Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing shed roof: Something better than felt?

Hi,

My 10 year old shed has a leaking felt roof. I've already refelted it once
a few years ago.

What I am looking for is a more robust roofing option that will last at
least as long as the shed itself.

I have seen an interlocking "tile effect" plastic sheeting system used on
the roofs of mobile homes. (aesthetically less ugly than corrugated
plastic)

Anybody know who manufactures this/what it's called?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Vortex3" writes:
Hi,

My 10 year old shed has a leaking felt roof. I've already refelted it once
a few years ago.

What I am looking for is a more robust roofing option that will last at
least as long as the shed itself.

Real roofing felt will. Shed roofing felt seems to
be designed to disintegrate every couple of years.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:28:06 +0000, Vortex3 wrote:

Hi,

My 10 year old shed has a leaking felt roof. I've already refelted it
once a few years ago.

What I am looking for is a more robust roofing option that will last at
least as long as the shed itself.

I have seen an interlocking "tile effect" plastic sheeting system used on
the roofs of mobile homes. (aesthetically less ugly than corrugated
plastic)

Anybody know who manufactures this/what it's called?

David

===================================
I think it's called 'Decra'.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jan, 15:04, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
"Vortex3" writes:

Hi,

My 10 year old shed has a leaking felt roof. I've already refelted it once
a few years ago.

What I am looking for is a more robust roofing option that will last at
least as long as the shed itself.

Real roofing felt will. Shed roofing felt seems to
be designed to disintegrate every couple of years.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I'll back that up - did mine properly 15 years ago and it's going
strong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

===================================
I think it's called 'Decra'.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks.

Tomorrow I'll research cost/m^2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jan, 16:38, "Vortex3" wrote:
===================================
I think it's called 'Decra'.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

EXACTLY what I was looking for. *Thanks.

Tomorrow I'll research cost/m^2.

How about grass. Roof needs to be solid. Put a lip to stop the turf
sliding off. Layer of plastic then a dusting of topsoil, then turf on
top of this. Quite common on the continent but we are catching up over
here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:35:12 -0800, nafuk wrote:

How about grass. Roof needs to be solid. Put a lip to stop the turf
sliding off. Layer of plastic then a dusting of topsoil, then turf on
top of this. Quite common on the continent but we are catching up over
here.

You need a *very* solid roof (and a rigid shed) to do that. Even with
thin turf as above it weighs a fair bit.

I've seen a thin layer of 50:50 compost and vermiculite suggested before,
which is enough to grow vigorous alpines and much lighter than turf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex3" wrote:
Hi,

My 10 year old shed has a leaking felt roof. I've already refelted it
once a few years ago.

You probably used cheap shed felt, which is only really suitable for rabbit
hutches. I use heavy duty shed felt, which you can buy from any shed
manufacturing company, and which lasts at least 15 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:28:06 -0000, Vortex3 wrote:

What I am looking for is a more robust roofing option that will last at
least as long as the shed itself.

I've used ordinary Marley shed roofing felt and only had to replace it
'cause the shed blew over:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

That is still looking good and we get rather more extreme weather than
most people, yesterday afternoon was a fairly steady 40mph + wind with
gusts to the low 50's mph. The felt is not stuck down, just clout nails
every 2" maybe a tad closer along all exposed edges and about every 4" on
the edges that are covered. No tree cover so this roof gets full summer
sunshine as well.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail