Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default megaflo hot water and heating system with tanks in the loft

Hi All and thanks for looking,

I'm having the loft converted in our semi-detached in Guildford,
Surrey. It'll end up being the largest room in the house. I'm putting
an en suite shower room up there too, directly above the current
bathroom - that also houses the hot water tank.

I've been thinking of changing our current batheroom in any case, and
the water system with it, and the loft conversion company mentioned
installing a megaflo system with direct pressure from the mains and
storage tanks concealed around the eaves of the loft.

Has anyone on this board:

a) Ever done this successfully
b) Any knowledge of the flow rate required - my in-laws have direct
mains pressure feeds and their flow rate is the same as mine (around
18 lpm)
c) Any idea of the cost of altering the mains to increase the flow
d) Any recommendations for manufacturer of megaflo systems

cheers

Gaz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Megaflows require an annual service and can explode. Fit a heat bank
(thermal store). No tanks just a cylinder off the mains. Explanation is
he
http://www.heatweb.com

Other companies make them. The Range Flowmax is good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Oct, 22:41, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Other companies make them. The Range Flowmax is good.- Hide quoted text -

I have had a look at the heatweb link you posted but cannot find any
reference to the Megaflow brand exploding. I have clearly missed
somthing here, can you be a bit more precise in your link. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chas" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 27 Oct, 22:41, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

It will cost you min' £60 to service per ann.
http://www.waterheaterblast.com
They can take down the side of a house.

The DPS Pandora does not even need an overflow or discharge pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct, 00:25, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Chas" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 27 Oct, 22:41, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

This link has taken me to a site that has deliberatly removed/plugged
all safety devices and contrived an explosion.
In your previous post you infer that heatweb say that Megaflow tanks
can explode, I cannot find the reference to this. What have I missed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct, 01:16, Chas wrote:

This link has taken me to a site that has deliberatly removed/plugged
all safety devices and contrived an explosion.
In your previous post you infer that heatweb say that Megaflow tanks
can explode, I cannot find the reference to this. What have I missed?- Hide quoted text -

There may be a teensy weensy bit of scaremongering going on. For some
reason this group seems to have very emotive responses to the
discussion of pretty mundane hot-water and heating systems, with
vehement and implacable postions being adopted.

This thread is likely to collapse imminently into a slanging match.
Just thank god you didn't suggest installing a combi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chas wrote:
On 28 Oct, 00:25, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Chas" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 27 Oct, 22:41, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

several years of doctor drivel's drivel.

He is killfiled by most regulars unless they feel like engaging in
amusing argument that leads bowehgere.

Drivel knows a lot of things. Sadly none of them are factual, and most
come out of glossy catalogues.

The consensus is that he is mentally unstable, and has a fixation about
plumbing, and the nurses give him access to a computer and plumbing
catalogues to keep him quiet, when the medication necessary to remove
the conviction that he is Bob the Builder cut in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chas" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 28 Oct, 00:25, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Chas" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 27 Oct, 22:41, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Yes. To show you what happens when things go wrong.

In your previous post you infer that
heatweb say that Megaflow tanks
can explode, I cannot find the reference
to this. What have I missed?

You have missed common sense. ALL unvented cylinders can explode if all
safety aspects fail. That was obvious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have had a look at the heatweb link you posted but cannot find any
reference to the Megaflow brand exploding. I have clearly missed
somthing here, can you be a bit more precise in your link. Thanks.

You might also get struck by lightening - probably just as likely.

It will cost you min' £60 to service per ann.
http://www.waterheaterblast.com
They can take down the side of a house.

If you cut your break line and drive fast at a wall you could hurt
yourself as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have had a look at the heatweb link you posted but cannot find any
reference to the Megaflow brand exploding. I have clearly missed
somthing here, can you be a bit more precise in your link. Thanks.

You might also get struck by lightening - probably just as likely.

It will cost you min' £60 to service per ann.
http://www.waterheaterblast.com
They can take down the side of a house.

If you cut your break line and drive fast at a wall you could hurt
yourself as well.

