Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default homeplugs

Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Any thoughts appreciated
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Any thoughts appreciated

In my experience, with these
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=3Z8G, they are easy to set
up, secure and very reliable. Much more relaible than any wireless ethernet
I've tried.

I'm not sure how often they provide their maxiumum specified bandwidth, but
it sounds like you'll only be routing a broadband feed over it, so the
broadband is likely to be the bottleneck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Any thoughts appreciated

Have a look at the recent thread I started "OT: recommendations for
networked drive?" - this came up as a bit of a sub-topic in that.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Adjacent kit makes no difference AFAIK, unlike with WiFi. The
recommendation is to plug them into a wall socket rather than an
extension lead, for maximum data rate. Some are rather bulky and block
adjacent sockets.

You're bound to get less than the headline data rate but they'll be more
reliable, more secure, and easier to set up than any wireless solution.
If your budget will stand it go for the 200 Mbps models, and expect 50
Mbps.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Any thoughts appreciated

Http://www.solwise.com

are a very good supplier of such things, and have a lot of product know
how and support....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Any thoughts appreciated

Http://www.solwise.com

are a very good supplier of such things, and have a lot of product know
how and support....

Thanks. I've read the blurb but thought they seemed too good to be true
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Any thoughts appreciated

Ive been following the various threads here and elsewhere, and the
answere seems to be 'mostly very well' but some people have had issues
in some areas where they simply don't work at all.

However, MOSTLY better than wireless. For fixed installations, but NEVER
as good as cat 5...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 13:48, Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:

Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Adjacent kit makes no difference AFAIK, unlike with WiFi. The
recommendation is to plug them into a wall socket rather than an
extension lead, for maximum data rate. Some are rather bulky and block
adjacent sockets.

You're bound to get less than the headline data rate but they'll be more
reliable, more secure, and easier to set up than any wireless solution.
If your budget will stand it go for the 200 Mbps models, and expect 50
Mbps.

--
Mike Barnes

I have used these..... straight forward ! Good for use in an area
where wiFi is bad in a house !
Plug into wall socks ... uses the earth cable i believe ! One
straight to PC the other into a Router.. near the main PC .
DHCP will automatically give an IP address.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Adjacent kit makes no difference AFAIK, unlike with WiFi. The
recommendation is to plug them into a wall socket rather than an
extension lead, for maximum data rate. Some are rather bulky and block
adjacent sockets.

Ah. Hadn't thought about that. I don't think I can allow it to hog a
whole double socket but maybe it'll deliver the required 2 Mbps on an
extension lead.

You're bound to get less than the headline data rate but they'll be more
reliable, more secure, and easier to set up than any wireless solution.
If your budget will stand it go for the 200 Mbps models, and expect 50
Mbps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Adjacent kit makes no difference AFAIK, unlike with WiFi. The
recommendation is to plug them into a wall socket rather than an
extension lead, for maximum data rate. Some are rather bulky and block
adjacent sockets.

Ah. Hadn't thought about that. I don't think I can allow it to hog a
whole double socket

The model I use (dLan 200 AVDesk) is on a flying lead, so (unusually) it
doesn't suffer from that problem.

but maybe it'll deliver the required 2 Mbps on an extension lead.

I do *much* better than that on a path that includes an extension lead
(see the thread "OT: recommendations for networked drive?"). In fact for
2 Mbps I'd consider using a previous generation model (85 Mbps) because
those are cheaper and often small enough not to block adjacent sockets.

Someone else mention Solwise and I'd second that - ask them what they'd
advise for your situation.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Stuart Noble wrote:
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Adjacent kit makes no difference AFAIK, unlike with WiFi. The
recommendation is to plug them into a wall socket rather than an
extension lead, for maximum data rate. Some are rather bulky and block
adjacent sockets.

Ah. Hadn't thought about that. I don't think I can allow it to hog a whole
double socket but maybe it'll deliver the required 2 Mbps on an extension
lead.

