DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/229000-solar-heating-wind-power-solar-power-uk-grants.html)

Tony Bryer January 9th 08 12:06 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:28:39 +0000 Peter Parry wrote :
Oh dear, there we go again with the propaganda. The only thing I'm
anti is the dishonesty of the greenwashers.

A single solar panel collects about 1MWh of energy per year if
ideally placed - that's real data collected for the DTI. The gas
to produce a similar amount of energy cost somewhat less than £40
at current prices.

But the cost of additional panels does not double the installation
cost. There probably is an economic rationale for installing solar
panels where you have a family house with 4+ occupants and where mains
gas is not available. My place (single occupancy, condensing combi)
has a roof ideally suited to a solar panel. According to SAP2005 and
doubling the notional fuel cost of 1.73p/kWh, a 2m2 panel would save
me about £20p.a. Needless to say, it's not on the to-do list.

But nearly every week I talk to people who have come up against the
'Merton Rule' which requires new developments of any size to show that
10% of energy comes from renewables - so solar panels are the usual
way round, although on flats it makes little sense to do this. This
requirement is imposed by planner, not Building Regs. Spending the
money on (say) triple glazing would not be acceptable. And this is not
NuLab at work: councils of all persuasions have fallen over themselves
to copy Merton.

Tony Bryer January 9th 08 12:06 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:37:40 GMT Skipweasel wrote :
Does everyone else have their heating off over night? I used to think
this was fairly normal, but looking out over the rooftops on a not
particularly cold night recently I noticed that many houses still had
plumes from their chimneys. Now, if they were houses with grannies
in, I could probably understand it, but several of them I know have
families with a couple of fit adults and a few school age kids.

I confess to having mine at 17 overnight, which actually means that it
only comes on on the coldest nights being a reasonably insulated
already-warm room. But I've got split-zone heating so the living room
end of the place is unheated.

Skipweasel January 9th 08 12:17 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net says...
We have to save there...electricity bill is still horrendous what with
all the computers, some 24/7...!

I've fitted some switches so I can turn everything off, even those
things that would be on standby. I suspect Virgin Media don't like it
'cos they can't run updates at night, but stuff'em, I'm not leaving the
set top box and modem on all the time, they draw too much.
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Skipweasel January 9th 08 12:17 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

In article et,
says...
As for people leaving the heating on, I think you are over estimating the
abilty of many to understand how heating systems work.

See comment about solar gain in houses!

Skipweasel January 9th 08 12:18 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

In article et,
says...
Where did I put my plug in power meter...

Probably with my heat guns and the rubble sacks. And my power meter.

Bob Eager January 9th 08 12:18 PM

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:17:20 UTC, Skipweasel wrote:

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net says...
We have to save there...electricity bill is still horrendous what with
all the computers, some 24/7...!

I've fitted some switches so I can turn everything off, even those
things that would be on standby.

I don't leave anything on standby. But the firewall, mail server, PBX
etc. have to stay on.

http://www.diybanter.com

Skipweasel January 9th 08 12:22 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

In article ,
says...
I confess to having mine at 17 overnight, which actually means that it
only comes on on the coldest nights being a reasonably insulated
already-warm room.

We must be made of sterner stuff - when I said ours was off overnight I
wasn't quite accurate. It falls back to 7°C over night, though I've
never heard it come on even on the coldest night.

Dave Liquorice January 9th 08 02:52 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On 9 Jan 2008 11:37:56 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Aye, I'm thinking of replacing the ones here with mini ATX based
things.

Did you mean mini ITX?

Yes, the current machines that are perfectly useable are 1GHz Athlons.
It's a a while since I looked at ITX based stuff so I expect I can get
something at double the speed and 1/4 the power requirement.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

John Rumm January 9th 08 03:05 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Just think. No more condensing boilers, no more oil tanks, no more flues
and fumes and flameouts, no bloody great lump of space taken up with a
clanky 18th century device. No more CORGI. No more annual service..

Fine, apart from the point that the air con industry seems to be even
more of a closed shop than CORGI... and don't forget the government CFC
police.

--
Cheers,

John.

Bob Eager January 9th 08 03:44 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 14:52:12 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On 9 Jan 2008 11:37:56 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Aye, I'm thinking of replacing the ones here with mini ATX based
things.

Did you mean mini ITX?

Yes, the current machines that are perfectly useable are 1GHz Athlons.
It's a a while since I looked at ITX based stuff so I expect I can get
something at double the speed and 1/4 the power requirement.

I have:

The 800MHz fanless version of the Eden, for the desktop
The 800MHz fanless Luke CoreFusion, for the firewall
The 1GHz fanned Luke CoreFusion, for the house server

These are all VIA chips on VIA boards, and all work fine. The first is
an XP machine, the other two are FreeBSD.

http://www.diybanter.com

PCPaul January 9th 08 07:38 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:56:03 +0000, Si wrote:

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

Cost benefit analysis shows its cheaper to be single ;-)

Yup, research confirms that men live longer if married so being single
will involve less expenditure due to your earlier demise.

You sure it doesn't just *seem* longer?

Ed Sirett January 9th 08 07:47 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:32:39 +0000, Skipweasel wrote:

I suspect the only way this will change is if house builders start
equipping whole estates at the time of building. The extra cost then
would be considerably less than retrofit systems, with the added
advantage that several hundred houses with identical systems will mean
the local plumbers have some chance to learn what's going on.

What's more the developer's contractor is not going to be paying silly
"greenwash" prices for the kit.

Si[_2_] January 9th 08 07:47 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

In message , PCPaul
writes
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:56:03 +0000, Si wrote:

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

Cost benefit analysis shows its cheaper to be single ;-)

Yup, research confirms that men live longer if married so being single
will involve less expenditure due to your earlier demise.

You sure it doesn't just *seem* longer?

Careful!!! - SWMBOoS! (cf. Monday's Panorama)

--
Si

Roger January 9th 08 08:54 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

The message et
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Does everyone else have their heating off over night?

Not me. :-)

Yes, but principally because of the noise from expanding pipes and rads
wakes us up... Even if it was on the programmable stat would set quite low
(15C in the living room say) for the night period.

But I do have the fall-back temperature set overnight to 13C on both the
upstairs and downstairs stats. Despite having a leaky house (heatwise)
my gas bills are not too bad. I am currently paying £57 per month which
would appear to be around average if the figures quoted in the media
from time to time are correct.

As for people leaving the heating on, I think you are over estimating the
abilty of many to understand how heating systems work.

The people who turn the roomstat or TRVs up to maximum to warm the house
up quicker are probably in a majority. :-)

--
Roger Chapman

The Natural Philosopher January 9th 08 09:11 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...
More attention to both desirable and undesirable solar gain in
house design would probably bear more fruit than many of the
pointless energy saving schemes which currently have the public
attention.

Hard to do when people still want mock-Georgian houses.

A nice glass fronted[1] house with a good thick slab of something heavy
behind it, equipped with blinds and vents should be able to do both
heating and cooling if used properly. And there may be the rub - some
occupiers will hate it simply because they don't understand how to use
it or have fuddled the design up by building cupboards over the vents.

However popular it is, the whiners will generally get the press and what
could be a super design with real benefits in reducing energy costs will
become unfashionable again (if it ever gets started) because of
ignorance and the media's hunger for sensational stories.

[1] For front, read "south elevation".

You don't even need shutters.

Mediterranean houses ate built in a spceific way.

First of all, the build is massive. Concrete is the material of choice,
or tile brick and terracotta.

Rooves are very thick and cemented together.

The eaves overhang, and there are usuallay overhung verandahs or
ramadas, to provide shade in the high sun, but allow low level winter
sun to penetrate.

The large thermal mass allows peak summer day temperatures to be
moderated by lower night time temperatures, especially in windows ar
largely CLOSED by day, and opened by night.

Everybody sleeps through the peak heat - 12pm -5pm or 6pm.

Work is done in the mornings, and the evenings. Late evenings are
playtime, for sitting outside and drinking cool drinks.

In winter, as mnuch use of solar gain as possible is made. Sun in te
windows raises the temperature, and the house stays warm at night. My
sister has a house in greece, and a simple solar water panel on the roof
makes it ALMOST unnecessary to have a fire or other heating. Just
occasionally its needed on very cold days.

