Posted to uk.d-i-y, alt.deposit

Default Geyser overflow valve broken?

Here's an unfortunate problem! I've been wondering why water
consumption has been so high. I noticed that the geyser overflow pipe
was draining directly into the gutter, pretty well continuously - it
must have been doing this for some time.

When I turn off the supply to the geyser it stops. I thought it might
be some sort of siphon effect, so I tried leaving the hot tap on to
clear the pipe, but, when I turn the geyser tap on, out comes the
water again.

It looks as if the emergency overflow valve is stuck in the 'open'
position. How does this happen? How do these things work? Is there a
way of closing it or do I have to get a new one?

If I have to get a new one, how difficult are they to fit? It's an
awkward space, I can see that, but, if it was just a matter of a
spanner in the right place it might not be too bad.

Any advice gratefully received.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Brooks wrote:
Here's an unfortunate problem! I've been wondering why water
consumption has been so high. I noticed that the geyser overflow pipe
was draining directly into the gutter, pretty well continuously - it
must have been doing this for some time.

I think it would help if you defined "geyser". I presume you mean some sort
of "hot water on demand" device but the make and model would be a big help.

[...]

Any advice gratefully received.

Don't crosspost to wierd groups.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 7:32 pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
Peter Brooks wrote:
Here's an unfortunate problem! I've been wondering why water
consumption has been so high. I noticed that the geyser overflow pipe
was draining directly into the gutter, pretty well continuously - it
must have been doing this for some time.

I think it would help if you defined "geyser". I presume you mean some sort
of "hot water on demand" device but the make and model would be a big help.

It is a hot water heater. That sort of geyser. It is fed by the mains
on a closed-loop basis - that is, it doesn't have a lid open to the
air.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Feb, 20:18, Peter Brooks wrote:
On Feb 6, 7:32 pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote: Peter Brooks wrote:
Here's an unfortunate problem! I've been wondering why water
consumption has been so high. I noticed that the geyser overflow pipe
was draining directly into the gutter, pretty well continuously - it
must have been doing this for some time.

I think it would help if you defined "geyser". *I presume you mean some sort
of "hot water on demand" device but the make and model would be a big help.

It is a hot water heater. That sort of geyser. It is fed by the mains
on a closed-loop basis - that is, it doesn't have a lid open to the
air.

Probably an unvented hot water cylinder then. In view of your apparent
total lack of familiarity and the dangers attendant on getting things
wrong you need competent attention.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Brooks writes:
On Feb 6, 7:32 pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
Peter Brooks wrote:
Here's an unfortunate problem! I've been wondering why water
consumption has been so high. I noticed that the geyser overflow pipe
was draining directly into the gutter, pretty well continuously - it
must have been doing this for some time.

I think it would help if you defined "geyser". I presume you mean some sort
of "hot water on demand" device but the make and model would be a big help.

It is a hot water heater. That sort of geyser. It is fed by the mains
on a closed-loop basis - that is, it doesn't have a lid open to the
air.

Geysers don't have overflow pipes. Need a better description.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote: Peter Brooks wrote:
Here's an unfortunate problem! I've been wondering why water
consumption has been so high. I noticed that the geyser overflow pipe
was draining directly into the gutter, pretty well continuously - it
must have been doing this for some time.

I think it would help if you defined "geyser". I presume you mean some sort
of "hot water on demand" device but the make and model would be a big help.

It is a hot water heater. That sort of geyser. It is fed by the mains
on a closed-loop basis - that is, it doesn't have a lid open to the
air.

Probably an unvented hot water cylinder then. In view of your apparent
total lack of familiarity and the dangers attendant on getting things
wrong you need competent attention.

Yes, you can describe it as an unvented hot water cylinder. It doesn't
look too difficult to replace the valve, which, from the shape of the
brass, looks as if it operates through a diaphram. It would be nice to
know if that is a common set-up or not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 05:38:18 -0800, Peter Brooks wrote:

On Feb 7, 12:04 am, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Geysers don't have overflow pipes. Need a better description.

OK, it's the hot water tank's pressure release valve. It is a closed
system, as I said.

Actually, I've found a nice little kit from a plumber's supply shop that
replaces the valve assembly and has a new diaphram and o-rings.

I've cleaned out the filter that was amazingly full of crud. I'm just
having a little difficulty taking off the cap. It seems remarkably
firmly fixed. Any tips?

Seriously, repairing pressure relief valves on any sort of unvented
system (combi, Megaflow or similar) is not for the inexperienced.
Regular posters know that I support diy. They also know that if you are
at the experience level of naming an unvented cylinder as a "geyser" (and
I still think you might mean a combi boiler) you should leave well alone
for now.

I am astounded that a 'service' kit is available for any sort of pressure
relief device, especially on an unvented cylinder. The usual way is
direct replacement.