Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decent web cam for poking in holes

Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://tinyurl.com/25tsrg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

When I needed to investigate a wasps nest, I bought a camera from Maplin
and illuminated it with a car headlight bulb

The distance was too great for a webcam (i.e. USB), It was powered from
the 12V battery and I used a portable TV to watch it on

Something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=20927&doy=8m2

CPC has similar

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
.. .

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://tinyurl.com/25tsrg

This one has a better resolution but doesn't have IR,I suppose you could
attach a bright led on the front of the shaft?
http://tinyurl.com/2986nr

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John Rumm
writes
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

When I needed to investigate a wasps nest, I bought a camera from Maplin
and illuminated it with a car headlight bulb

The distance was too great for a webcam (i.e. USB), It was powered from
the 12V battery and I used a portable TV to watch it on

Something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=20927&doy=8m2

CPC has similar

--
geoff

£17 incl P&P on ebay how much was yours?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John Rumm
writes
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

When I needed to investigate a wasps nest, I bought a camera from Maplin
and illuminated it with a car headlight bulb

The distance was too great for a webcam (i.e. USB), It was powered from
the 12V battery and I used a portable TV to watch it on

Something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=20927&doy=8m2

CPC has similar

--
geoff

There ya go Geoff,wireless as well. ;-)
http://tinyurl.com/3xpeje

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , George
writes
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

http://tinyurl.com/25tsrg

Ugh! "Pls note: This item 6leds working. So the price more expensive
than leds not working one. This item lux very lower lower than 0.5
lux..closer 0 lux it can work at totally dark.Day color night infrared
B/W camera."

Despatched from an interestingly named place in HK called Shatin.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , George
writes
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

http://tinyurl.com/25tsrg

Ugh! "Pls note: This item 6leds working. So the price more expensive
than leds not working one. This item lux very lower lower than 0.5
lux..closer 0 lux it can work at totally dark.Day color night infrared
B/W camera."

Despatched from an interestingly named place in HK called Shatin.

--
Si

If you're worried about where its coming from? don't as they do
deliver...thats why I have three. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , George
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John Rumm
writes
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

When I needed to investigate a wasps nest, I bought a camera from Maplin
and illuminated it with a car headlight bulb

The distance was too great for a webcam (i.e. USB), It was powered from
the 12V battery and I used a portable TV to watch it on

Something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=20927&doy=8m2

CPC has similar

--
geoff

£17 incl P&P on ebay how much was yours?

Prolly about £30, who cares - I wanted one immediately, and Maplin is
about 5 minutes walk

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , George
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John Rumm
writes
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

When I needed to investigate a wasps nest, I bought a camera from Maplin
and illuminated it with a car headlight bulb

The distance was too great for a webcam (i.e. USB), It was powered from
the 12V battery and I used a portable TV to watch it on

Something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=20927&doy=8m2

CPC has similar

--
geoff

There ya go Geoff,wireless as well. ;-)
http://tinyurl.com/3xpeje

Pah - got one of those as well

I got it from CPC several years ago - I just couldn't find it, when I
needed it
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Si wrote:
In message , George
writes
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into
ceiling voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable
routes etc.? Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR
illumination would be ideal.

http://tinyurl.com/25tsrg

Ugh! "Pls note: This item 6leds working. So the price more expensive
than leds not working one. This item lux very lower lower than 0.5
lux..closer 0 lux it can work at totally dark.Day color night infrared
B/W camera."

Despatched from an interestingly named place in HK called Shatin.

"Nights in white Shatin.... "

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

http://www.dansdata.com/pencamera.htm

There were some on ebay last week, from a scandanavian seller.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Despatched from an interestingly named place in HK called Shatin.

"Nights in white Shatin.... "

One imagines "shatin" would be a shade of brown... ;-)
--
Kenny
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Rumm see.my.signa
writes
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

I have one of these in my bits box:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Computer+...rds+&+Peripher
als/UNBRANDED/24-0105/displayProduct.jsp?sku=CS14082

(or search on CS14082 on www.cpc.co.uk)

It has white LED illumination, not IR. The level of lighting is
automatic - LEDs off in a lit room, full brightness in darkness. There
are 6 LEDs and the level of light they provide is surprisingly high.

The picture produced is a bit crap for use as a desktop webcam but would
be fine for the purpose you want. USB connection. It's also very small
(appx. 1.5" square) and light.

