Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boiler losing all water pressure every 4 hours.

We have a new combi boiler, installed in May, now losing all water
pressure about every 4 hours and shutting down. We have been advised
there must be a large leak under our concrete floors but no sign is
really showing. Utility and kitchen floors appear damp but after
digging up trench under utility room radiator, there was no leak
there. Can anyone offer advise on how to make progress, or tips on
detection, cant keep on resetting boiler. Have only been in this
house 18 months and thought we were making progress up dating
utilities.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
We have a new combi boiler, installed in May, now losing all water
pressure about every 4 hours and shutting down. We have been advised
there must be a large leak under our concrete floors but no sign is
really showing. Utility and kitchen floors appear damp but after
digging up trench under utility room radiator, there was no leak
there. Can anyone offer advise on how to make progress, or tips on
detection, cant keep on resetting boiler. Have only been in this
house 18 months and thought we were making progress up dating
utilities.

It doesn't take a large leak to depressurise a CH system.

Well - to depressurise it every four hours must mean there's a
reasonable volume of water coming out in that time - ie measured in
pints rather than egg cups I'd have thought? Certainly enough to be
readily detected if it wasn't leaking some nefarious like under the
floor. I'm sure it would be coming through the ceiling, for example, if
there was a leak anywhere upstairs.

Where else is there pipework which you can't eyeball? When you say
you've dug a trench in the utility room floor do you mean you've exposed
all the buried pipework, or is there more?

If you can be convinced the leak is under there somehwere, one approach
might be to bypass the under-floor bit by running new pipes above ground
somewhere - less attractive but less invasive??

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 07:51:08 -0800, paulanderika wrote:

We have a new combi boiler, installed in May, now losing all water
pressure about every 4 hours and shutting down. We have been advised
there must be a large leak under our concrete floors but no sign is
really showing. Utility and kitchen floors appear damp but after digging
up trench under utility room radiator, there was no leak there. Can
anyone offer advise on how to make progress, or tips on detection, cant
keep on resetting boiler. Have only been in this house 18 months and
thought we were making progress up dating utilities.

There is a FAQ for this. See below.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You could feed it a barium meal and go around with a geiger counter...

Barium sulphate, as given by mouth or as an enema is radio-opaque
to X-rays, not radio-active.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Combi-boiler losing pressure Jason UK diy 14 February 21st 07 12:38 AM
Sealed system boiler losing pressure Lobster UK diy 7 September 11th 06 09:21 AM
Expansion vessel in combi losing pressure. No water leaking from valve. Jake S UK diy 1 February 28th 06 08:25 PM
losing water pressure mg Home Repair 5 July 6th 05 01:44 PM
Combi boiler losing water from drain (Worcester) Grunff UK diy 9 February 7th 05 11:24 PM