Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

Default where to by a bradawl?

... or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AA" wrote in message
ups.com...
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Was you looking in the woodwork tools department? or the local handyans
store.

Have you a small srewdriver? cut the shaft in half and grind to a point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"AA" wrote in message
ups.com...
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Try Google

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0209298

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:
"AA" wrote in message
ups.com...
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Try Google

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0209298

I don't know which the OP wanted, but I tend to like to have the
flat blade (as shown) and the sharp point version. (Mine is square cross
section so digs quite well), the single point ones seem rarer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message

Try Google

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0209298

Tony

Got my profile gauge from there...
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0209036

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm Gray" wrote in message
TMC wrote:
"AA" wrote in message
ups.com...
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Try Google

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0209298

I don't know which the OP wanted, but I tend to like to have the
flat blade (as shown) and the sharp point version. (Mine is square cross
section so digs quite well), the single point ones seem rarer.

Blimey! a center punch will do the trick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Blimey! a center punch will do the trick.

A nail?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try a second hand shop which does house clearances?

My small collection of bradawls comes from a time when drills weren't that
common or cheap and you started all your screw holes with one.

Ooops!

Top posting courtesy of OE :-(

"AA" wrote in message
ups.com...
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 4:33 pm, AA wrote:
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Wickes, got one in there last week for a few quid (cant remember the
exact price) and the Wickes here is pretty small so i guess they would
have it everywhere

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

It is - I'm really surprised B&Q didn't have it.

Or maybe with the advent of powertools and modern screws and which don't
need pilot holes, perhaps the bradawl is destined for the scrap bin of
history?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:09:20 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Try a second hand shop which does house clearances?

My small collection of bradawls comes from a time when drills weren't that
common or cheap and you started all your screw holes with one.

Ooops!

Top posting courtesy of OE :-(

"AA" wrote in message
oups.com...

AA's content snipped

Not really, OE just puts the cursor there by default, you (obviously)
can place it anywhere you chose.

If you just type in your text there because that's where the cursor
happens to be, there are people on here who will tell you that it's
like ****ting in your pants because that's where your arsehole is.

You could go to :

And get a fix, and some useful enhancements.

OTOH there much better (free) newsreaders than OE.

IMHO Forte Agent is one, but opinions vary as to which is *the best*.

HTH

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
AA wrote:
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

It is - I'm really surprised B&Q didn't have it.

Whaddyaknow:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=bradawl&selected=p roducts&x=19&y=13

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mpt1978" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 10, 4:33 pm, AA wrote:
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Wickes, got one in there last week for a few quid (cant remember the
exact price) and the Wickes here is pretty small so i guess they would
have it everywhere

Mine also came from Wickes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:48:45 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

AA wrote:
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

It is - I'm really surprised B&Q didn't have it.

I got one in our local (normal) B&Q about a year ago.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct, 20:02, Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:
AA wrote:
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

It is - I'm really surprised B&Q didn't have it.

Whaddyaknow:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=bra...

David

I didn't know you could buy them! I just thought they got handed down
from father to son. I have two - one was my Dad's and the other my
Grandad's. Incidentally my Dad always called it a "sprigbit" not a
bradawl - I'm not sure if this is a regional language variation
(Lancashire) or are there actually two different tools?

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:37:19 GMT, George wrote:

"AA" wrote in message
ups.com...
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Was you looking in the woodwork tools department? or the local handyans
store.

Have you a small srewdriver? cut the shaft in half and grind to a point.

My solution too.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct, 21:30, petek wrote:
On 10 Oct, 20:02, Lobster wrote:

Lobster wrote:
AA wrote:
[...]

Never heard of a "sprigbit", but I was taught that a bradawl is the
pointy-ended thing you use to poke a straight hole for a nail (aka
brad) but you start screws with a _gimlet_ which has a conical screw
thread leading to a fluted shaft. Nowadays, I guess we all use a power
drill, though hand tools can be easier in a tight spot.

But I agree it's getting hard to find basic tools in the sheds. I was
looking unsuccessfully for a 1/4" round file the other day, the
several I inherited from dad/granddads having gone walkies.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
Have you a small srewdriver? cut the shaft in half and grind to a
point.

My solution too.

A screwdriver with a thin enough shaft like a bradawl will have too small
a handle to press into wood with comfort.

--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:

.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

I don't want to chase around town or order online for something worth
only a few quid.

Any suggestions?

