Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default recessed spotlight wiring.

I'm planning on replacing the kitchen strip-light with either 4 or 6
recessed halogen spotlights.

How do take the single cable which currently feeds the strip-light and
branch it out to 6 spotlights?
Do I use a junction box?

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
I'm planning on replacing the kitchen strip-light with either 4 or 6
recessed halogen spotlights.

How do take the single cable which currently feeds the strip-light and
branch it out to 6 spotlights?
Do I use a junction box?

If they are mains you can use a junction box and 'star' connect or daisy
chain. It makes no difference.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 5:06 pm, wrote:
I'm planning on replacing the kitchen strip-light with either 4 or 6
recessed halogen spotlights.

How do take the single cable which currently feeds the strip-light and
branch it out to 6 spotlights?
Do I use a junction box?

Mark.

Use low voltage downlighters, more efficient, better quality of light
and much better lamp life.
Get a kit which plugs together for simplicity.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Oct 12, 5:06 pm, wrote:
I'm planning on replacing the kitchen strip-light with either 4 or 6
recessed halogen spotlights.

How do take the single cable which currently feeds the strip-light and
branch it out to 6 spotlights?
Do I use a junction box?

Use low voltage downlighters, more efficient, better quality of light
and much better lamp life.

Oh, you've done it now...

Or maybe you're a troll?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 8:33 pm, Lobster wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Oct 12, 5:06 pm, wrote:
I'm planning on replacing the kitchen strip-light with either 4 or 6
recessed halogen spotlights.

How do take the single cable which currently feeds the strip-light and
branch it out to 6 spotlights?
Do I use a junction box?

Use low voltage downlighters, more efficient, better quality of light
and much better lamp life.

Oh, you've done it now...

Or maybe you're a troll?

David

Oh dear what have I said, or is it a CFL fan club in here.

LV downlighters get better efficiency lumens per watt than line
voltage incan lamps.
Higher colour temperature and better beam control because of smaller
filament.
Much better lamp life than GU10 MR16s, have some LV lamps that are
past there 10th birthday with a few hours day use.
Good transfomers wont buzz, but cost about as much as a whole kit out
of a shed, can reccomend Mode and IBL.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Oh, you've done it now...

Or maybe you're a troll?

David

Seems a little harsh Lobster....

Oh dear what have I said, or is it a CFL fan club in here.

Na, we are pretty equally divided on them ;-)

LV downlighters get better efficiency lumens per watt than line
voltage incan lamps.
Higher colour temperature and better beam control because of smaller
filament.
Much better lamp life than GU10 MR16s, have some LV lamps that are
past there 10th birthday with a few hours day use.
Good transfomers wont buzz, but cost about as much as a whole kit out
of a shed, can reccomend Mode and IBL.

The option of using dichroic lamps is also worth mentioning with LV
setups, since this projects less heat forward and gives an improvement
in light whiteness again.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:

Oh, you've done it now...

Or maybe you're a troll?

Seems a little harsh Lobster....

Sorry, wasn't intended.... perhaps I should have included a :-)

Oh dear what have I said, or is it a CFL fan club in here.

Na, we are pretty equally divided on them ;-)

Not sure about that, ISTR every time downlighters are mentioned here
there seems to be a resounding chorus of disapproval!

We have quite a few at home, fitted by yours truly at SWMBO's behest.
Personally I don't particularly like them, mainly because of the power
consumption issue

LV downlighters get better efficiency lumens per watt than line
voltage incan lamps.

If you say so; but the practicality is that they only illuminate a
downward pool of light rather than the whole room, which is why my small
bathroom needs 4 of the buggers totalling 140W, whereas a 20W CFL would
light the room more effectively, at one-seventh of the power usage.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 12, 5:06 pm, wrote:
I'm planning on replacing the kitchen strip-light with either 4 or 6
recessed halogen spotlights.

How do take the single cable which currently feeds the strip-light and
branch it out to 6 spotlights?
Do I use a junction box?

Mark.

Use low voltage downlighters, more efficient, better quality of light
and much better lamp life.
Get a kit which plugs together for simplicity.

Just make sure the transformer doesn't buzz like mad like my parents and
several others I have heard.

Steven.