Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default He's got some balls that bloke

In message , John
writes

"Lobster" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"George" writes:
I had a mate who was once a roofer,now he's stuck on terra firma with
one
leg shorter than the other.

Would have thought that could be an advantage to a roofer.
I always wondered if mountain goats had two legs longer
than the others.

Like a haggis, ISTR?

You've been on a haggis shoot aswell!

I thought haggises (haggi?) had three legs.

They must be terrorists these days as they're prohibited from entering
the USA in their prepared form. See http://tinyurl.com/2jkn9a

John

--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are plenty of people go through A&E with broken or twisted ankles
after stepping of curbs at the wrong angle...

Indeed, I went parachuting one weekend, even looked on as they carried one
woman to an ambulance with a fairly serious leg injury, then hopped in the
plane and fell 5,000ft no problems at all. The following Saturday I was on
Dartmoor, when I slipped off a rock less than a foot high, ended up using a
tent pole as a walking stick, to get the several painful miles to a road,
found out on the Monday at hospital that I had broken my ankle, I guess the
black/purple bruising should have given me a clue!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer writes:

Of course your rate of fall may vary depending on, well, your weight!...

Not according to Newton.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
tony sayer writes:

Of course your rate of fall may vary depending on, well, your weight!...

Not according to Newton.

LoL - but the effect on your body of interfacing with the ground will
do.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
scribeth thus
In article ,
tony sayer writes:

Of course your rate of fall may vary depending on, well, your weight!...

Not according to Newton.

No but he wasn't restrained...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default He's got some balls that bloke - shoes?

In message , Bill
writes
In message , "George (dicegeorge)"
writes
more balls than brains...

what kind of shoes are best for working on slate roofs?

I once had a pair of trainer like shoes that were golf related, they
had little rubber bits on the bottom, similar to spikes. You could
almost walk up walls with them. Fine on wet surfaces too.

They sound like *deck shoes* intended for yachtsmen. Good grip without
damaging the varnish.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-29 22:34:02 +0000, Lobster said:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"George" writes:
I had a mate who was once a roofer,now he's stuck on terra firma with one
leg shorter than the other.

Would have thought that could be an advantage to a roofer.
I always wondered if mountain goats had two legs longer
than the others.

Like a haggis, ISTR?

David

... or wellingtons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"George" wrote in message
.uk...
Top of the street an aerial erector just erected an aerial and has just
walked down the slope of the roof to the ridge of the roof to take a
coil of
aerial cable offa his mate at the top of the ladder.

No roof ladder and its raining.

Thought I had balls but he takes the biscuit.

But how often hzve you walked up and down on hill slopes of the same
angle?

I worry when I'm on a tower and cling to a central point, well away from
the edge. But I don't worry when standing on a kerb.

Humans are irrational.

I know what you mean but don't think that's the right scenario... you
could fall off your tower and kill yourself but falling off a kerb won't
do you much damage.

However, consider walking along a 4"-wide plank lying on or positioned a
couple of inches off the ground: most people could happily walk along that
for miles without the slightest risk of falling off. But suspend it 100
feet up in the air, and most people would be in a blind panic about
walking along it for a few yards. I know I would!

That seems to me to be exactly the same scenario :-)

Mary

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"George \(dicegeorge\)" writes:
more balls than brains...

what kind of shoes are best for working on slate roofs?

Wellies are soft and spread the load
but are there some that grip better?

I used trainers, but I didn't go up until the sun had
dried off the overnight dew -- it was too slippery.
I had a scaffold platform about 3 feet below the gutter
line, so I wouldn't have fallen far.

I found falling was not the problem, just every half dozen steps there
would be a crack and another tile would break. Spent most of the time
fixing busted tiles! I think the roof was trying to tell me something!

Falling still would not be the problem its the hitting the ground that hurts

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 29, 3:50*pm, "George" wrote:
Top of the street an aerial erector just erected an aerial and has just
walked down the slope of the roof to the ridge of the roof

He walked *down* the slope to the *ridge*?

Was the architects name Escher?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , tony sayer
writes

However on telecoms and TV masts another matter entirely..

Though in 30 odd years never known anyone to have suffered that...

I had a guy catch fire 100' up a tower once! Harness didn't help but an
extinguisher would have been handy!

