on the cooker unit)

--
Cheers,

John.

6mm Cable Insulated Size TheScullster UK diy 2 February 19th 07 09:35 AM
Cooker Cable Size TheScullster UK diy 5 March 16th 06 01:22 PM
Cable size question Kalico UK diy 5 August 16th 05 09:06 AM
Cable size for re-siting CU Peter Riocreux UK diy 15 April 25th 05 10:32 AM
Cable Size Help Please xavier UK diy 5 October 13th 04 04:43 PM