Use 2-way "brick" to extend it from the socket a bit, I had to do that on a
couple of wall warts to avoid fitting extra sockets.

Any normal extension that isn't 100m of coiled cable should give you that
speed. ;-)
Extension cables aren't likely to be any worse than T&E at those
frequencies.
They are radio devices even if its mainly carried on the cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote in
:

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a
network or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry
on the ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the
usual PC spaghetti being in close proximity?

Any thoughts appreciated

Http://www.solwise.com

are a very good supplier of such things, and have a lot of product
know how and support....

Thanks. I've read the blurb but thought they seemed too good to be
true

Lou at Solwise is a very genuine bloke - his stuff works, and at a very
good price (compared to the alternatives).
I run a network of 5 networked devices using Solwise Homeplugs - always
have worked seamlessly, without a blip - ever!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Http://www.solwise.com

are a very good supplier of such things, and have a lot of product know
how and support....

Thanks. I've read the blurb but thought they seemed too good to be true

We have used lots of them in a number of situations - they work very
well in general. Best performance when plugged into the wall and not an
extension lead, and they don't like being on the output of a UPS either!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Adjacent kit makes no difference AFAIK, unlike with WiFi. The
recommendation is to plug them into a wall socket rather than an
extension lead, for maximum data rate. Some are rather bulky and block
adjacent sockets.

Ah. Hadn't thought about that. I don't think I can allow it to hog a
whole double socket but maybe it'll deliver the required 2 Mbps on an
extension lead.

Solwise have a version with a power lead that solves that problem.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Adjacent kit makes no difference AFAIK, unlike with WiFi. The
recommendation is to plug them into a wall socket rather than an
extension lead, for maximum data rate. Some are rather bulky and block
adjacent sockets.

Ah. Hadn't thought about that. I don't think I can allow it to hog a
whole double socket but maybe it'll deliver the required 2 Mbps on an
extension lead.

Solwise have a version with a power lead that solves that problem.

I can't believe that Virgin aren't offering this option. A lot of
potential customers are put off by the prospect of cable running all
over the place, and don't fancy the possible complications of a router.
This sounds a bit of a doddle for £40.
Of course the registration process will probably take all day, but maybe
Virgin have sorted that out since taking over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 15:24, Stuart Noble
wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Stuart Noble
scribeth thus
Anyone got any experience of these things? This is not to run a network
or anything, just one PC on the first floor with cable entry on the
ground floor. Are they affected by transformers and all the usual PC
spaghetti being in close proximity?

Any thoughts appreciated

Http://www.solwise.com

are a very good supplier of such things, and have a lot of product know
how and support....

Thanks. I've read the blurb but thought they seemed too good to be true

I agree Solwise are great
WEP key on wireless transmitter bit
proper instructions
Worked perfectly 12 months
HTH Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

I can't believe that Virgin aren't offering this option. A lot of
potential customers are put off by the prospect of cable running all
over the place, and don't fancy the possible complications of a router.
This sounds a bit of a doddle for £40.
Of course the registration process will probably take all day, but maybe
Virgin have sorted that out since taking over.

There ought to come a time where routers with homeplug built in are
common, and so are PCs with the capacity built in. Then home networking
truly will be plug and play.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Feb, 12:22, John Rumm wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
I can't believe that Virgin aren't offering this option. A lot of
potential customers are put off by the prospect of cable running all
over the place, and don't fancy the possible complications of a router.
This sounds a bit of a doddle for £40.
Of course the registration process will probably take all day, but maybe
Virgin have sorted that out since taking over.

There ought to come a time where routers with homeplug built in are
common, and so are PCs with the capacity built in. Then home networking
truly will be plug and play.

--
Cheers,

John.

Just as an update, the Solwise homeplugs worked like a dream straight
from the box. No problems on a 6 socket extension lead with all the
other PC stuff.
That's new technology for you! Then I got to thinking about baby
alarms 30 years ago. Maybe not so new.