--
Bill

He should have prayed for rain. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan, 17:02, wrote:

I knew someone who fell from 750feet (before the days of harnesses) The
people in the hospital didn't believe him. He'd landed on another aerial 30
feet lower and bent it. His firm got the bill for the repairs.

A guuy fell off the 42nd floor of some Trump building in New York
recently.
He survived by hitting the 40th floor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Bill
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes

However on telecoms and TV masts another matter entirely..

Though in 30 odd years never known anyone to have suffered that...

I had a guy catch fire 100' up a tower once! Harness didn't help but an
extinguisher would have been handy!

TX wasn't powered up when he was working on it?...

No, he didn't notice where the sparks from his angle grinder were going!

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

They sound like *deck shoes* intended for yachtsmen. Good grip without
damaging the varnish.

regards

Deck shoes typically have a flat rubber sole with "razor cuts" in them.

It already occurred to my that my dinghy boots would be a good choice
next time I'm up there!

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:03:40 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:

A guuy fell off the 42nd floor of some Trump building in New York
recently. He survived by hitting the 40th floor.

Bloody amazing!.. where did that happen then?..

Read what is written, I didn't the first time either... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message

However, consider walking along a 4"-wide plank lying on or positioned a
couple of inches off the ground: most people could happily walk along that
for miles without the slightest risk of falling off. But suspend it 100
feet up in the air, and most people would be in a blind panic about
walking along it for a few yards. I know I would!

David

Yes, this is the same psychology at work in climbing.

Leading a route with several meters of runout and a serious chance of
decking it if any of your gear unzips is a *totally* different prospect to
doing the same route solidly protected from a tree-based belay from above.

The moves are the same, the climb is no more difficult.

But the consequence of screwing it up are substantially significantly more
serious. And it has a profound effect on what you will attempt.

--
Ron, a 'Dope on a Rope' from time to time...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mick wrote:

I used to work with a bloke who went free-climbing for fun. He told me
that fear is only relative. Once you get over the hurdle of realising
that if you slip you're dead, it gets much easier and you can just get
down to the real business of enjoying yourself. Indeed, the real fear is
at the beginning of the climb - that you'll fall from too low a height
and get seriously injured!

Bit like Dan Osman (before he cocked up a rope jump and went spat),
incredible to watch:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:30:24 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

I knew someone who fell from 750feet (before the days of harnesses) The
people in the hospital didn't believe him. He'd landed on another
aerial 30 feet lower and bent it.

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:03:40 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:

A guuy fell off the 42nd floor of some Trump building in New York
recently. He survived by hitting the 40th floor.

Bloody amazing!.. where did that happen then?..

Read what is written, I didn't the first time either... B-)

I think that got cocked up .. I meant from the aerial mast?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:02:10 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

mick wrote:

I used to work with a bloke who went free-climbing for fun. He told me
that fear is only relative. Once you get over the hurdle of realising
that if you slip you're dead, it gets much easier and you can just get
down to the real business of enjoying yourself. Indeed, the real fear
is at the beginning of the climb - that you'll fall from too low a
height and get seriously injured!

Bit like Dan Osman (before he cocked up a rope jump and went spat),
incredible to watch:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...42618169&q=don

+osman&total=51&start=0&num=50&so=0&type=search&pl index=1

and http://www.spike.com/video/2773608?ns=1

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:30:24 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

I knew someone who fell from 750feet (before the days of harnesses) The
people in the hospital didn't believe him. He'd landed on another
aerial 30 feet lower and bent it.

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:03:40 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:

A guuy fell off the 42nd floor of some Trump building in New York
recently. He survived by hitting the 40th floor.

Bloody amazing!.. where did that happen then?..

Read what is written, I didn't the first time either... B-)

you've managed to mangle two separate articles into one. Tony didn't
respond to Andy's post with that comment.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , somebody
scribeth thus
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
tony sayer writes:
Quite a few riggers now will have a simple harness to be hooked onto the
roof ladder.. Just in case .. and as one man working is the norm you
could be writhing around on the ground for quite sometime before anyone
would notice!...

Harnesses are not necessarily saviour -- particularly one man working.
Look up suspension trauma.

