DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Temporary floor (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/221783-temporary-floor.html)

geraldthehamster November 19th 07 04:35 PM

Temporary floor

Having installed appropriate joists in the 30 sq m half of my first
floor that didn't have them, I now want to put down a temporary floor
on which I - and the joiner who will build my dormers - can work, to
complete this part of my renovation. I want to lay loft board or
similar, to avoid dirtying and damaging the pitch pine floorboards
that I have stacked in the garage, that will be the finished floor.
Does anyone have an opinion on the cheapest way to create such a
temporary floor, that will be strong enough? The joists span 3.5m to
each side of a dividing wall, and are at 400mm (ish) centres.

Regards
Richard

[email protected] November 19th 07 04:44 PM

Temporary floor

Few sheets of the cheapest 18mm board at your timber merchants
(probably spruce ply or OSB/stirling board both around £20/sheet). You
probably only need to sheet the walkways and main work areas, not
every inch - and you'll find plenty of re-uses for a few odd sheets
later.

Andy Dee November 19th 07 05:14 PM

Temporary floor

geraldthehamster wrote:
Having installed appropriate joists in the 30 sq m half of my first
floor that didn't have them, I now want to put down a temporary floor
on which I - and the joiner who will build my dormers - can work, to
complete this part of my renovation. I want to lay loft board or
similar, to avoid dirtying and damaging the pitch pine floorboards
that I have stacked in the garage, that will be the finished floor.
Does anyone have an opinion on the cheapest way to create such a
temporary floor, that will be strong enough? The joists span 3.5m to
each side of a dividing wall, and are at 400mm (ish) centres.

Regards
Richard

Put your pine floor down and cover with hardboard.
Tape the joints.

Andy.

TMC November 19th 07 05:28 PM

Temporary floor

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
Having installed appropriate joists in the 30 sq m half of my first
floor that didn't have them, I now want to put down a temporary floor
on which I - and the joiner who will build my dormers - can work, to
complete this part of my renovation. I want to lay loft board or
similar, to avoid dirtying and damaging the pitch pine floorboards
that I have stacked in the garage, that will be the finished floor.
Does anyone have an opinion on the cheapest way to create such a
temporary floor, that will be strong enough? The joists span 3.5m to
each side of a dividing wall, and are at 400mm (ish) centres.

Regards
Richard

I used 18mm ply when doing similar work then turned it over and used it to
board out the loft space for storage

Tony

geraldthehamster November 19th 07 09:07 PM

Temporary floor

On 19 Nov, 16:44, " wrote:
Few sheets of the cheapest 18mm board at your timber merchants
(probably spruce ply or OSB/stirling board both around £20/sheet). You
probably only need to sheet the walkways and main work areas, not
every inch - and you'll find plenty of re-uses for a few odd sheets
later.

Thanks - I don't call 20 quid a sheet cheap though. I'm interested in
cheap cheap ;-)

I can re-use some of the flooring (loft boards) that I took up, but
some of it is a bit precarious...

Regards
Richard

The Natural Philosopher November 19th 07 09:28 PM

Temporary floor

geraldthehamster wrote:
On 19 Nov, 16:44, " wrote:
Few sheets of the cheapest 18mm board at your timber merchants
(probably spruce ply or OSB/stirling board both around �20/sheet). You
probably only need to sheet the walkways and main work areas, not
every inch - and you'll find plenty of re-uses for a few odd sheets
later.

Thanks - I don't call 20 quid a sheet cheap though. I'm interested in
cheap cheap ;-)

18mm chipboard then.