Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weird toilet cistern problem.

I recently bought a "Barcelona" range bathroom suite from B&Q.
I left the toilet free-standing away from the wall until the tiling
was complete.

Now I find that when I push the toilet back against the wall, it
doesn't sit flush against the wall - it leans forwards.
i.e. there is a gap of almost an inch at the top of the cistern even
though the bottom is touching the wall.

I've un-coupled and re-couled the cistern and pan a dozen times as per
the instructions, but with no change.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Both parts seem to fit together just fine with no gaps.

Or does anyone else have this same brand of toilet and confirm that
theirs is ok?

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Nov, 20:49, Bob Minchin wrote:
wrote:
I recently bought a "Barcelona" range bathroom suite from B&Q.
I left the toilet free-standing away from the wall until the tiling
was complete.

Now I find that when I push the toilet back against the wall, it
doesn't sit flush against the wall - it leans forwards.
i.e. there is a gap of almost an inch at the top of the cistern even
though the bottom is touching the wall.

I've un-coupled and re-couled the cistern and pan a dozen times as per
the instructions, but with no change.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Both parts seem to fit together just fine with no gaps.

Or does anyone else have this same brand of toilet and confirm that
theirs is ok?

Mark.

Would this be deliberate to enable it to be fitted to the wall before
tiling and yet allow tiles to go behing the cistern at the top and allow
the lid to come on and off with ease?

Just a thought

Bob- Hide quoted text -

I hope not!
I don't think they can assume that everyone will be fitting it to a
wall which will be tiled after the toilet is fitted.

The other weird thing is that the cistern doesn't have any holes to
allow it to be screwed to the wall.
My plan was to put a few beads of silicone on the back of it before
pushing it against the wall.

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently bought a "Barcelona" range bathroom suite from B&Q.
I left the toilet free-standing away from the wall until the tiling
was complete.

Now I find that when I push the toilet back against the wall, it
doesn't sit flush against the wall - it leans forwards.
i.e. there is a gap of almost an inch at the top of the cistern even
though the bottom is touching the wall.

I've un-coupled and re-couled the cistern and pan a dozen times as per
the instructions, but with no change.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Both parts seem to fit together just fine with no gaps.

Or does anyone else have this same brand of toilet and confirm that
theirs is ok?

Mark.

It's either your floor that is out, or the wall. If the top is away from
the wall then you need to lift the front of the toilet up a bit. If that
doesn't work then you might find the wall isn't flat. I *HATE* doing DIY as
I have never found a house that has a level floor or even flat and square
walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Nov, 21:10, "TKelly" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

walls.- Hide quoted text -

I've checked that the floor is square to the wall.
It's definetley the cistern that is "leaning".

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
You should have 2 fixing holes in the top of the cystern to fix to the
wall,but as for the gap this should be able to be ajusted by loosening the 2
fixing screws between the pan & cystern and gently rotating it on the rubber
washer between the cystern and pan.(the big do-nut rubber washer)

HTH

CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cj" wrote in message
Hi
You should have 2 fixing holes in the top of the cystern to fix to the
wall,but as for the gap this should be able to be ajusted by loosening the
2 fixing screws between the pan & cystern and gently rotating it on the
rubber washer between the cystern and pan.(the big do-nut rubber washer)

HTH

CJ

You have got a big doughnut washer I presume?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Nov, 23:30, "John" wrote:
"cj" wrote in message

Hi
You should have 2 fixing holes in the top of the cystern to fix to the
wall,but as for the gap this should be able to be ajusted by loosening the
2 fixing screws between the pan & cystern and gently rotating it on the
rubber washer between the cystern and pan.(the big do-nut rubber washer)

HTH

CJ

You have got a big doughnut washer I presume?

Yep, big doughtnut washer is present and correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Nov, 23:28, "cj" wrote:
Hi
You should have 2 fixing holes in the top of the cystern to fix to the
wall,but as for the gap this should be able to be ajusted by loosening the 2
fixing screws between the pan & cystern and gently rotating it on the rubber
washer between the cystern and pan.(the big do-nut rubber washer)

HTH

CJ

Tried this loads of times.
As soon as I tighten up the screws, it juist pulls forwards again. :-(

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov, 09:40, wrote:
On 11 Nov, 23:30, "John" wrote:

"cj" wrote in message

Hi
You should have 2 fixing holes in the top of the cystern to fix to the
wall,but as for the gap this should be able to be ajusted by loosening the
2 fixing screws between the pan & cystern and gently rotating it on the
rubber washer between the cystern and pan.(the big do-nut rubber washer)

HTH

CJ

You have got a big doughnut washer I presume?

