Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alarms: PIR's and 8 core cable

If two PIR's are connected on the same 8 core cable, how are these wired up?
Given there are normally 6 cores to each PIR, how are two PIR's wired with
one 8 core cable?

Basically I think I have managed to put a screw through the return wires to
the panel. The PIR's are still getting power and the tamper circuit has not
been tripped. I spoke to the guy who commissioned the alarm (the builder
installed all the cables, he just connected the panel) and he said I could
take out the tamper circuit and swap the return wires with the tamper at
both ends. This will cure the problem, although I will no longer have the
tamper protection.

If 2 PIR's are on the one cable, are the tamper wires shared? If so, I don't
think I can do as he suggests??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"diy-newby" writes:
If two PIR's are connected on the same 8 core cable, how are these wired up?
Given there are normally 6 cores to each PIR, how are two PIR's wired with
one 8 core cable?

Basically I think I have managed to put a screw through the return wires to
the panel. The PIR's are still getting power and the tamper circuit has not
been tripped. I spoke to the guy who commissioned the alarm (the builder
installed all the cables, he just connected the panel) and he said I could
take out the tamper circuit and swap the return wires with the tamper at
both ends. This will cure the problem, although I will no longer have the
tamper protection.

If 2 PIR's are on the one cable, are the tamper wires shared? If so, I don't
think I can do as he suggests??

It depends heavily on the type of panel, and the type of install
(sometimes internal detectors don't even get tamper protection
wired to them).

A common configuration is a single tamper loop in series through
all the detectors, so there will only be one pair in the cable
for it, regardless of the number of sensors/zones the cable splits
off to.

Sometimes there's no separate tamper circuit -- it's done with
single or dual end-of-line resistors on the zone circuits, so
the zone goes different resistances for OK, tripped, and tamper.

Most likely, you have the standard 6 cores you would get for one
PIR, and an additional pair for just the detector circuit on the
second PIR, assuming they are on separate zones (or panel inputs).

However, given the cable wasn't installed by the alarm installer,
the number of cores may not match actual usage by the alarm
installer.

Can you find where you put the screw through and repair it?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"diy-newby" writes:
[...]

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Can you find where you put the screw through and repair it?

I put in about a hundred screws in the upstairs landing due to loose /
squeaking floor boards

2-core cable [email protected] UK diy 17 February 1st 08 11:45 PM
guide sleeves, polit bit, core bit, core lifter, core barrel, TUDEX, ODEX, DTH hammer, drilling wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 10:45 AM
Switching two appliances from one four-core cable Martin Pentreath UK diy 8 January 13th 06 11:24 PM
Curly 7 core trailer cable rjs UK diy 23 September 5th 05 05:39 PM
5 core CCTV cable; connecting/joining Gel UK diy 4 May 31st 05 06:10 PM