I no longer want mine - you can have it for the cost of postage if you
like.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
(='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

http://www.dansdata.com/pencamera.htm

There were some on ebay last week, from a scandanavian seller.

What a fantastic-looking bit of kit! If it was December that would
definitely be in my Xmas list. Here's the ebay link FWIW although there
are none listed at present. Not sure how comfortable I'd be parting
company with cash to a relatively newbie overseas ebay seller either.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ETime-Home-Endoscope-USB-Pen-Microscope_W0QQitemZ160204152851QQihZ006QQcategory Z30921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:19:55 +0000, Si wrote:

snip

Despatched from an interestingly named place in HK called Shatin.

You really aren't going to believe this...
The company I work for designed a control panel for Shatin sewage works.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mick" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:19:55 +0000, Si wrote:

snip

Despatched from an interestingly named place in HK called Shatin.

You really aren't going to believe this...
The company I work for designed a control panel for Shatin sewage works.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net

Do they have sewage works in Hong Pong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

The picture produced is a bit crap for use as a desktop webcam but would
be fine for the purpose you want. USB connection. It's also very small
(appx. 1.5" square) and light.

What is the smallest hole you can get it through? Sounds like 1.5" might
be a bit on the large side for the apps I have in mind.

I no longer want mine - you can have it for the cost of postage if you
like.

A kind offer thanks!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

How about this

http://tinyurl.com/2xoxrm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

How about this

http://tinyurl.com/2xoxrm

Yup, something with an overall cost in the ballpark of the postage on
that would be good! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked into ceiling
voids etc for the purposes of establishing pipe and cable routes etc.?

Small form factor, good low light sensitivity and some IR illumination
would be ideal.

Does it have to be a *web* cam (implying connection to a computer) or would
something be ok which you connect to a TV?

If TV is ok, you might consider one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=CCTV&doy=11m2

We have one inside a nesting box - but there's no reason why it wouldn't do
what you want. When there's decent lighting, you get a colour picture. When
it's dark, the IR LEDs switch on and you get a B&W picture. It's powered
from a wallwart, through an additional wire in the signal cable. The camera
is (manually) focusable from a few inches to infinity.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

You could have had a wireless one for that. :-)
http://tinyurl.com/27feg5

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

If TV is ok, you might consider one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=CCTV&doy=11m2

We have one inside a nesting box - but there's no reason why it
wouldn't do what you want. When there's decent lighting, you get a
colour picture. When it's dark, the IR LEDs switch on and you get a
B&W picture. It's powered from a wallwart, through an additional
wire in the signal cable. The camera is (manually) focusable from a
few inches to infinity.

You could have had a wireless one for that. :-)
http://tinyurl.com/27feg5

Except that you've *still* got to power the camera! (which requires either
wires or endless battery changes).
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

[...]

True but as one of my cameras is upstairs pointing out of the backroom
window into the yard and the PC is downstairs in the front room, that would
be a helluva lot of cable to the PC dont you think. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

[...]

Maybe - except that these cameras don't connect to a PC, they connect to a
TV. And I was really answering in the context of using it in a nesting box -
where you've really got to run power to the box in some form or another, so
might as well use a wired camera.

Mine actually feeds a portable TV very close to where the cable comes
through the wall of a bedroom, and I can also use it with wireless video
senders to display the picture on the main TV downstairs.

But this is all getting a bit OT with respect to the original question! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

[...]

Any camera can be used on a PC using either a TV/Capture card or DSR card.
These cameras work on the TV as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

If TV is ok, you might consider one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=CCTV&doy=11m2

We have one inside a nesting box - but there's no reason why it
wouldn't do what you want. When there's decent lighting, you get a
colour picture. When it's dark, the IR LEDs switch on and you get a
B&W picture. It's powered from a wallwart, through an additional
wire in the signal cable. The camera is (manually) focusable from a
few inches to infinity.

You could have had a wireless one for that. :-)
http://tinyurl.com/27feg5

Except that you've *still* got to power the camera! (which requires either
wires or endless battery changes).

They are low powered so a B&Q wind turbine should do the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Has anyone found a decent small web cam that can be poked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvow-YK3Cb4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Any camera can be used on a PC using either a TV/Capture card or DSR
card. These cameras work on the TV as well.

Yes I know, but a cam with a PAL/composite video output isn't *primarily*
intended for computer use in the way that a USB-based web cam is.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Rumm see.my.signa
writes

A kind offer thanks!

If you'd like to take it up, drop me an email.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
(='.'=)