Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wooden garden room/chalet?

All,

We would love a guest bedroom but extending the house would be tricky (and
expensive). Someone suggested looking into buying one of those wooden
chalets that people are using for offices etc. in their back gardens.

So, anyone who's looked into these care to recommend some manufacturers and
ranges? What we're thinking of is just a small bedroom, toilet, maybe
shower.

Thanks,
Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
All,

We would love a guest bedroom but extending the house would be tricky (and
expensive). Someone suggested looking into buying one of those wooden
chalets that people are using for offices etc. in their back gardens.

So, anyone who's looked into these care to recommend some manufacturers
and ranges? What we're thinking of is just a small bedroom, toilet, maybe
shower.

Thanks,
Paul DS.

Making a habitable building in your garden would undoubtedly require
planning permission. Now, whether you bother or not is up to you but, if you
don't get permission it would leave the door open for a neighbour to
complain and enforcement action to be taken. I'm not sure but I *think* such
extra habitable buildings would be frowned upon. I should say my next door
neighbour has one (and I haven't complained!).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

....snip...

Making a habitable building in your garden would undoubtedly require
planning permission. Now, whether you bother or not is up to you but, if
you don't get permission it would leave the door open for a neighbour to
complain and enforcement action to be taken. I'm not sure but I *think*
such extra habitable buildings would be frowned upon. I should say my next
door neighbour has one (and I haven't complained!).

Umm, thanks for the warning. Something more for me to investigate ;-).

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
...snip...

Making a habitable building in your garden would undoubtedly require
planning permission. Now, whether you bother or not is up to you but, if
you don't get permission it would leave the door open for a neighbour to
complain and enforcement action to be taken. I'm not sure but I *think*
such extra habitable buildings would be frowned upon. I should say my
next door neighbour has one (and I haven't complained!).

Umm, thanks for the warning. Something more for me to investigate ;-).

You would probably get away with a well insulated chalet with power that you
put an airbed in (say) when you wanted to use it. You seemed to be talking
about much more, with shower, toilet etc - you could never pretend that was
a summer house!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:49:27 +0000, Paul D.Smith wrote:

All,

We would love a guest bedroom but extending the house would be tricky (and
expensive). Someone suggested looking into buying one of those wooden
chalets that people are using for offices etc. in their back gardens.

So, anyone who's looked into these care to recommend some manufacturers
and ranges? What we're thinking of is just a small bedroom, toilet, maybe
shower.

Thanks,
Paul DS.

==================================
You could put in a caravan of almost any size provided that it's
'mobile'. You could also lay the necessary water / drains / electricity
conveniently close to your mobile caravan. There are rules governing such
practices but much less stringent than rules for permanent buildings.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul D.Smith wrote:
...snip...

Making a habitable building in your garden would undoubtedly require
planning permission. Now, whether you bother or not is up to you but, if
you don't get permission it would leave the door open for a neighbour to
complain and enforcement action to be taken. I'm not sure but I *think*
such extra habitable buildings would be frowned upon. I should say my next
door neighbour has one (and I haven't complained!).

Umm, thanks for the warning. Something more for me to investigate ;-).

Paul DS

Plenty of companies offer the usual leisure room/studio/gym type
buildings, but none seems to include plumbing. I guess that's the thing
that would make them habitable and class them as extensions rather than
"sheds".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
...snip...

Making a habitable building in your garden would undoubtedly require
planning permission. Now, whether you bother or not is up to you but, if
you don't get permission it would leave the door open for a neighbour to
complain and enforcement action to be taken. I'm not sure but I *think*
such extra habitable buildings would be frowned upon. I should say my
next door neighbour has one (and I haven't complained!).

Umm, thanks for the warning. Something more for me to investigate ;-).

You would probably get away with a well insulated chalet with power that
you put an airbed in (say) when you wanted to use it. You seemed to be
talking about much more, with shower, toilet etc - you could never pretend
that was a summer house!