Yep, big doughtnut washer is present and correct.

Depending on the type of donut washer (sometimes neoprene foam), once
it is squished it will not always resume its shape. If you tightened
up when away from the wall, or left it a bit loose, it probably leaned
forward under gravity and this has deformed the washer. You may need
to get a new donut from the plumbers merchant.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov, 09:45, sm_jamieson wrote:
On 12 Nov, 09:40, wrote:

On 11 Nov, 23:30, "John" wrote:

"cj" wrote in message

Hi
You should have 2 fixing holes in the top of the cystern to fix to the
wall,but as for the gap this should be able to be ajusted by loosening the
2 fixing screws between the pan & cystern and gently rotating it on the
rubber washer between the cystern and pan.(the big do-nut rubber washer)

HTH

CJ

You have got a big doughnut washer I presume?

Yep, big doughtnut washer is present and correct.

Depending on the type of donut washer (sometimes neoprene foam), once
it is squished it will not always resume its shape. If you tightened
up when away from the wall, or left it a bit loose, it probably leaned
forward under gravity and this has deformed the washer. You may need
to get a new donut from the plumbers merchant.
Simon.- Hide quoted text -

Just spoke to B&Q's supplier - they have told me that it's supposed to
be like this and isn't mean to fit against a wall!!
Note to anyone else to avoid this range.

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
sounds like b**ls*+t to me the cystern isn't stong enough to support it's
own weight plus 20/30 lbs water on just 2 thin screws but will make a note
to look at the range next time I visit .
If it is right will certainly avoid it..

CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently bought a "Barcelona" range bathroom suite from B&Q.
I left the toilet free-standing away from the wall until the tiling
was complete.

Now I find that when I push the toilet back against the wall, it
doesn't sit flush against the wall - it leans forwards.
i.e. there is a gap of almost an inch at the top of the cistern even
though the bottom is touching the wall.

You have fitted the pan too close to the wall. Move it forwards and all will
be cured.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently bought a "Barcelona" range bathroom suite from B&Q.
I left the toilet free-standing away from the wall until the tiling
was complete.

Now I find that when I push the toilet back against the wall, it
doesn't sit flush against the wall - it leans forwards.
i.e. there is a gap of almost an inch at the top of the cistern even
though the bottom is touching the wall.

I've un-coupled and re-couled the cistern and pan a dozen times as per
the instructions, but with no change.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Both parts seem to fit together just fine with no gaps.

Or does anyone else have this same brand of toilet and confirm that
theirs is ok?

Mark.

Check for 90 degrees between the floor and the wall. Then check for 90 degrees between the bottom of
the toilet and the back of the cistern..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cj wrote:
Hi
sounds like b**ls*+t to me the cystern isn't stong enough to support it's
own weight plus 20/30 lbs water on just 2 thin screws but will make a note
to look at the range next time I visit .
If it is right will certainly avoid it..

CJ

I fitted a new WC last year and the cistern is only fixed by the two
screws holding it down on the pan.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Nov, 14:46, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I recently bought a "Barcelona" range bathroom suite from B&Q.
I left the toilet free-standing away from the wall until the tiling
was complete.

Now I find that when I push the toilet back against the wall, it
doesn't sit flush against the wall - it leans forwards.
i.e. there is a gap of almost an inch at the top of the cistern even
though the bottom is touching the wall.

I've un-coupled and re-couled the cistern and pan a dozen times as per
the instructions, but with no change.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Both parts seem to fit together just fine with no gaps.

Or does anyone else have this same brand of toilet and confirm that
theirs is ok?

Mark.

Check for 90 degrees between the floor and the wall. Then check for 90 degrees between the bottom of
the toilet and the back of the cistern..- Hide quoted text -

This is the problem - got a perfect 90 degrees between the floor and
the wall.
But between the pan and the cistern - about 85 degrees - hence the
cistern is leaning forwards with no way to straighten it.
If I start with the wing-nuts loose, then I can position it an 90
degrees to the horizontal - but once I tighten the wing-nuts up, it
gets pulled back to 85 degrees.

To be fair, B&Q have been very helpfull here - they gave me a
replacement cistern last night and told me to bring the whole lot back
if there is still a problem.
The new cistern was a bit better (probably about 87.5 degerees to the
horizontal). However, this cistern was a very slightly different shape
from the original one - so the original cistern lid won't fit it. It's
definetely the same make and model - the difference is very subtle -
just a few mm (if that) but it's enought to stop the lid fitting.

This all indicated to me that the supplier has been having molding
problems and the staff have been told to claim that it's a deliberate
design feature when Joe public calls up with a complaint.

Mark.