In ulktra cold places, wood is preferred for construction, there being
no real heat input to preserve, so insulation is far more important than
thermal mass. However even here large triple glazed picture windows
facing south can provide useful solar input in winter, and will
typically have some form of thermal curtains over them after dark.

The Natural Philosopher January 9th 08 09:16 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...
What is clear is that at current prices there is no way that a system can
be built using either manufactured parts or professional installation let
alone both.

DIY is the only way to go at the moment.

I had friends in the 60s who had some old radiators in glass boxes on
the roof of an extension. Their boiler wasn't on at all from late spring
to early autumn, and the system cost very little to run - just the power
for a small CH circulator run at its lowest setting, and even that was
only on when there was sufficient available heat relative to the tank.

That sounds impressive, till I compare with what we do here.

No real CH at all in summer. None.

In spring and autumn, very occasioanally, but largely only about 1/4 of
the house, and the aga. That's a Kw.

In winter? well anything from 3-10KW CONTINUOUS depending on the day.

So I'd say we average about a Kw, with peaks being up to ten times that,
and zero being the case for the hottest three months of the year.

So manging to make it all work spring to autumn, is AFAIAC not really a
big deal at all.

When I last drove by the house it was still there - I guess it's paid
for itself in the intervening forty years even if they had to scrounge
some more radiators to replace rusted units at some point.

The Natural Philosopher January 9th 08 09:24 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:37:40 GMT, Skipweasel wrote:

Does everyone else have their heating off over night?

Yes, but principally because of the noise from expanding pipes and rads
wakes us up... Even if it was on the programmable stat would set quite low
(15C in the living room say) for the night period.

As for people leaving the heating on, I think you are over estimating the
abilty of many to understand how heating systems work.

Indeed.

We normally have it off, because we sleep almost over the boiler.
Its not too loud, but its a quite area.

I have slept curled up in front of many a fire in the past in less well
insulated houses.

I happen to LIKE heat. I was on the edge of hypothermia once, spent my
childhood in a house with no insulation and no central heating, and
never lost an almost permanent state of asthma till I moved to
college..then I started smoking..ah well..I was at that time around 5'11
and weighed just under 8 stone.

I am 13 stone and a smidegoon now, and its not as bad as it was..I
actually FLOAT in water now.

But if someone gave me the choice between death valley for a day, and
-15C for a day, Id pick death valley every time. As long as there was
water and shade.

I dunno why, but when other people are puffing and panting about how hot
it is, I am just beginning to feel comfortable (around 23-25C)

Si[_2_] January 9th 08 09:41 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

In message , writes
On 9 Jan,
Skipweasel wrote:

Does everyone else have their heating off over night? I used to think
this was fairly normal, but looking out over the rooftops on a not
particularly cold night recently I noticed that many houses still had
plumes from their chimneys. Now, if they were houses with grannies in, I
could probably understand it, but several of them I know have families
with a couple of fit adults and a few school age kids.

I wouldn't like their gas bills.

Mine keeps going off rediculously late, and on again rediculously early.
However much I reset it to be off longer in the night it seems to revert to
these settings. Also teh programmable thermostat reverts to some rediculously
high setting. I have to strip off at times.

Mine does that too, I have a theory which is admitted to be correct but
it is in my best interests to not voice it nowadays. ;-)

--
Si

Derek Geldard January 9th 08 10:40 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 12:20:20 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher is an accountant; the *only* thing that matters is
the bottom line. Whilst that is a factor it is not the overiding one for
many.

I resent that. I am an engineer,who has learnt the hard way that the
recipe for good engineering is to do the difficult sums. The ones with
pound signs in them.

Hmmm.

You are correct of course.

However the greatest developments in my field (electronics) took place
during WW2

Delays in engineering had to be acceoted within the circumstances they
had to work in.

DG

The Natural Philosopher January 10th 08 02:04 AM

wrote:

The Natural Philosopher is an accountant; the *only* thing that matters is
the bottom line. Whilst that is a factor it is not the overiding one for
many.

I resent that. I am an engineer,who has learnt the hard way that the
recipe for good engineering is to do the difficult sums. The ones with
pound signs in them.

