Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lock for new front door.

I am about to fit a new wooden front door. I will use a new lock.

What are the pros and cons of a traditional mortice lock and a Euro lock?

Thanks

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

I am about to fit a new wooden front door. I will use a new lock.

What are the pros and cons of a traditional mortice lock and a Euro lock?

Thanks

mark

I think if I had a sturdy wooden door without multi-point locking, I would
prefer a mortice lock. I don't know much about locks, but I've heard of
several ways of attacking a Euro lock, but very few ways of attacking a
well-fitted mortice lock.

If you think a key has fallen into the wrong hands it's a bit easier to
change a Euro cylinder than a mortice lock, but the price is about the same,
so I don't think this is a compelling argument.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:25:37 UTC, "DeadCat"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message

I am about to fit a new wooden front door. I will use a new lock.

What are the pros and cons of a traditional mortice lock and a Euro lock?

Thanks

mark

I think if I had a sturdy wooden door without multi-point locking, I would
prefer a mortice lock. I don't know much about locks, but I've heard of
several ways of attacking a Euro lock, but very few ways of attacking a
well-fitted mortice lock.

If you think a key has fallen into the wrong hands it's a bit easier to
change a Euro cylinder than a mortice lock, but the price is about the same,
so I don't think this is a compelling argument.

Or consider a high security cylinder lock. Our insurance company was
quite happy with that. Again, cylinder easy to change (although a bit
more pricy due to the design).

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark
writes

I am about to fit a new wooden front door. I will use a new lock.

What are the pros and cons of a traditional mortice lock and a Euro lock?

You can buy a BS approved mortice deadlock for 15quid but you wont get
an approved euro cylinder lock for under 50.

In your place I would fit 2 locks, one a conventional BS approved
mortice deadlock fitted just above knee height and an auto deadlocking
cylinder based lock at shoulder height. Having the BS lock (and using
it) means you don't need the cylinder lock to be BS approved and so you
can save a bit of cash. Euro cylinder set-ups cost a lot to make
properly secure so I wouldn't recommend them for most people. If you
lose your keys you can replace the bottom mortice complete and just the
top cylinder.

Examples:
Cheap but serviceable BS Asec deadlock:
http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/...ce_Door_Locks_.
html or http://preview.tinyurl.com/3yd7sp (15quid)
Ok BS ERA rimlock:
http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/...e_ERA_239.html
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/2qgf4e (30quid)
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

I am about to fit a new wooden front door. I will use a new lock.

What are the pros and cons of a traditional mortice lock and a Euro lock?

Thanks

mark

Thanks for the replies.
Have abanoned the idea of a Euro lock and ordered a mortice lock and a
cylinder rimlock.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark
writes

"Mark" wrote in message

I am about to fit a new wooden front door. I will use a new lock.

What are the pros and cons of a traditional mortice lock and a Euro lock?

Thanks

mark

Thanks for the replies.
Have abanoned the idea of a Euro lock and ordered a mortice lock and a
cylinder rimlock.

The frame can get a little weak around the area of the mortice strike
box and around the rimlock strike. If you feel like going a bit further
you can add strength to the frame by removing the architrave and fixing
a continuous strip of builders' band down the length of the exposed
frame edge on the hinge and strike sides. Fix with 3" x 10 screws at 2"
intervals near the strikes/hinges and 6-8" elsewhere. Refit the
architrave and fill the slight gap from the thickness of the band.

Builders' band:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38619/...lders-Band-10M
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/27233s (4.59GBP)