Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting with exterior emulsion

I have just had the outside of my new kitchen extension sand/cement
waterproof rendered. I now want to paint it with exterior emulsion. What is
the process for painting new render.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TWEEZER wrote:
I have just had the outside of my new kitchen extension sand/cement
waterproof rendered. I now want to paint it with exterior emulsion. What is
the process for painting new render.

Put brush in paint and move brush up and down on wall?

i.e. nothing special., HOWEVER if the wall is subject to driving rain
and heavy frost, consider using a waterproofer first. I got SOME
spalling on a new render wall where the rain was 'bouncing' off some
lead topped window frames, soaking into the render and freezing - this
on a dank north west facing wall.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
TWEEZER wrote:
I have just had the outside of my new kitchen extension sand/cement
waterproof rendered. I now want to paint it with exterior emulsion.
What is the process for painting new render.

Put brush in paint and move brush up and down on wall?

i.e. nothing special., HOWEVER if the wall is subject to driving rain
and heavy frost, consider using a waterproofer first. I got SOME
spalling on a new render wall where the rain was 'bouncing' off some
lead topped window frames, soaking into the render and freezing - this
on a dank north west facing wall.

Thanks

S/SW facing is the most vulnerable in the long term. A solvent based
pliolite paint from e.g. Johnstones would be a better bet than ordinary
masonry paint. Expensive, but well worth it IME
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TWEEZER wrote:
I have just had the outside of my new kitchen extension sand/cement
waterproof rendered. I now want to paint it with exterior emulsion.
What is the process for painting new render.

Put brush in paint and move brush up and down on wall?

i.e. nothing special., HOWEVER if the wall is subject to driving rain
and heavy frost, consider using a waterproofer first. I got SOME
spalling on a new render wall where the rain was 'bouncing' off some
lead topped window frames, soaking into the render and freezing - this
on a dank north west facing wall.

Thanks

S/SW facing is the most vulnerable in the long term. A solvent based
pliolite paint from e.g. Johnstones would be a better bet than ordinary
masonry paint. Expensive, but well worth it IME

Only from UV degradation, but IME that is not an issue with modern paints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TWEEZER wrote:
I have just had the outside of my new kitchen extension sand/cement
waterproof rendered. I now want to paint it with exterior emulsion.
What is the process for painting new render.

Put brush in paint and move brush up and down on wall?

i.e. nothing special., HOWEVER if the wall is subject to driving rain
and heavy frost, consider using a waterproofer first. I got SOME
spalling on a new render wall where the rain was 'bouncing' off some
lead topped window frames, soaking into the render and freezing -
this on a dank north west facing wall.

Thanks

S/SW facing is the most vulnerable in the long term. A solvent based
pliolite paint from e.g. Johnstones would be a better bet than
ordinary masonry paint. Expensive, but well worth it IME

Only from UV degradation, but IME that is not an issue with modern paints.

Looking at the houses round here, all S/SW facing windows are shot to
pieces, or have been replaced. Opposite side of the road, mostly
original woodwork.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TWEEZER wrote:
[...]

Quite. The lifetime of paint on the windows in S/W facing rear of our house was
about 18 months, no matter how carefully it was prepared and what paint was
used. I gave up and had uPVC instead. The masonry paint lasts quite well.

IME standard water based masonry paint is mainly cosmetic. It survives
if the masonry itself is in good nick. The pliolite stuff is better on
degraded render and IME is very effective against penetrating damp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 11:56 am, Huge wrote:
Quite. The lifetime of paint on the windows in S/W facing rear of our house was
about 18 months, no matter how carefully it was prepared and what paint was
used. I gave up and had uPVC instead. The masonry paint lasts quite well.

Often paint flakes off from the wood itself, so a lot depends on the
primer and correct preparation.

Ironically some better quality timber is harder to get the primer to
stay on.

The best primer and paint for this sort of thing is usually absent
from the shelves of the local 'shed'....

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TWEEZER wrote:
[...]

Windows and wood, yes. Render, no.

Read the OP.

painting over gloss on brick walls with emulsion [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 30th 07 02:36 AM
exterior painting Rocket Ron UK diy 1 October 28th 05 12:43 PM
Painting over Gloss paint with Emulsion tedcat99 Home Repair 6 April 21st 05 03:00 AM
Exterior Painting Tom UK diy 6 April 4th 05 03:21 PM
exterior painting Me Home Repair 2 March 9th 05 08:37 PM