Buy a cheap screwdriver that is comfortable in your hand and a cheap
rough cut file and make your own. Just make sure that you file it to a
slow taper. This can be done by hand.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

I don't know which the OP wanted, but I tend to like to have the
flat blade (as shown) and the sharp point version. (Mine is square cross
section so digs quite well), the single point ones seem rarer.

FWIW I much prefer the ground square shaft version, with a slow taper
to a point. Unfortunately this seems to come with a more expensive
price tag ... made by eg. Marples at nearly a fiver a pop. You do get
a wooden handle though. I think silverline do a cheaper version.

I've found them in _decent_ (old-fashioned or trade) tool shops within
the last year. Online, eBay do them cheaper, but by the time you've
added on postage ...

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:
On 10 Oct, 20:02, Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:
AA wrote:
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no
luck, then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

It is - I'm really surprised B&Q didn't have it.

Whaddyaknow:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=bra...

David

I didn't know you could buy them! I just thought they got handed down
from father to son. I have two - one was my Dad's and the other my
Grandad's. Incidentally my Dad always called it a "sprigbit" not a
bradawl - I'm not sure if this is a regional language variation
(Lancashire) or are there actually two different tools?

When I were a lad (NW Wales) , we also called it both a bradawl and a
sprigbit ( though less commonly).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...

Nowadays, I guess we all use a power
drill, though hand tools can be easier in a tight spot.

I still pick up my noddy hand drill for little stuff - lighter than the
power drill and satisfying to not be using power to do something.

(s'pose if I got a cordless I'd use that, but I don't really do enough to
make the lack of one a pain.)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

Thanks for all the ideas. Unfortunately no Wilkinsons or Wickes in
Cambridge. Maybe I'll make one as some have suggested. Despite
reported B&Q sightings I've had no luck in two.

Like people say, just one of those things that gets inherited from
parents toolboxes that you take for granted (until you lose them).
But at least I know they can still be bought!

Thanks for the helpful sugggestions to use a nail or centrepunch but
my bradawl was so convenient. Plus, came in handy for all sorts of
other things around the house (curiously I can't remember any right
now, though I assume they involved poking holes in things!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas. Unfortunately no Wilkinsons or Wickes in
Cambridge.

Well, if you are in Cambridge then either McKays or Ridgeons should have
them.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas. Unfortunately no Wilkinsons or Wickes in
Cambridge. Maybe I'll make one as some have suggested. Despite
reported B&Q sightings I've had no luck in two.

Try that HW place on Mill Road - across the bridge.

Ridgeons or Mackays are possibles as well.

Like people say, just one of those things that gets inherited from
parents toolboxes that you take for granted (until you lose them).
But at least I know they can still be bought!

Car boot sales and ebay suggest themselves.

Thanks for the helpful sugggestions to use a nail or centrepunch but
my bradawl was so convenient. Plus, came in handy for all sorts of
other things around the house (curiously I can't remember any right
now, though I assume they involved poking holes in things!).

You should be able to buy at leasts the sorts of handles intended for
needle files, and epoxy one on to a bit of snapped off drill ground to a
flat point..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message
s.com...
On 10 Oct, 20:02, Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:
AA wrote:
.. or is it an awl (forgive my ignorance) - the thing I mean is a
spike with a handle that I use to poke a pilot hole/dent for screws
and any other general "poking" jobs. It went missing in action,
probably under a shower tray or something. I looked in B&Q - no luck,
then Homebase - no luck. I thought it was a basic tool

It is - I'm really surprised B&Q didn't have it.

Whaddyaknow:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=bra...

David

I didn't know you could buy them! I just thought they got handed down
from father to son.

Or mother to daughter.

So did I, we have several and they're used a lot.

I have two - one was my Dad's and the other my
Grandad's. Incidentally my Dad always called it a "sprigbit" not a
bradawl - I'm not sure if this is a regional language variation
(Lancashire) or are there actually two different tools?

I haven't heard that but I'm from r'other side of t'hill.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AA" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks for all the ideas. Unfortunately no Wilkinsons or Wickes in
Cambridge. Maybe I'll make one as some have suggested. Despite
reported B&Q sightings I've had no luck in two.

You're in Cambridge and are having difficulty finding a tool?!! Do you know
about Mackays?

http://www.mackay.co.uk/webstore/acatalog/3418.html

but they're a real shop. If you've never been there, you really should do.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 6:09 pm, "David W.E. Roberts" wrote:
Try a second hand shop which does house clearances?

My small collection of bradawls comes from a time when drills weren't that
common or cheap and you started all your screw holes with one.

Ooops!

