Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH thermostat

Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading my CH thermostat to a programmable
thermostat. I was looking at something like the Horstman Centaurstat.

I already have a "basic" Horstmann digital thermostat but when it
switches on or off, there is a big click. Does the centaurstat make a
similarly big click; do all thermostats?

I would like to put a separate thermostat on the upstairs CH but I
don't want a thermostat that will wake me up clicking in the night.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading my CH thermostat to a programmable
thermostat. I was looking at something like the Horstman Centaurstat.

I already have a "basic" Horstmann digital thermostat but when it
switches on or off, there is a big click. Does the centaurstat make a
similarly big click; do all thermostats?

I would like to put a separate thermostat on the upstairs CH but I
don't want a thermostat that will wake me up clicking in the night.

We (now) have one of those remote wireless types and it is absolutely
silent. As it doesn't do the switching, there is absolutely no need for it
to contain a relay - but then nor do most stats. Even the old type which
switched the heating on and off, didn't have a relay - the click was just
the contacts of the stat switching over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading my CH thermostat to a programmable
thermostat. I was looking at something like the Horstman Centaurstat.

I already have a "basic" Horstmann digital thermostat but when it
switches on or off, there is a big click. Does the centaurstat make a
similarly big click; do all thermostats?

I would like to put a separate thermostat on the upstairs CH but I
don't want a thermostat that will wake me up clicking in the night.

Thanks.

Assuming you're not talking about a wireless stat, the stat logic is battery
driven, and it has to have a built-in relay to switch the mains. The relay
may make a click - but it shouldn't be loud enough to wake you up unless you
are either a very light sleeper or you mount it in the middle of a hollow
wall which acts as a sounding board. If this is a problem, mount it on
something solid with a rubber pad behind it - or use a wireless stat whose
actual switching is done remotely.[1]

[1] Probably close to the pump and valves in the airing cupboard. If *these*
wake you up, there ain't a lot you can do!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Fred contains these words:

I am thinking about upgrading my CH thermostat to a programmable
thermostat. I was looking at something like the Horstman Centaurstat.

I already have a "basic" Horstmann digital thermostat but when it
switches on or off, there is a big click. Does the centaurstat make a
similarly big click; do all thermostats?

Yes the Centaurstat does and no, not all thermostats are anywhere near
as loud.

I would like to put a separate thermostat on the upstairs CH but I
don't want a thermostat that will wake me up clicking in the night.

I have mine in my bedroom. It doesn't actually wake me up but I can
sleep through thunderstorms so YMMV.

The downstairs stat is a Danfoss TP75. That is audible but at a
different magnitude to the Horstmann.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 15:20:47 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

I am thinking about upgrading my CH thermostat to a programmable
thermostat. I was looking at something like the Horstman Centaurstat.

I already have a "basic" Horstmann digital thermostat but when it
switches on or off, there is a big click. Does the centaurstat make a
similarly big click; do all thermostats?

Says it has "micro-disconnection changeover" but 8 amp contacts.

So you might get click or CLICK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Probably close to the pump and valves in the airing cupboard. If *these*
wake you up, there ain't a lot you can do!

The pump is nice and quiet. The valves do whir when they switch off.
Only time will tell if that becomes a nuisance. Perhaps the system
should have been designed with them in the kitchen? Too late now, or
could they be fitted to the return pipes? That's more of an academic
question; I doubt they will be a problem with the doors closed.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 17:33:51 GMT, Roger
wrote:

I already have a "basic" Horstmann digital thermostat but when it
switches on or off, there is a big click. Does the centaurstat make a
similarly big click; do all thermostats?

Yes the Centaurstat does and no, not all thermostats are anywhere near
as loud.

Thanks. I have used Horstmann products so far, partly because they
were relatively cheap and readily available from my local Screwfix
counter. I was saying in another post that the valves whir when they
close. Are other makes quieter? I don't think the whir will be a
problem with the airing cupboard door closed but the click of the
'stat might be. What make do you recommend for a quieter click, and
why are Horstmann so much noisier?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Probably close to the pump and valves in the airing cupboard. If
*these* wake you up, there ain't a lot you can do!

The pump is nice and quiet. The valves do whir when they switch off.
Only time will tell if that becomes a nuisance. Perhaps the system
should have been designed with them in the kitchen? Too late now, or
could they be fitted to the return pipes? That's more of an academic
question; I doubt they will be a problem with the doors closed.

Thanks.

The whirring is from the gearbox. The motor drives the valve through a very
high reduction gearbox. When the valve closes, using the spring return, the
gearbox then becomes a high ratio step-up jobby, driving the motor round at
a fair rate of knots.

Whilst you *could* put the valves on the return side, it is far more usual
to do as you have done, and to have them on the flow side immediately after
the pump.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Thermostat that goes down to 32F? [email protected] Home Repair 24 December 7th 20 03:41 PM
Help with an old thermostat [email protected] Home Repair 5 April 8th 07 02:35 AM
Thermostat Steven Home Repair 27 February 16th 07 01:24 PM
thermostat Robert Home Repair 5 July 21st 06 04:28 PM
Which Thermostat is Best Opinion Seeker Home Repair 0 October 23rd 05 02:37 PM