Hmmm.

You are correct of course.

However the greatest developments in my field (electronics) took place
during WW2

well it is my field too, or was..

Delays in engineering had to be acceoted within the circumstances they
had to work in.

"An engineer is someone who can do for sixpence what any damn fool can
do for a quid"

DG

John Rumm January 10th 08 03:03 AM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:37:40 GMT, Skipweasel wrote:

Does everyone else have their heating off over night?

Yes, but principally because of the noise from expanding pipes and rads
wakes us up... Even if it was on the programmable stat would set quite low
(15C in the living room say) for the night period.

As for people leaving the heating on, I think you are over estimating the
abilty of many to understand how heating systems work.

Technically speaking I leave my heating on 24/365, and let the
programmable stat deal with it. The result is that it never seems to
fire at night when the stat temp drops to 15 from 21, and hardly ever
fires for the seven or so warmer months of the year.

--
Cheers,

John.

David Hansen January 10th 08 08:28 AM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:46:00 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
wrote this:-

Natural Philosopher et al, thanks for the financials - that is
disappointing, not your replies that is - just the prospect that (at
present) this technology does not pay for the consumer, and we haven't
(at present!) got money for just showing off.

Such things take along time to repay the investment if one only
considers simple payback period. It is getting less, but it is still
long. However, simple payback period is not the only reason for
doing something, if it was there are many things we would not do.
What is the simple payback period on a new kitchen?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen January 10th 08 08:30 AM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:27:29 GMT someone who may be Skipweasel
wrote this:-

[1] For front, read "south elevation".

It is not just the whiners. The volume house builders want to slap
down their standard designs so as to maximise the number of boxes
they can get on a bit of land. They are the ones with the means to
influence officials and party politicians.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Peter Parry January 10th 08 10:24 AM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:28:45 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

However, simple payback period is not the only reason for
doing something, if it was there are many things we would not do.
What is the simple payback period on a new kitchen?

As has been pointed out to you on many occasions your comparison is
invalid. Something like a kitchen is bought for both functional and
aesthetic reasons. The first are quantifiable, the second are not.

Energy is entirely quantifiable, there are no aesthetics. You buy on
cost whether that cost be financial or some other measure such as CO2
emissions in its generation. Whichever it is is entirely measurable.

A Windsave Turbine on an urban roof in probably more than 90% of UK
homes is never going to save money. In about half or more of the
installations it would actually cost money to run as the controller
consumes more energy than the turbine generates. In probably all
cases it will never pay back its construction, distribution, fitting,
repair and maintenance energy costs in its lifetime. It is more
expensive both in financial and energy terms than almost any other
generation system. Why would one fit one?

David Hansen January 10th 08 11:25 AM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:24:33 +0000 someone who may be Peter Parry
wrote this:-

However, simple payback period is not the only reason for
doing something, if it was there are many things we would not do.
What is the simple payback period on a new kitchen?

As has been pointed out to you on many occasions your comparison is
invalid.

So some claim. However, I have yet to find their claims convincing.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

[email protected] January 10th 08 12:03 PM

On 10 Jan, 10:24, Peter Parry wrote:

In probably all
cases it will never pay back its construction, distribution, fitting,
repair and maintenance energy costs in its lifetime. It is more
expensive both in financial and energy terms than almost any other
generation system.

That may not be that case for much longer:

http://tinyurl.com/2g6e4p

"The company [Windsave] will launch solar energy products this year
and is also working on an unusual version of hydropower - using "grey
water" from a household to drive a turbine in its drains".

A turbine in the drains - more or less efficient than a washing
machine motor and some fan blades on the roof?

The Natural Philosopher January 10th 08 01:12 PM

wrote this:-

Natural Philosopher et al, thanks for the financials - that is
disappointing, not your replies that is - just the prospect that (at
present) this technology does not pay for the consumer, and we haven't
(at present!) got money for just showing off.

Such things take along time to repay the investment if one only
considers simple payback period. It is getting less, but it is still
long. However, simple payback period is not the only reason for
doing something, if it was there are many things we would not do.
What is the simple payback period on a new kitchen?

