Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to find a door jam(b) saw?

Hi there, hope this question is not too off topic?
I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff.
I am told one can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom of the
door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a gap of course!!).
Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one online?
Tried Homebase and they never heard of such a thing.
I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am interested to know if
there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck.
Any suggestions welcome please.
Ger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ger" wrote in message
Hi there, hope this question is not too off topic?
I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff.
I am told one can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom of the
door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a gap of
course!!).
Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one
online?
Tried Homebase and they never heard of such a thing.
I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am interested to know if
there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck.
Any suggestions welcome please.
Ger.

Bosch do one, fairly new on the market, can't remember its name.
You asked at Homebase and expected them to know? no chance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:34:36 -0000, "Scabbydug"
wrote:

"ger" wrote in message
Hi there, hope this question is not too off topic?
I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff.
I am told one can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom of the
door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a gap of
course!!).
Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one
online?
Tried Homebase and they never heard of such a thing.
I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am interested to know if
there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck.
Any suggestions welcome please.
Ger.

Bosch do one, fairly new on the market, can't remember its name.
You asked at Homebase and expected them to know? no chance.

Have a look at the Axminster website
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Several possible approaches.

Hire one of these:
http://www.hss.com/index.php?g=3141

Buy a biscuit jointer - it's one of the suggested alternate uses in
the manual with my Makita.

Buy a Fein Multimaster (or the cheaper Bosch version).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ger wrote:
Hi there, hope this question is not too off topic?
I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff.
I am told one can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom of the
door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a gap of course!!).
Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one online?
Tried Homebase and they never heard of such a thing.
I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am interested to know if
there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck.
Any suggestions welcome please.
Ger.

They are expensive.
I did my hall with 5x doorways with a tenon saw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dee" wrote in message
ger wrote:
Hi there, hope this question is not too off topic?
I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff.
I am told one can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom of the
door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a gap of
course!!).
Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one
online?
Tried Homebase and they never heard of such a thing.
I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am interested to know if
there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck.
Any suggestions welcome please.
Ger.

They are expensive.
I did my hall with 5x doorways with a tenon saw.

Thanks Andy,
Isn't it very awkward to get a tenon saw flat and horizontal?
I envisioned a tool (like a tenon saw) but with an offset handle so the
blade would lie flat on the tile/board.
Also a blade with no raised back edge. Sort of like a plasterers tool but
with a saw/serrated edge!!
Ger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"ger" wrote in message
Hi there, hope this question is not too off topic?
I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff.
I am told one can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom of the
door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a gap of
course!!).
Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one
online?
Tried Homebase and they never heard of such a thing.
I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am interested to know
if
there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck.
Any suggestions welcome please.
Ger.

Bosch do one, fairly new on the market, can't remember its name.
You asked at Homebase and expected them to know? no chance.

Have a look at the Axminster website
Stuart

Stuart, brilliant.
Looks like the keyword is "flushcut" !!
I had tried 'jam', jamb', and undercut' without luck.
The Axminster site has the answer. Seberal options.
Many thanks
Ger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ger" wrote in message
news

"Andy Dee" wrote in message
ger wrote:
[...]

Looks like the Axminster website has the answer for me.
Thanks again Stuart.
Ger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 22 Dec, 18:29, "ger" wrote:
Hi there, hope this question is not too off topic?
I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff.
I am told one can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom of the
door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a gap of course!!).
Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one online?
Tried Homebase and they never heard of such a thing.
I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am interested to know if
there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck.
Any suggestions welcome please.
Ger.

Bosch do the pmf 180, which is a cheaper version of the Fein. Lots of
threads on here about it. Argos stock it, as do many other places. Got
mine from Lawson-HIS.co.uk - cheapest I could find and cheap blades
too. Screwfix have it for £30 more than other places - even more than
the RRP!

I've just tried it on the bottom of a binding door, and it works -
clean and straight cut, but it took a long time. I think the supplied
semi-circular blade is too fine

For door frame and architrave, all you really need is a normal 20"
hand saw with fine teeth. This will be flexible enough to bend against
the floor to cut. Use a scrap piece of flooring first to do the cut
against.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
On 22 Dec, 18:29, "ger" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that DG.
I think I have the answer at the Axminster site (see other responses)
Thank you
Ger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Several possible approaches.

Hire one of these:
http://www.hss.com/index.php?g=3141

Buy a biscuit jointer - it's one of the suggested alternate uses in
the manual with my Makita.

I used this method last wqeek.
My bizzy cutter blade is 8mm from the foot plate. Had to shim it up the
raise it
high enough for my new flooring.
Couldn't be easier.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ger wrote:
Hi there, hope this question is not too off topic?
I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff.
I am told one can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom
of the door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a
gap of course!!).
Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one
online?
Tried Homebase and they never heard of such a thing.
I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am interested to
know if there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck.

Electric door trimming saws are v expensive. Try a Jananese style pull saw
like this
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100269

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

[...]