Top posting courtesy of OE :-(

You know you've done it so you left it as it was, courtesy of being a
total ****wit.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

On Oct 11, 2:33 pm, "Clive George" wrote:

You're in Cambridge and are having difficulty finding a tool?!! Do you know
about Mackays?

Well I never! Less than 1km away and I've never seen it. Though I
rarely take the East Road from that roundabout & if I do I'm normally
focussed on traffic. Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AA" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 11, 2:33 pm, "Clive George" wrote:

You're in Cambridge and are having difficulty finding a tool?!! Do you
know
about Mackays?

Well I never! Less than 1km away and I've never seen it. Though I
rarely take the East Road from that roundabout & if I do I'm normally
focussed on traffic. Thanks!

If you've got any sort of tool fetish, just remember to keep your mouth
closed when you're inside otherwise it gets all messy...

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I have no idea what a ginlet is for.

It's a small gin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:10:55 +0100, wrote:

On 11 Oct,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Ahh! I thought an awl was a pointy thing, a bradawl was like a small
screwdriver - the flat blade designed to break the grain at right angles -
and I have no idea what a ginlet is for.

A gimlet was a pointy threaded thing with a curved T handle for screwing in
to make a hole.

Indeed. My grandfather had several of those in a couple of real
home-made toolboxes. The gimlet made the hole in the 'upper' piece of
wood and the bradawl made a start in the lower piece for the screw.
A serious hole was made with an auger, which was somewhat like a big
gimlet but sometimes had a head for an interchangeable handle.
A bradawl has a rather bulbous, normally wooden, handle, to prevent
blisters on the palm of your hand.

Those toolboxes were fascinating, with loads of real woodworking bits
'n' pieces and a musty sort of smell (probably woodworm!).

Screwdrivers were just screwdrivers - none of this
Pozidriv/Supadriv/Phillips malarky.

Isn't it odd how you remember things from those days? I remember
watching/'helping' Grandpa painting his stepladders with dark brown
CWS paint.

I can't remember what I did a couple of days ago...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 11, 4:35 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"AA" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 11, 2:33 pm, "Clive George" wrote:

You're in Cambridge and are having difficulty finding a tool?!! Do you
know about Mackays?

Well I never! Less than 1km away and I've never seen it. Though I
rarely take the East Road from that roundabout & if I do I'm normally
focussed on traffic. Thanks!

If you've got any sort of tool fetish, just remember to keep your mouth
closed when you're inside otherwise it gets all messy...

You are also advised to make sure that your significant other has
control of all cards, cash, cheques, and anything that might be used
to scrawl an IOU /before/ you go inside.

On a more serious note, Mackays will sell you one screw if you have a
need for it (and they *do* have the size/material/head you require in
stock). I've just bought four coach screws for 72p, and while
Screwfix may be cheaper if you need 200, that would leave me with 196
that I don't have a use for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com, Martin
Bonner scribeth thus
On Oct 11, 4:35 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"AA" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Http://www.mackay.co.uk/webstore/acatalog/shop.html

Always took them for granted ever since I was at school in the Sixties

Another useful shop though their website is mainly about clothing now they do
loads of odd hardware buts and ropes of all kinds and wire..

http://www.simpers.co.uk/index.html

They haven't as yet got a website but the local legendary shop is H Gee down
at 74 Mill road they have most anything electronic but allow a day or so for
them to find it;!..

One o those small shops that still make shopping a positive delight!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 12:01 pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article . com, Martin
Bonner scribeth thus

On Oct 11, 4:35 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"AA" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I'm not surprised they don't have a website - for a shop that sells
such hi-tech stuff they are very old fashioned (they still have half-
day closing!)

My boss 15 years ago described Gee's as the sort of shop where you go
in, they blow the dust off the part you want, and charge you 2/6
because that's what the price sticker says. I expect that they have
rotated out /most/ of their pre-decimalization stock by now.

(P.S. I think half-day closing is a /good/ idea - shop keepers should
have lives too.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

I used to live off Mill Road in Cambridge (ie. near the legendary
Gee's) until a few years ago. I believe the older guy (Mr. Gee?) has
died since I was there ;-(.

I was in there once waiting to be served, and listening to the guy in
front of me. He was trying to do a D-I-Y repair of a photocopier,
which had somehow damaged/broken its corona wires. They were quite
happy to suggest and sell him some 40swg or similar nichrome wire for
him to have a go with...

I thought his chances of success were close to zero, but was delighted
that they were willing to help him out with his experiments...

jon N