If it means eating at home rather than eating out, about a year in our
case :-)

Skipweasel January 10th 08 02:08 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

In article , says...
I had friends in the 60s who had some old radiators in glass boxes on
the roof of an extension. Their boiler wasn't on at all from late spring
to early autumn, and the system cost very little to run - just the power
for a small CH circulator run at its lowest setting, and even that was
only on when there was sufficient available heat relative to the tank.

That sounds impressive, till I compare with what we do here.

No real CH at all in summer. None.

Sure, but this was in a much extended post-war asbestos prefab. The
original house was a small core inside what ended up quite large.

Roger Mills January 10th 08 03:23 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On 10 Jan, 10:24, Peter Parry wrote:

In probably all
cases it will never pay back its construction, distribution, fitting,
repair and maintenance energy costs in its lifetime. It is more
expensive both in financial and energy terms than almost any other
generation system.

That may not be that case for much longer:

http://tinyurl.com/2g6e4p

"The company [Windsave] will launch solar energy products this year
and is also working on an unusual version of hydropower - using "grey
water" from a household to drive a turbine in its drains".

A turbine in the drains - more or less efficient than a washing
machine motor and some fan blades on the roof?

Almost certainly less so! If you think about it, all the grey water leaving
the building will have come in through the mains. How much energy do you
think you could extract from the turbine in your water meter?

However, if you *cooled* the grey water with a heat pump, you might just be
talking - but I doubt it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

The Natural Philosopher January 10th 08 04:17 PM

Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Its total ******** really.

Far more energy from the **** by letting it make methane, & using a
windmill to pump it into calor gaz bottles ;-)

Dave Liquorice January 11th 08 12:28 PM

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:17:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

However, if you *cooled* the grey water with a heat pump, you might
just be talking - but I doubt it.

A passive heat recovery system would be better would stand more of chance
of breaking even for the accountants.

As for power from a basin full of water or even a bath full falling 10'
what a stupid idea, this is worse than the tiddly windmills.

The potential energy of a 200l bath 3m above the turbine is only 200 x 9.8
x 3 = 5880 joules or 0.00163 kWhr. Note that is the potential energy,
you'd never be able to recover all of it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice January 11th 08 12:35 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 12:20:20 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The Natural Philosopher is an accountant; the *only* thing that matters
is the bottom line. Whilst that is a factor it is not the overiding
one for many.

I resent that. I am an engineer, ...

Correct response. B-)

But please pay attention to my second sentence, there is a balance between
making a profit in pure cash terms and making a profit with some other
benefit that is not cash. If the former was always applied we'd still be
living in caves as there would be no "blue sky" research.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andrew Gabriel January 11th 08 03:22 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

I've had this rather barmy idea floating around in my head for
a while relating to shower heat recovery. Run the drain through
something like a plate exchanger, which has the cold feed running
across the other side (probably the cold supply to the hot water
cylinder, not to the shower directly). OK, you probably can't use
a plate exchanger for dirty water -- one thought was a really deep
U-trap, e.g. 8' for an upstairs shower. The trap is a double
concentric pipe with a copper inner pipe with the cold feed in one
and the waste water in the other, so there's a reasonable heat
transfer contact time. (I've got some lengths of 22 and 28mm copper
left from installing the heating, which I could use.)

I would probably never build it, but the idea's been floating
around in my head for a number of years now.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Tony Bryer January 11th 08 03:48 PM

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:28:05 +0000 (GMT) Dave Liquorice wrote :
The potential energy of a 200l bath 3m above the turbine is only
200 x 9.8 x 3 = 5880 joules or 0.00163 kWhr. Note that is the
potential energy, you'd never be able to recover all of it.

Thanks for explaining the arithmetic. I have often thought that it
should be possible to have a small US-style hydro station at
Teddington Lock near me,, but following your numbers 800m litres/day
(avg) x 2.68m drop is just 258kW. It just seems amazing that so much
could produce so little, especially since this assumes 100%
efficiency. I guess head is everything.

Clive George January 11th 08 03:52 PM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:28:05 +0000 (GMT) Dave Liquorice wrote :
The potential energy of a 200l bath 3m above the turbine is only
200 x 9.8 x 3 = 5880 joules or 0.00163 kWhr. Note that is the
potential energy, you'd never be able to recover all of it.