I thought that modern fall arrest devices had progressive braking on
them (a bit like car seatbelt pretensioners)? Aren't they supposed to
overcome the injury which could be caused by the sudden stop in a
harness?

I don't work in the field, but I'm sure someone who does could be more
specific?
Someone

Yes they do that they have a bit that comprises of a long lump of
webbing which is stitched together and the weight of the falling body
tears this apart.

Of course your rate of fall may vary depending on, well, your weight!...

Not in this universe

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Of course your rate of fall may vary depending on, well, your weight!...

Not in this universe

Would you accept your rate of fall depends on, among other things, your
weight?

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:38:57 +0000, Si wrote:

you've managed to mangle two separate articles into one.

It's called copy 'n paste and count the 's. My comment applies to the
"Bloody amazing!.. where did that happen then?.." one needs to read the
double quoted sections properly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I knew someone who fell from 750feet (before the days of harnesses)
The people in the hospital didn't believe him. He'd landed on another
aerial 30 feet lower and bent it.

I think that got cocked up .. I meant from the aerial mast?..

No, you still need to read what is written.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Clive George
writes
"geoff" wrote in message

Of course your rate of fall may vary depending on, well, your weight!...

Not in this universe

Would you accept your rate of fall depends on, among other things, your

weight?

mass ...

Weight, actually...

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:05:12 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

Of course your rate of fall may vary depending on, well, your weight!...

I've a couple of those stitched lanyard fall arresters and they're
labelled for different weights with sufficient precision that skinny
women need to be attached to the odd one, not the usual pair for
hairy-arsed lardbucket chippies like me.

And of course your rate of fall depeds on your weight. The whole point
of these things is that you're no longer falling freely, so Galilleo's
equally falling balls aren't applicable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , somebody
scribeth thus
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
tony sayer writes:
[...]

Lets put that another way the rate of it being ripped would depend on
the weight and speed of the body it was restraining..

i.e. my 18 odd stone is likely to rip it differently to someone who's
say 7 stone..

That do...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
I knew someone who fell from 750feet (before the days of harnesses)
The people in the hospital didn't believe him. He'd landed on another
aerial 30 feet lower and bent it.

I think that got cocked up .. I meant from the aerial mast?..

No, you still need to read what is written.

Yes I have .. its obvious that it was off some mast or possibly
building?..

Just curious as to where...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

They sound like *deck shoes* intended for yachtsmen. Good grip without
damaging the varnish.

regards

Deck shoes typically have a flat rubber sole with "razor cuts" in them.

It already occurred to my that my dinghy boots would be a good choice
next time I'm up there!

Andy

I wonder if a car tyre sole would make great grip. People sometimes
resole shoes with a piece of car tyre.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 09:43, wrote:

I wonder if a car tyre sole would make great grip.

No. Car tyres are designed for a ton of car at 70mph. That needs a
harder rubber, which compromises the grip they deliver. They're not
good at grip, in comparison to shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 31 Jan, 09:43, wrote:

I wonder if a car tyre sole would make great grip.

No. Car tyres are designed for a ton of car at 70mph. That needs a
harder rubber, which compromises the grip they deliver. They're not
good at grip, in comparison to shoes.

Yeah - I guess the user would have to run round the site at 70mph
for a few minutes before using them

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive George
writes
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Clive George
writes
"geoff" wrote in message

Of course your rate of fall may vary depending on, well, your weight!...

Not in this universe

Would you accept your rate of fall depends on, among other things, your

weight?

mass ...

Weight, actually...

mass is an intrinsic property of a body

weight is the effect of acceleration due to gravity on that mass

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:46:28 -0000, a particular chimpanzee, "Mary
Fisher" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I worry when I'm on a tower and cling to a central point, well away from the
edge. But I don't worry when standing on a kerb.

There have been nights when I couldn't lie on a pavement without
holding on.
--
Hugo Nebula (who's never heard of Dean Martin)
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

PING; The bloke who knows all about wood preservers. The Medway Handyman UK diy 6 November 25th 07 07:34 PM
Balls Cliff Metalworking 56 January 20th 06 01:04 AM
Seen some bloke... ben UK diy 0 September 22nd 05 05:56 PM
More about underfloor heating - FAO That Bloke mainly Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 0 August 15th 05 06:41 PM