Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Condensation in My Shed....

Hi all

I have a 20 x 10 foot shed, that I use as an office and for the odd bit of
DIY.

Being winter, I have a mobile gas heater in the shed, to take the chill off
the place. However, I have terrible condensation build up, so much so that
its starting to be a problem.

I am touying with the idea of fitting two air vents at one end of the shed,
and an extractor fan at the other, to help improve circulation of air in the
shed.

Any other ideas ?

(I do have Carbon Monoxide detectors in the shed as well, and they havn't
triggered, so there must be some ventilation in there !)

Thanks

Adrian Rees

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Dec, 22:30, "Adrian Rees MW1LCR" wrote:
Hi all

I have a 20 x 10 foot shed, that I use as an office and for the odd bit of
DIY.

Being winter, I have a mobile gas heater in the shed, to take the chill off
the place. However, I have terrible condensation build up, so much so that
its starting to be a problem.

I am touying with the idea of fitting two air vents at one end of the shed,
and an extractor fan at the other, to help improve circulation of air in the
shed.

Any other ideas ?

It won't help directly with the condensation, but what about some
insulation underneath the shed roof so you don't have to burn so much
gas? Or a fixed gas fire running off bottled gas with a flue going out
through the wall?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Rees MW1LCR wrote:
Hi all

I have a 20 x 10 foot shed, that I use as an office and for the odd
bit of DIY.

What's the shed made of?

If its of corrugated material, then you're fighting a loosing battle
whatever you do.

If it's of concrete, brick or wood, then try insulating the walls and roof
with some sort of condensate absorbing material.

If you have a corrugated material roof i.e steel or cement based sheet, the
you will have to insulate that too.

Being winter, I have a mobile gas heater in the shed, to take the
chill off the place. However, I have terrible condensation build up,
so much so that its starting to be a problem.

Calor gas naturally gives off a large amount of water when burning. If
possible, can you use another form of heater such as an electric oil heater
or a simple electric fire?

I am touying with the idea of fitting two air vents at one end of the
shed, and an extractor fan at the other, to help improve circulation
of air in the shed.

Combined with the fan, it may then may cause you some discomfort with a
cross-draught and also NOT cure the problem.

Any other ideas ?

If you don't or cannot use the other suggestions, you could try using a
dehumidifier in the shed for the time you're in there and leave it on for a
while after you leave.

(I do have Carbon Monoxide detectors in the shed as well, and they
havn't triggered, so there must be some ventilation in there !)

Not necessarily, their effective operation depends on their location - the
same as smoke detectors.

Also, if you have a modern gas heater that's regularly serviced, then then
the flame failure device on the heater will cut the gas supply off when high
levels of CO are detected.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Adrian Rees MW1LCR" writes:
Hi all

I have a 20 x 10 foot shed, that I use as an office and for the odd bit of
DIY.

Being winter, I have a mobile gas heater in the shed, to take the chill off
the place. However, I have terrible condensation build up, so much so that
its starting to be a problem.

Well, you burn the gas, and it turns into carbon dioxide
and water vapour, which generates the condensation.

I am touying with the idea of fitting two air vents at one end of the shed,
and an extractor fan at the other, to help improve circulation of air in the
shed.

Any other ideas ?

As the other poster said, insulate, and use some type of heating
which doesn't release the combustion products into the room.

(I do have Carbon Monoxide detectors in the shed as well, and they havn't
triggered, so there must be some ventilation in there !)

Check the gas heater's instructions regarding amount of
ventilation and minumum room size. Carbon Monoxide detectors
are not that reliable, particularly after a year or two, and
are easily poisened themselves by exposure to other chemicals.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Dec, 23:36, andrew@a17 (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
"Adrian Rees MW1LCR" writes:

[...]

Dont use hydrocarbon fuel
Get radiant electric at 10 or 20 £ a snip
Chris
If you have to then raise the dew point by insulating and provide
sufficient ventilation but what a waste of heat and money that would
be

Concrete Shed condensation gallcj UK diy 6 May 6th 05 06:08 PM
Condensation John Edgar UK diy 14 March 19th 05 10:12 PM
Condensation Zinzan Home Repair 3 February 2nd 05 11:11 PM
Condensation dizasster Home Repair 1 February 2nd 05 12:28 AM
metal shed condensation [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 17th 05 08:59 PM