Thanks for explaining the arithmetic. I have often thought that it
should be possible to have a small US-style hydro station at
Teddington Lock near me,, but following your numbers 800m litres/day
(avg) x 2.68m drop is just 258kW. It just seems amazing that so much
could produce so little, especially since this assumes 100%
efficiency. I guess head is everything.

258kw isn't nothing though - there's lots of smaller hydro schemes. Often
cheap to build too.

cheers,
clive

Dave Liquorice January 11th 08 09:01 PM

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:52:39 -0000, Clive George wrote:

It just seems amazing that so much could produce so little, especially
since this assumes 100% efficiency. I guess head is everything.

Erm, yes, head is everything...

You can get small low head turbines but you phenomenal amounts of water to
get any decent power from them. Water supply is normally the hard bit so
the higher the head the more you get per kg of water passing through the
turbine.

258kw isn't nothing though - there's lots of smaller hydro schemes.
Often cheap to build too.

But not with 2.68m heads...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Ed Sirett January 11th 08 09:31 PM

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:48:20 +0000, Tony Bryer wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:28:05 +0000 (GMT) Dave Liquorice wrote :
The potential energy of a 200l bath 3m above the turbine is only 200 x
9.8 x 3 = 5880 joules or 0.00163 kWhr. Note that is the potential
energy, you'd never be able to recover all of it.

Thanks for explaining the arithmetic. I have often thought that it
should be possible to have a small US-style hydro station at Teddington
Lock near me,, but following your numbers 800m litres/day (avg) x 2.68m
drop is just 258kW. It just seems amazing that so much could produce so
little, especially since this assumes 100% efficiency. I guess head is
everything.

Well it's the product of head and flow. The "Barrage du Rance" (or
whetever the frogs call it) across the Rance estuary in northern France
produces substantial power form very little head and massive volumes.

Ed Sirett January 11th 08 09:40 PM

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:22:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I've had this rather barmy idea floating around in my head for a while
relating to shower heat recovery. Run the drain through something like a
plate exchanger, which has the cold feed running across the other side
(probably the cold supply to the hot water cylinder, not to the shower
directly). OK, you probably can't use a plate exchanger for dirty water
-- one thought was a really deep U-trap, e.g. 8' for an upstairs shower.
The trap is a double concentric pipe with a copper inner pipe with the
cold feed in one and the waste water in the other, so there's a
reasonable heat transfer contact time. (I've got some lengths of 22 and
28mm copper left from installing the heating, which I could use.)

I would probably never build it, but the idea's been floating around in
my head for a number of years now.

I think you could use a length of 42mm Cu pipe (which is totally
compatible with BS 5454 push fit plastic waste). Around the out side of
this (say 1m length) spiral four pieces of 8mm microbore and solder them
in place, to make good thermal contact. Connect the four ends into a 22 -
4 x 8mm "manifold" fittings at each end of the spiral. then you have a

reasonable waste water to pressured water heat exchanger. My guess is
that the flow of an electric shower with this arrangement would probably
settle out as double the flow rate without, or you could go to half power
on the electric even in winter.

andrew heggie January 11th 08 09:54 PM

Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:22:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I've had this rather barmy idea floating around in my head for
a while relating to shower heat recovery. Run the drain through
something like a plate exchanger,

We've had this discussion some time back, the american device that is sold
for this purpose is a short length of ~2" copper pipe in series with the
drain, around this are wrapped 4 adjacent coils of microbore soldered to
the drain pipe and joined into the cold water feed to the shower. The
drain water forms a skin around the copper pipe and as such is a good
heat eaxchange surace without fouling.

Last time I mentioned it it was more to boost a shower heat output than to
save the planet.

AJH

andrew heggie January 11th 08 09:58 PM

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:01:28 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

It just seems amazing that so much could produce so little, especially
since this assumes 100% efficiency. I guess head is everything.

Erm, yes, head is everything...

You can get small low head turbines but you phenomenal amounts of water to
get any decent power from them. Water supply is normally the hard bit so
the higher the head the more you get per kg of water passing through the
turbine.

Which is why the local water supply company may be concerned if the house
has an unmetered supply ;-)

AJH