Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing Skirting , the third way

Yet another thread I'm afraid.

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the convenience of
being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to screws as that makes a
mess of the face. So is there a third way of fixing?

My crazed brain is playing with the idea of making groves with a dovetail
bit, then fixing coach bolts of an appropriate size so the board slots down
onto the wall, but surely someone has made a commercial fixing to have the
same effect?

Cheers

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:01:07 +0000, Steve wrote:

Yet another thread I'm afraid.

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the convenience of
being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to screws as that makes
a mess of the face. So is there a third way of fixing?

My crazed brain is playing with the idea of making groves with a dovetail
bit, then fixing coach bolts of an appropriate size so the board slots
down onto the wall, but surely someone has made a commercial fixing to
have the same effect?

Cheers

Steve

==================================
Something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11423/...ush-Mount-35mm

You would have to be very accurate in spacing the opposing parts to ensure
that they all lined up correctly.

If you want to make your own on a much larger scale you could use a
joddler to create the same effect:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/24761/...-Joggler-Punch

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Steve wrote:
Yet another thread I'm afraid.

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the convenience of
being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to screws as that makes a
mess of the face. So is there a third way of fixing?

My crazed brain is playing with the idea of making groves with a dovetail
bit, then fixing coach bolts of an appropriate size so the board slots down
onto the wall, but surely someone has made a commercial fixing to have the
same effect?

Velcro.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 8:01 am, Steve wrote:
Yet another thread I'm afraid.

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the convenience of
being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to screws as that makes a
mess of the face. So is there a third way of fixing?

In my house (1960s) some of the original skirting is fixed in a a way
I have never seen before but which meets your requirements. Nails
are embedded in the plaster pointing into the room and projecting
about 8mm above the surface of the plaster. The skirting board has
then been impaled onto these.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Nov, 08:01, Steve wrote:
Yet another thread I'm afraid.

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the convenience of
being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to screws as that makes a
mess of the face. So is there a third way of fixing?

My crazed brain is playing with the idea of making groves with a dovetail
bit, then fixing coach bolts of an appropriate size so the board slots down
onto the wall, but surely someone has made a commercial fixing to have the
same effect?

Cheers

Steve

I wonder what your difficulty with screws is ? I use slotted brass
screws for my skirting mainly because screws enable me to get the
skirting to fit the wobbly walls in my old house, and also take up the
inevitable bows etc. that occur in modern timber.

Certainly most of my skirting is stained and lightly varnished so
brass screws do not show up particularly unless you hunt for them, but
even if you are going to paint, how often does anyone look at the
skirting and how obvious is a small screw head ?
OK you know it is there but actually no one else will, and you do have
the comfort of knowing that you can take the skirting off easily if
required.

Go on, use screws - you know it makes sense ! It is the KISS solution.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just noticed that IKEA do skirting that is fixed on with these
clips:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80125925

The skirting comes in 2m lengths, with different finishes available,
e.g.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80125949

Looks interesting, never tried it though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the convenience of
being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to screws as that makes a
mess of the face. So is there a third way of fixing?

Velcro ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 28, 11:22 am, robgraham wrote:
On 28 Nov, 08:01, Steve wrote:

[...]

I use screws but recess them and fill on top before painting. By
putting the screws near the top of the board you can get a nice tight
fit onto irregular walls.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 03:22:13 -0800 (PST), robgraham wrote:

On 28 Nov, 08:01, Steve wrote:
[...]

You might be right, I'll try a few bits to see how it looks, I was just
hoping that someone had come up with a magic 3rd solution.

Do you leave the screwhead flush with the surface, or recess it in
slightly?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Yet another thread I'm afraid.

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the
convenience of being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to
screws as that makes a mess of the face. So is there a third way of
fixing?

I reckon you should buy the IKEA stuff sconemad suggested - then you could
tell us all if it works OK.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Steve wrote:

Yet another thread I'm afraid.

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the
convenience of being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to
screws as that makes a mess of the face. So is there a third way of
fixing?

I reckon you should buy the IKEA stuff sconemad suggested - then you could
tell us all if it works OK.

I've never tried any of these, just ideas to add to the mix...

2 part metal clips used to hang kitchen units. These or velcro
would both need recessing so the skirting sits flush to the wall.
3rdly there is blobs of silicone, enough to hold it properly and
little
enough to allow it to be pulled off when needed. Maybe try on
some scrap to judge how much.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:13:53 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Steve wrote:
Yet another thread I'm afraid.

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the
convenience of being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to
screws as that makes a mess of the face. So is there a third way of
fixing?

I reckon you should buy the IKEA stuff sconemad suggested - then you could
tell us all if it works OK.

It looks more like trunking than skirting Anyway if I wanted white I
wouldn't worry about screws as the paint would cover it.

I have everything in wood and all cut to size, I guess a little
experimentation is in order.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:01:07 GMT, Steve
wrote:

Yet another thread I'm afraid.

Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the convenience of
being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to screws as that makes a
mess of the face. So is there a third way of fixing?

My crazed brain is playing with the idea of making groves with a dovetail
bit, then fixing coach bolts of an appropriate size so the board slots down
onto the wall, but surely someone has made a commercial fixing to have the
same effect?

Cheers

Steve

skirting fixed with gripfill isnt difficult to remove

hth

bandido

Fixing skirting - glue or screw? [email protected] UK diy 35 November 18th 07 12:54 AM
gap under skirting ? In2Minds UK diy 5 March 5th 06 07:24 PM
fixing skirting board to brick wall dbroms UK diy 11 January 17th 06 02:20 AM
MDF Skirting john UK diy 23 September 4th 05 09:30 AM
fixing skirting skyblue UK diy 42 July 31st 05 10:41 PM