Or even Brake line..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have had a look at the heatweb link you posted but cannot find any
reference to the Megaflow brand exploding. I have clearly missed
somthing here, can you be a bit more precise in your link. Thanks.

You might also get struck by lightening - probably just as likely.

You are clearly a Chav from Essex.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 16:17:33 -0700 someone who may be Chas
wrote this:-

I have had a look at the heatweb link you posted but cannot find any
reference to the Megaflow brand exploding.

I have no idea which brand was involved, but ISTR it was an
"unvented" system which exploded in the case outlined in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6500565.stm though I
would not argue against such systems from this and other cases.
Provided they are looked after properly such systems are acceptably
safe, though I wouldn't want one where large volumes of water could
pour on anyone below.

Vented systems can also explode, or indeed collapse, though they are
more forgiving and they are less likely to cause as much damage if
it does happen.

As for thermal stores the two on the right in the photograph on
http://www.mcdonald-engineers.com/pr.../thermflow.htm have header
tanks built into the top of the unit. This would be the only header
tank you would need and it would feed the heating as well as the
thermal store. As long as this is above the highest radiator there
will be no problem. Cold and hot water would be at mains pressure,
so your en suite shower would work fine.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:14:24 -0700, gddixon wrote:

Hi All and thanks for looking,

I'm having the loft converted in our semi-detached in Guildford,
Surrey. It'll end up being the largest room in the house. I'm putting
an en suite shower room up there too, directly above the current
bathroom - that also houses the hot water tank.

I've been thinking of changing our current batheroom in any case, and
the water system with it, and the loft conversion company mentioned
installing a megaflo system with direct pressure from the mains and
storage tanks concealed around the eaves of the loft.

Has anyone on this board:

a) Ever done this successfully

Yes (me).

b) Any knowledge of the flow rate required - my in-laws have direct
mains pressure feeds and their flow rate is the same as mine (around
18 lpm)

Good do a lot better. If the incomer is the original lead or even 20mm
plastic then an upgrade is called for.

c) Any idea of the cost of altering the mains to increase the flow

How long is a piece of string. Depends on length, ground and access.
Not less than several hundred.

d) Any recommendations for manufacturer of megaflo systems

Well genuine Megaflo's are by Heatrae Sadia.
Albion, Telford, Ariston, Santon are worth a look.

Oh, and there are not legal to fit unless you hold a G3 ticket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:14:24 -0700, gddixon wrote:

I've been thinking of changing our current batheroom in any case, and
the water system with it, and the loft conversion company mentioned
installing a megaflo system with direct pressure from the mains and
storage tanks concealed around the eaves of the loft.

Maybe you should look for someone who understands the technology then: if
you did go for a Megaflo (or other make of unvented DHW system) then you
wouldn't need a storage tank - let alone tanks, plural.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Water_Systems

--
John Stumbles

Fundamentalist agnostic

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:14:24 -0700, gddixon wrote:

I've been thinking of changing our current batheroom in any case, and
the water system with it, and the loft conversion company mentioned
installing a megaflo system with direct pressure from the mains and
storage tanks concealed around the eaves of the loft.

Maybe you should look for someone who understands the technology then: if
you did go for a Megaflo (or other make of unvented DHW system) then you
wouldn't need a storage tank - let alone tanks, plural.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Water_Systems

Megaflo or not, an unvented cylinder still requires an annual service
charge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've been thinking of changing our current batheroom in any case, and
the water system with it, and the loft conversion company mentioned
installing a megaflo system with direct pressure from the mains and
storage tanks concealed around the eaves of the loft.

You would not really need any other storage tanks with a mains pressure
water system.

You could also look at a thermal store as well:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Heat_bank

b) Any knowledge of the flow rate required - my in-laws have direct
mains pressure feeds and their flow rate is the same as mine (around
18 lpm)

That sounds a bit on the low side for ideal performance - but might just
hack it depending on your usage.

c) Any idea of the cost of altering the mains to increase the flow

Starting at half a k upwards probably.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all your responses. This has set me on the way. I
appreciate all the links.

cheers

Gaz