Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing Foam roofing insulation directly over joists?

In my local B&Q last week I was reading the packaging of their 'Space Board'
product, sheets of foam insulation made by Knauf. I am assuming, never
having seen any, that this is similar to Kingspan or Celotex?

Anyway, since I'm thinking of properly insulating, and maybe boarding, the
loft, at some point soonish, I read the installation instructions.

They say, and the website confirms:

http://www.space-insulation.com/board.html

that you can put the board directly *over* the existing joists, and then put
chipboard on top, screwing through the chipboard and foam into the joists.

Does this work? It seems an attractive method to get a decent total
thickness without fitting additional 4x2s across the joists etc., as I've
seen recommended here. But I'd worry that the foam would deform under the
chipboard, leading to a horrid result in time.

And if it does work ... would it also work with Celotex/Kingspan?

Thanks for your thoughts

Jon N

Installing ceiling fan with 10" joists [email protected] Home Repair 17 September 16th 19 02:47 AM
installing slider window directly on concrete opening [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 12th 06 10:38 AM
Installing Joists Mike Woodworking 3 May 10th 06 02:22 PM
how to patch foam roofing? botfood Home Ownership 3 May 18th 05 03:50 PM
Can I affix 2mm bamboo herringbone 'plywood' directly to joists? Dolchas Home Repair 0 September 2nd 03 09:39 PM