Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refinishing Pine Furniture

I need to refinish a pine desk. The original finish is somewhat worn
plus scratches and all the normal wear and tear. I guess the first
step is to remove the old finish. First question: what is the 'best'
chemical stripper to use?

After stripping and sanding to refinish to a 'golden' pine colour to
match the other furniture what stain should I use? From what I have
read, there are water based, oil based and coloured finishes. As I
understand it, water based stains will raise the grain and require
sanding after application. I also understand that pine is not 'easy'
to stain evenly so should I use a 'sealer' before staining?

Finally what is the 'best' finishing medium. Lacquer, polyurethane
(water based or oil based?)?

If there is a web site that covers this subject I would appreciate an
address.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
I need to refinish a pine desk. The original finish is somewhat worn
plus scratches and all the normal wear and tear. I guess the first
step is to remove the old finish. First question: what is the 'best'
chemical stripper to use?

After stripping and sanding to refinish to a 'golden' pine colour to
match the other furniture what stain should I use? From what I have
read, there are water based, oil based and coloured finishes. As I
understand it, water based stains will raise the grain and require
sanding after application. I also understand that pine is not 'easy'
to stain evenly so should I use a 'sealer' before staining?

Finally what is the 'best' finishing medium. Lacquer, polyurethane
(water based or oil based?)?

If there is a web site that covers this subject I would appreciate an
address.

All depends what the original finish is. Modern finishes, like
polyurethane, can usually be sanded and re-finished without resorting to
strippers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
I need to refinish a pine desk. The original finish is somewhat worn
plus scratches and all the normal wear and tear. I guess the first
step is to remove the old finish. First question: what is the 'best'
chemical stripper to use?

Why chemical stripper. Is it seriously gouged! Elbow grease ( and
sandpaper) would be my first thought - as I notice that Stuart is also
suggesting.

Snip