From talking to the local council, it seems that such things count as any
other "extension" might and therefore fall under, or not, permitted
development rights. For most people this might be OK but since I already
have an extension on my home (added by the previous owners) I'll probably
breach the 70m3 total limit which will take me into planning application
territory.

That doesn't rule it out but it does give me something else to think about
;-).

However, getting back to the original question, anyone recommend some
suppliers etc? I'm really only looking for examples of the sorts of
buildings available (i.e. pictures to look at!) etc. at this point.

Thanks,
Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
...snip...

Making a habitable building in your garden would undoubtedly require
planning permission. Now, whether you bother or not is up to you but,
if you don't get permission it would leave the door open for a
neighbour to complain and enforcement action to be taken. I'm not sure
but I *think* such extra habitable buildings would be frowned upon. I
should say my next door neighbour has one (and I haven't complained!).

Umm, thanks for the warning. Something more for me to investigate ;-).

You would probably get away with a well insulated chalet with power that
you put an airbed in (say) when you wanted to use it. You seemed to be
talking about much more, with shower, toilet etc - you could never
pretend that was a summer house!

From talking to the local council, it seems that such things count as any
other "extension" might and therefore fall under, or not, permitted
development rights. For most people this might be OK but since I already
have an extension on my home (added by the previous owners) I'll probably
breach the 70m3 total limit which will take me into planning application
territory.

That doesn't rule it out but it does give me something else to think about
;-).

However, getting back to the original question, anyone recommend some
suppliers etc? I'm really only looking for examples of the sorts of
buildings available (i.e. pictures to look at!) etc. at this point.

FinnForest do a fairly large range:
http://www.finnforest.co.uk/default....;410;791;13469

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
...snip...

Making a habitable building in your garden would undoubtedly require
planning permission. Now, whether you bother or not is up to you but,
if you don't get permission it would leave the door open for a
neighbour to complain and enforcement action to be taken. I'm not sure
but I *think* such extra habitable buildings would be frowned upon. I
should say my next door neighbour has one (and I haven't complained!).

Umm, thanks for the warning. Something more for me to investigate ;-).

You would probably get away with a well insulated chalet with power that
you put an airbed in (say) when you wanted to use it. You seemed to be
talking about much more, with shower, toilet etc - you could never
pretend that was a summer house!

From talking to the local council, it seems that such things count as any
other "extension" might and therefore fall under, or not, permitted
development rights. For most people this might be OK but since I already
have an extension on my home (added by the previous owners) I'll probably
breach the 70m3 total limit which will take me into planning application
territory.

That doesn't rule it out but it does give me something else to think
about ;-).

However, getting back to the original question, anyone recommend some
suppliers etc? I'm really only looking for examples of the sorts of
buildings available (i.e. pictures to look at!) etc. at this point.

FinnForest do a fairly large range:
http://www.finnforest.co.uk/default....;410;791;13469

Also a company I have used (possibly cheaper):

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk

You would probably be looking at drylining the interior with celotex and
boarding as well to get the insulation required. A "home office" sounds
ideal as you could make it fairly comfortable and useful and use it as a
bedroom occasionally.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
[...]

There is habitable and habitable.

Its a grey area.

If you lay in water, toilet, power, its habitable all right.

If it happens to be cosy with a woodburner, no water and an extension
lead for power,it probably isn't 'habitable'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

If it happens to be cosy with a woodburner, no water and an extension
lead for power,it probably isn't 'habitable'

Any appliance requiring a chimney being installed in a structure would
need permisision in many areas. On the other hand water and power
wouldn't lead to any such requirement. Connection of a toilet to a
sewer would, though.

Air vent in wooden garden decking Shug UK diy 6 November 27th 07 10:03 PM
Garden Room wattie UK diy 8 May 9th 05 03:01 PM
Wooden garden fence [email protected] Woodworking 7 March 28th 05 07:58 PM
INSPIRATION - Log Dog Chalet J T Woodworking 0 January 10th 05 08:54 AM
Cheap Garden Room mich UK diy 2 November 30th 03 03:59 PM