Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What will I need?

Hi,
As some of you may know I'm planning to upgrade my ancient heating
system to a new modern sealed system.
The type of system I want is one that will let me time the hot water
and heating to come on at different times,there will be times when
both (CH&DHW) will be required at the same time and also times when
only DHW is needed.

My main questions a
What valves will I need?
Is this even possible?
The programmer I'm planning on purchasing is a Drayton lifestyle 5/2
programmer,is this a good choice?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

Hi,
As some of you may know I'm planning to upgrade my ancient heating
system to a new modern sealed system.
The type of system I want is one that will let me time the hot water
and heating to come on at different times,there will be times when
both (CH&DHW) will be required at the same time and also times when
only DHW is needed.

My main questions a
What valves will I need?
Is this even possible?
The programmer I'm planning on purchasing is a Drayton lifestyle 5/2
programmer,is this a good choice?

The purists here will tell you to use an "S-Plan" piping layout which has 2
motorised valves and NOT a three way valve "Y-Plan".
If you google the subject, you will find plenty of info on heating systems,
circuitry etc.
One recommendation I would make is consider a 3 event programmer for the hot
water side.
This is useful for hot water heating top-up.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:39:00 -0000 TheScullster wrote :
The purists here will tell you to use an "S-Plan" piping layout
which has 2 motorised valves and NOT a three way valve "Y-Plan".

Not so much purists as pragmatists. S-plan 2-port systems are much
easier to fault-find when something goes wrong (as it will at some
point). Depending on what the OP's house is like, lifestyle, and
the amount of work involved, splitting the heating into two zones,
each with its own 2-port valve and controls may well be a
cost-effective enhancement.

As to the OP's original question on programmers, 5/2 sounds like
you have to have the same program for every weekday and another
one for Sat/Sun. I would go for something that allows full 7-day
programming - Honeywell CM or similar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Dec, 22:56, geoff wrote:
In message
,
writes

Hi,
As some of you may know I'm planning to upgrade my ancient heating
system to a new modern sealed system.
The type of system I want is one that will let me time the hot water
and heating to come on at different times,there will be times when
both (CH&DHW) will be required at the same time and also times when
only DHW is needed.

My main questions a
What valves will I need?
Is this even possible?
The programmer I'm planning on purchasing is a Drayton lifestyle 5/2
programmer,is this a good choice?

Would it not be a better idea to wait until the weather gets warmer?

--
geoff

I am actually going get this system upgraded in the summer, I just
wanted to know some extra information.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 19, 11:03 am, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:39:00 -0000 TheScullster wrote :

The purists here will tell you to use an "S-Plan" piping layout
which has 2 motorised valves and NOT a three way valve "Y-Plan".

Not so much purists as pragmatists. S-plan 2-port systems are much
easier to fault-find when something goes wrong (as it will at some
point). Depending on what the OP's house is like, lifestyle, and
the amount of work involved, splitting the heating into two zones,
each with its own 2-port valve and controls may well be a
cost-effective enhancement.

As to the OP's original question on programmers, 5/2 sounds like
you have to have the same program for every weekday and another
one for Sat/Sun. I would go for something that allows full 7-day
programming - Honeywell CM or similar.

I do not need a 7 day programmer because our requirements are the same
for weekdays and differ slightly in the weekend.